Only 6 years between posts lol

SC Devs Fan

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

In case Pepperkorn is lurking, Scotty believes in this years team! :evil: He's just agreed to return to the NHL Network. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/scott-stevens-impressed-by-devils-success/c-293740582

I think last night's win bought them a little more currency in certain circles.  As has been detailed, they've beaten their share of the better teams. 

For some reason, there's always a contingent of fans who have to make a big deal out of every loss (especially ones to "bad" teams) and treat every game as though it's a winnable entity, but the fact is that at this point in the season, there's just ONE team with less regulation losses:  Tampa Bay, with 6.  Three teams (including the Devils) have 7 each.  Every other team in the NHL has more regulation losses than the Devils. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

For some reason, there's always a contingent of fans who have to make a big deal out of every loss (especially ones to "bad" teams) and treat every game as though it's a winnable entity, but the fact is that at this point in the season, there's just ONE team with less regulation losses:  Tampa Bay, with 6.  Three teams (including the Devils) have 7 each.  Every other team in the NHL has more regulation losses than the Devils. 

That's a stat that I like hearing. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2017 at 7:59 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Didn't really know which thread to post this in, but seeing as how this thread has a 'memory lane' theme to it, I figured this one was as good as any:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fvck Bon Jovi. Typical 80's jersey trash who wants to be a Benny so bad.  They all pull for the Rangers anyway, and i know this is over a decade old but I've never seen it, so fvck ESPN for trying to make their hockey programming appeal to us n the least relatable way possible. 

7 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

fvck Bon Jovi. Typical 80's jersey trash who wants to be a Benny so bad.  They all pull for the Rangers anyway, and i know this is over a decade old but I've never seen it, so fvck ESPN for trying to make their hockey programming appeal to us n the least relatable way possible. 

One thing that sucks about being from NJ (besides the very obvious, like high property taxes, high insurance, traffic, etc) are outsiders automatically assuming that I'm both a Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen fan because of where I'm born and raised...the same kind that ask "What exit?" and think they're hilarious by asking.

Bon Jovi sucks...never liked his cliché-driven "hard rock (insult to true hard rock)" crap, never will, never did a thing for me.  My mother is a big Bruce Springsteen fan and I grew up with his music blaring in my house (was my mom's Saturday ritual...she'd do some housecleaning and have Bruce going in the background), so I'm very familiar with much of his earlier work...I don't dislike him nearly as much as Bon Jovi, but his stuff never did all that much for me either.  But I've gotten my share of "How can you not like them...you're from New Jersey!"...even from fellow Jersey folk, on rare occasions.

That's part of the reason I think so many (including me) hated it when we got that awful Bon Jovi song forced on us, to replace R&R Part 2.  Like I said, some corporate dipsh!t(s) basically assumed that, well Bon Jovi is from NJ, so all these homogenous NJ sheep will just love this...aren't WE smart!  The first three words of your post say it all:  fvck Bon Jovi, heh heh.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One thing that sucks about being from NJ (besides the very obvious, like high property taxes, high insurance, traffic, etc) are outsiders automatically assuming that I'm both a Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen fan because of where I'm born and raised...the same kind that ask "What exit?" and think they're hilarious by asking.

Bon Jovi sucks...never liked his cliché-driven "hard rock (insult to true hard rock)" crap, never will, never did a thing for me.  My mother is a big Bruce Springsteen fan and I grew up with his music blaring in my house (was my mom's Saturday ritual...she'd do some housecleaning and have Bruce going in the background), so I'm very familiar with much of his earlier work...I don't dislike him nearly as much as Bon Jovi, but his stuff never did all that much for me either.  But I've gotten my share of "How can you not like them...you're from New Jersey!"...even from fellow Jersey folk, on rare occasions.

That's part of the reason I think so many (including me) hated it when we got that awful Bon Jovi song forced on us, to replace R&R Part 2.  Like I said, some corporate dipsh!t(s) basically assumed that, well Bon Jovi is from NJ, so all these homogenous NJ sheep will just love this...aren't WE smart!  The first three words of your post say it all:  fvck Bon Jovi, heh heh.   

If they're gonna play something from NJ they should play some Bigwig. That'd be badass

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

When I was in college I got a lot of that "what exit do you live near?" from other fellow New Jerseyans.  When I told them none as the nearest exit for either the Turnpike or the GSP was a solid 15-20 miles from me they look at me like I had three heads.  They immediately assumed I lived in the boonies and I would tell them that I didn't know living in the town right next to Bridgewater was country living.  Ah the memories.

I don't care for either Bon Jovi or Bruce.  Neither really did it for me.  I like Bruce more than Bon Jovi, but I never go out of my way to listen to their songs.  I cannot stand "Wanted Dead or Alive" and think it is one of the most overplayed pieces of drivel ever recorded.  I also don't care for Gaslight Anthem and most bands from NJ.  The only NJ band I really like are the Four Seasons (and this was way before the musical and movie came out) and I can tolerate the Smithereens.

18 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Also does anyone remember when the NHL got Southside Johnny for the 2014 Stadium Series?  God that was another example of some suit thinking he was clever in getting an "NJ guy" who has the same sound as Springsteen but for a fraction of the cost.

Couldn't name a single song off their catalog and I wouldn't recognize anything they've done by sound.  One of those bands that's just kind of been around forever (and that many have heard of) but I don't know a single person who's really into them.  Apparently they've had 100 members or so come and go through the years.

I may not be into Bon Jovi or Springsteen, but millions are, and I would definitely put both bands in the "Love it or hate it" category, especially Springsteen.  I've never met a casual Springsteen fan...the ones that I know are like MITB...they are 100% all-in, and going to one of his shows is almost like a religious experience...the guy could add date after date after date in NJ (he often does), and keep selling out.  Not many artists can boast that.

Bon Jovi isn't quite as polarizing as Springsteen can be, but I do find that those who hate his music (like me) really really can't stand it, and those who love his stuff can't get enough.  But you definitely have more "yeah, I guess he's OK" casual listeners among his fanbase that Bruce does. 

Back when I used to go out and hit bars that had good cover bands (90s-to-mid-00s), I used to cringe whenever the band would break out "Livin' On a Prayer"...my friends used to laugh and say "Damn you look miserable right now."  It wasn't a look.  I was. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bon Jovi are what they are, it's a concert that your wife makes you go to that you can sort of have a good time at because you know the songs. 

As far as Bruce goes, I think "my mother is a big Bruce Springsteen fan" is a common sentiment; mine was too. I don't know anyone my age or younger that would say they are a Bruce Springsteen fan. Also, he sings like he is trying really hard to push out a log.

Actually, Bruce and Bon Jovi may have that trait in common. Must be a New Jersey thing!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Bon Jovi are what they are, it's a concert that your wife makes you go to that you can sort of have a good time at because you know the songs. 

As far as Bruce goes, I think "my mother is a big Bruce Springsteen fan" is a common sentiment; mine was too. I don't know anyone my age or younger that would say they are a Bruce Springsteen fan. Also, he sings like he is trying really hard to push out a log.

Actually, Bruce and Bon Jovi may have that trait in common. Must be a New Jersey thing!

Man that is so true of both artists...lmao.

Someone who works for me told me a pretty cool story...said he went to some casual party down in South Jersey, and some guy who was running a little late had called the host and asked if he could bring his friend Bruce along.  The host said sure, no prob, the more the merrier.  Well, he was THAT Bruce, and he showed up just wearing shorts and a t-shirt and brought a case of beer with him...my employee said that most at the party got kind of quiet and star-struck at first, and Bruce apparently told everyone that it's cool, he's just here to hang and have a good time just like everyone else...and from that point on, he was very cool and personable and completely unpretentious. 

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man that is so true of both artists...lmao.

Someone who works for me told me a pretty cool story...said he went to some casual party down in South Jersey, and some guy who was running a little late had called the host and asked if he could bring his friend Bruce along.  The host said sure, no prob, the more the merrier.  Well, he was THAT Bruce, and he showed up just wearing shorts and a t-shirt and brought a case of beer with him...my employee said that most at the party got kind of quiet and star-struck at first, and Bruce apparently told everyone that it's cool, he's just here to hang and have a good time just like everyone else...and from that point on, he was very cool and personable and completely unpretentious. 

He just randomly shows up to bars around Asbury and will just play a whole set.  Imagine sitting at the bar eating your burger and Bruce walks in like "yeah I'm just gonna play now"

13 hours ago, Pepperkorn said:

heh heh. I am lurking.    not too much though. Nothing to say.  Just listening I guess.  It’s all pretty much been said 

Well thanks for popping back in! :D I always enjoyed what you had to say & miss seeing you around... 

And there's always more to say so if you feel like stopping by more often, please do so! :koolaid:

ETA: I didn't actually have a username when you posted - I just read for ages for the same reason - nothing to add really. 

Edited by LittleBallofHate

2 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

He just randomly shows up to bars around Asbury and will just play a whole set.  Imagine sitting at the bar eating your burger and Bruce walks in like "yeah I'm just gonna play now"

Yeah, fan or not, it's pretty cool that he'll just do that. 

Not sure if you're familiar with his catalog...for the album Nebraska (the track "Atlantic City" is on it), Bruce first recorded and wrote the songs himself, with minimal instrumentation, mostly to be used as demos for the E-Street Band...the E-Street band then came into the studio and recorded their tracks for all of the songs off that album, but then Bruce and his producers and engineers decided that the raw demo better captured the spirit of the album, so with some tweaking, the demos were instead released.  Fans apparently have been hoping for an "Electric Nebraska" for years and really want to see the full E-Street versions made available (Max Weinberg said the tracks were "Killing", in a good way), but apparently Bruce & Co feel that the right version of Nebraska was already out there. 

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, fan or not, it's pretty cool that he'll just do that. 

Not sure if you're familiar with his catalog...for the album Nebraska (the track "Atlantic City" is on it), Bruce first recorded and wrote the songs himself, with minimal instrumentation, mostly to be used as demos for the E-Street Band...the E-Street band then came into the studio and recorded their tracks for all of the songs off that album, but then Bruce and his producers and engineers decided that the raw demo better captured the spirit of the album, so with some tweaking, the demos were instead released.  Fans apparently have been hoping for an "Electric Nebraska" for years and really want to see the full E-Street versions made available (Max Weinberg said the tracks were "Killing", in a good way), but apparently Bruce & Co feel that the right version of Nebraska was already out there. 

It's like the reverse of what happened on the Let It Be album with the Beatles, but with them both versions were eventually released (albeit decades apart).

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Also does anyone remember when the NHL got Southside Johnny for the 2014 Stadium Series?  God that was another example of some suit thinking he was clever in getting an "NJ guy" who has the same sound as Springsteen but for a fraction of the cost.

I think I'm still defrosting from that game.  The coldest I've ever been at a sporting event. 

IIRC ... didn't those terrible excuses for musicians come on the stage wearing Rangers jerseys too?  I pretty sure they did because I remember a bunch of the Devils fans sitting in our section were booing them the whole time.  However, I was drinking heavily to "warm up," so I could have been mistaken as to why they were booing them.

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Bon Jovi are what they are, it's a concert that your wife makes you go to that you can sort of have a good time at because you know the songs

Pretty much this.  Not a big fan of Bon Jovi, but my wife loves him.  When the Rock opened, I got 4 tickets in the clubs to the opening night show and she had a great time with her friend while the friend's husband and I drank at the bar and walked around checking out the arena.  I will give Bon Jovi props and say he puts on a good show, but 80% of the crowd is women between 35-50 who turned back to the clock to 1985 and know every word of every song and sing it on the top of their lungs. 

I'm a Bruce fan.  He's definitely an acquired taste.  I think his songwriting is amazing, and really enjoy his music.  However, it wasn't something I got into until after I graduated from college.  I've been to a few of his concerts, and it's unreal how he has no opening act, plays for 4 hours straight, then will do it again the next night at the age of 60 something.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

TBH, it would be cool if the Devils managed to convince Bruce make an appearance at a SCF home game the next time it happens.  He has more cache than Bon Jovi in my opinion.

Yes. Though I've heard Bruce isn't a sports fan in any way and will probably charge a crazy appearance fee:P. Bon Jovi...seems very polarizing. Some people really hate the guy.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Yes. Though I've heard Bruce isn't a sports fan in any way and will probably charge a crazy appearance fee:P. Bon Jovi...seems very polarizing. Some people really hate the guy.

I don’t need a non-Sports fan showing up just because he’s so New Jersey. I’d rather have a celebrity who is a fan.