World Cup 2018

eaglejelly

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2017 at 2:47 PM, eaglejelly said:

WTF! How can the US not make into the top 4 of  CONCACAF? I'm not American, but this still pisses me off. USA has to be part of the world cup.

It's bullsh!t, but probably necessary to restructure the program. My Greeks are also on their way out, barring a miracle this afternoon. Needless to say, I'm bitter and angry about this World Cup and my lack of representation in it.

55 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Holy crap, no Italy next year either

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And the Dutch, potentially no Oceania teams at all, no Chile, Ivory Coast, Argentina barely made it. And some of these teams that did make it are insane (at least historically); Iceland, Morocco, Panama, Saudi Arabia. 

June 2018 is for baseball. 

The joke of it is one of the same big seven (sans Italy) is probably still going to win it unless a team like Belgium has a breakthrough.  There hasn't been a true Cinderella winning the WC like ever, there've been some Cinderella European Champions though.

The Saudis have made the WC a few times, so has Morocco.

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The joke of it is one of the same big seven (sans Italy) is probably still going to win it unless a team like Belgium has a breakthrough.  There hasn't been a true Cinderella winning the WC like ever, there've been some Cinderella European Champions though.

The Saudis have made the WC a few times, so has Morocco.

I really think Belgium's window in this era has closed. They were in the conversation the last two major tournaments as a top team in the world. They strolled through an absurdly easy group, too. 

I was mostly referring to Iceland as being an insane story historically, but if you keep up with the development of the sport there, you know it makes dense that they've been able to produce enough quality players. 

Man I should've been Icelandic. They have a UEFA B or higher coach for every 800 residents of the country. With all the attention you get coming up in a system like that, it's hard to not be good enough if you put the work in. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 11:24 AM, eaglejelly said:

Russia ends up with the easiest group possible, what a coincident.:o

Portugal and Spain in the same group??  Brutal.  

Seems like Uruguay has a good group stage but will be quickly tested by the Group B second place finisher.  Germany and France also look strong from the little I know about the international teams.  

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree on Belgium, I thought 2014 was their year to make a run, but I think the window has closed. US was a disaster this entire qualifying...Sucks that Pulisic will miss out on the tournament, but hopefully this will usher in some change to the US system, most of the US younger players are coming out of Europe because the US developmental system has failed...

• 5 months later...

Although I’ll watch, can’t say I’m all that excited. No US, no Holland who’s usually my second team, and just like the NBA only the big teams win in the end. It’d be nice to see some African team make the final four (which hasn’t happened yet) or some new European team make a Cinderella run to a title, but that likely won’t happen unless Belgium or Portugal finally put it all together.

Spain Brazil & Germany are stacked, but I'd really like to see a Belgium / Argentina final...
While I want Germany to repeat, my money is on Spain. They looked scary good in a friendly against Germany recently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 11/12/2017 at 1:42 PM, thecoffeecake said:

It's bullsh!t, but probably necessary to restructure the program. My Greeks are also on their way out, barring a miracle this afternoon. Needless to say, I'm bitter and angry about this World Cup and my lack of representation in it.

Greece hasn't been able to develop a midfielder or forward worth a damn since, well....?

Their defense on the other hand is pretty damn good and Retsos & Mavropanos look good, but they can't compete with more talented teams.

Edited by Derlique

1 hour ago, Derlique said:

Greece hasn't been able to develop a midfielder or forward worth a damn since, well....?

Their defense on the other hand is pretty damn good and Retsos & Mavropanos look good, but they can't compete with more talented teams.

They'll never be a world power, especially with so much money drained from culture and athletics with the economic crisis, but they put some competitive teams together and are often coming out of tough groups to qualify for these tournaments. They missed out on the quarters in 2014 on penalties (I was actually on a plane on my way to Greece when they lost to Costa Rica. Can't imagine how crazy it would've been to be there for it if they'd advanced), they won the Euros in 04.

They've had some solid attacking players come through in recent generations. Samaras, Mitroglou, Kone, Amanatidis, Gekas. They've reached as high as 8 in the FIFA rankings, and that was 08. Let's not act like they have some bare bones program with no history. I also wasn't even claiming they deserved to be there, I was just lamenting the fact that I have zero rooting interest in the world cup for the first time in my life. 

24 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

They'll never be a world power, especially with so much money drained from culture and athletics with the economic crisis, but they put some competitive teams together and are often coming out of tough groups to qualify for these tournaments. They missed out on the quarters in 2014 on penalties (I was actually on a plane on my way to Greece when they lost to Costa Rica. Can't imagine how crazy it would've been to be there for it if they'd advanced), they won the Euros in 04.

They've had some solid attacking players come through in recent generations. Samaras, Mitroglou, Kone, Amanatidis, Gekas. They've reached as high as 8 in the FIFA rankings, and that was 08. Let's not act like they have some bare bones program with no history. I also wasn't even claiming they deserved to be there, I was just lamenting the fact that I have zero rooting interest in the world cup for the first time in my life. 

I am Greek as well and cheer for them over USA and everyone else. Of those guys you listed, Mitroglou is the only one who has actually been successful at bigger European clubs. Kone toiled around in the lower Serie A, Gekas and Amanatidis were ok. Samaras was good at Celtic for awhile, but I wouldn't consider that a big team. The last stud they produced in the midfield was Karagounis. That was my guy.

43 minutes ago, Derlique said:

I am Greek as well and cheer for them over USA and everyone else. Of those guys you listed, Mitroglou is the only one who has actually been successful at bigger European clubs. Kone toiled around in the lower Serie A, Gekas and Amanatidis were ok. Samaras was good at Celtic for awhile, but I wouldn't consider that a big team. The last stud they produced in the midfield was Karagounis. That was my guy.

It's honestly a toss up for me, but I'd probably have to lean USA because that's where my passport is from, and I've been so involved with the game and player development in this country. I do have a cousin over there that made his way to the Superleague, and if he ever gets a national team cap I might have to side closer to the Greeks, but I'm not sure that'll ever happen. It's not like the countries ever play each other. 

25 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Even for soccer that’s ruthless. Brings back memories of Bo Schembeckler saying ‘I want a Michigan man coaching Michigan’ before the 1989 NCAA tournament - which they actually won with their interim coach (Steve Fischer).

Unfortunately it didn't work when Lou did it with Claude Julien

22 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

Unfortunately it didn't work when Lou did it with Claude Julien

Define not working, they did win a playoff round. Their ceiling that year was likely second round and out anyway. It certainly did work in 2000, cause that team was headed for a first round flameout after a late collapse a la 2010.

I was just comparing those two situations cause of the specific reason the coach got fired.

• 2 weeks later...

so basically a week in so crazy things.. Argentina looks lost to me, they have played terribly.

Brazil although in control has not looked great either.

Belgium played great in their 1 game would like to see that continue ( especially since I bet on them :-) & Spain)

Croatia has probably been the surprise of the tournament, I think they have looked great.,

I just don't understand Löw this campaign. What is the point of playing Werner as your striker and end up spending the game crossing into the box if you have Mario Gomez on the bench and you're wasting Müller on the wings where he is nowhere as dangerous as he is when he plays more centrally?