GDT: Devils @ Rangers 7:00 Garden

Jerzey

15 hours ago, Steven M. said:

Gotta love it 

I hope he never comes back to post here but he's like a cockaroch that just won't go away and will show up again when/if the Rangers are doing well. I've been sick of him for years and his nonsense that was allowed to be posted here. fvck him. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I hope he never comes back to post here but he's like a cockaroch that just won't go away and will show up again when if the Rangers are doing well. I've been sick of him for years and his nonsense that was allowed to be posted here. fvck him. 

I'm indifferent as to whether or not he comes back, but I've seen his cycle enough times to know how it will turn out if he does (I come in peace, inevitable cheapshots, eventual meltdown, I'm outta here).  His last run here was as predictable as it could get.   

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Triumph said:

Had an interesting experience with this game - I DVR'd it because I wasn't going to be able to watch it last night, kept away from Twitter etc., only to have Google's stupid notifications tell me the score.

Ugh. my bane of sports existence. I'm always DVR'ing games.  Shut your notification settings down on your app. That'll help.

I DVR'ed the USA-T&T gams only to have 4 people tell me we lost. I guess that was good.  I still haven't been able to watch it

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Ugh. my bane of sports existence. I'm always DVR'ing games.  Shut your notification settings down on your app. That'll help.

I DVR'ed the USA-T&T gams only to have 4 people tell me we lost. I guess that was good.  I still haven't been able to watch it

Unless you want to be completely pissed off do yourself a favor and don't watch it. It was such a pathetic, embarrassing performance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I never sign up for any notifications for exactly that reason. I watch the games. If I can't, then maybe I will request notifications and then immediately shut them off. But probably not, I usually just check manually. 

I will be away Friday and will, for the first time, either watch on MSG Go or from my DVR via the Verizon Fios App. That should be interesting. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Thanks - yeah, I couldn't figure out how to turn them off, which pissed me off even more, but a friend figured it out.

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I never sign up for any notifications for exactly that reason. I watch the games. If I can't, then maybe I will request notifications and then immediately shut them off. But probably not, I usually just check manually. 

I will be away Friday and will, for the first time, either watch on MSG Go or from my DVR via the Verizon Fios App. That should be interesting. 

If I signed up to be notified, I certainly don't remember doing that.

• Like 1

With DVR'ing sports you almost have to actually turn your phone off, or have someone tell you who a text is from. On a related note, its amazing that in 2017 there are still annoying sports tickers at the bottom of ESPN and other sports networks. I wish there was a way to turn it off. Not only does it run you the risk of seeing a score, but its distracting and takes up screen space. Theyre pointless. If i want to know a score, i'll go on my phone.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm indifferent as to whether or not he comes back, but I've seen his cycle enough times to know how it will turn out if he does (I come in peace, inevitable cheapshots, eventual meltdown, I'm outta here).  His last run here was as predictable as it could get.   

What's funny is that he came back a couple years ago where you said exactly this would happen.  Sure enough, it did.

6 hours ago, devlman said:

With DVR'ing sports you almost have to actually turn your phone off, or have someone tell you who a text is from. On a related note, its amazing that in 2017 there are still annoying sports tickers at the bottom of ESPN and other sports networks. I wish there was a way to turn it off. Not only does it run you the risk of seeing a score, but its distracting and takes up screen space. Theyre pointless. If i want to know a score, i'll go on my phone.

I never even thought of turning notifications off. I don't record games, but I watch most nights on illegal streams that are delayed at least a couple of minutes, and constantly have goals ruined by notifications. I used to group voice chat with my friends for games, some of whom would be watching on cable or Center Ice (or whatever the online one is), and their celebrating ruins goals. I even had Henrique's game 7 goal in Florida ruined because for some reason, the tvs at my grandparents' house were delayed separately. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hall really hasn't been anything special since the start of 2014...he's averaging 23.6 G per 82 games since then, on 8.7% shooting.  He's not going to finish this season at 5.6% (his rate so far), but like I've previously said, I can't expect more than 25 goals from him in any given season that he manages to play in all 82 games (he's done that just once in his career).

I still think he'll be a contributor here, but I also think the fact that he was a #1 overall pick means some people think he's going to suddenly kick up his production a notch or two.  I don't see it.  I think he'll be a little more productive as his Devil career unfolds, but not that much more than he is now.

Well, perhaps we have different expectations here. Hall lead our team in points last year. Yes, 53 points is nothing impressive but so goes coming to the Devils. I expect him, if he stays healthy, to get up into the 58-60 point range this year. He's a career 10.2% shooter. The past three years combined he has shot at 8.8%. He's shot well under that to start this season. At his current rate he is on pace to take 295.2 shots on net. He is averaging 3.6 shots per game and his career average is about 3.3 shots per game (that's not too far off) and in the past three years combined he has taken about the same: 3.3 shots per game. If he can shoot at 8.5% (.3% under what he's done the last three years), he'll score 25 goals given his current shot rate. If he shoots at 9%, he'll score 27. Now, of course his shots per game could decrease, or he might not play 82 games (though staying healthy has nothing to do with how well he's playing), but you can see how 58-60 points is fairly reasonable given his play so far and the fact that the Devils are better offensively this year.

Edited by Neb00rs

16 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I hope he never comes back to post here but he's like a cockaroch that just won't go away and will show up again when/if the Rangers are doing well. I've been sick of him for years and his nonsense that was allowed to be posted here. fvck him. 

I am indifferent to him, but the fact that any rangers fans are feeling like we 'took over' their building is pleasing to me

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

What's funny is that he came back a couple years ago where you said exactly this would happen.  Sure enough, it did.

Heh heh, you see a certain pattern of behavior enough times, you know where it's going.  Nothing that happened during that last cycle shocked me.  Ironically I actually had some solid dialogue with him here and there on a number of topics, but in the end Derek would always be Derek.

For me, the final straw was when he started a Devils GDT at 1:00 am in the morning or thereabouts, then said he did it because no one else on the board cared enough to (about his words).  You only do something like that to stir up trouble and to incite, with no real reason for doing so.  And that was always his MO...build up a certain level of "OK, maybe he really has changed", then start with unnecessary cheap shots...at that point, I knew for sure that it was just going to some more same ol same ol.  More and more I'm convinced that there's no such thing as a "cool Ranger fan"...that they all will show their douchey true colors eventually. 

I think anytime you spend considerable time in a rival board and you're generally accepted so long as you don't act like an ass and can show some level of objectivity, then don't be an ass.  Very simple.

16 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Well, perhaps we have different expectations here. Hall lead our team in points last year. Yes, 53 points is nothing impressive but so goes coming to the Devils. I expect him, if he stays healthy, to get up into the 58-60 point range this year. He's a career 10.2% shooter. The past three years combined he has shot at 8.8%. He's shot well under that to start this season. At his current rate he is on pace to take 295.2 shots on net. He is averaging 3.6 shots per game and his career average is about 3.3 shots per game (that's not too far off) and in the past three years combined he has taken about the same: 3.3 shots per game. If he can shoot at 8.5% (.3% under what he's done the last three years), he'll score 25 goals given his current shot rate. If he shoots at 9%, he'll score 27. Now, of course his shots per game could decrease, or he might not play 82 games (though staying healthy has nothing to do with how well he's playing), but you can see how 58-60 points is fairly reasonable given his play so far and the fact that the Devils are better offensively this year.

Actually looks like our expectations are about that same.  Like I said, I know his shooting% will not stay where it is on the season...he should be in the 8.00s somewhere (probably upper 8.00s).  You're thinking about 25 goals per 82 GP, I'm thinking he should be right around that pace...that's not much higher than the 23.6 per 82 I pointed out, so I'd consider that to be reasonable.  Still doesn't seem that great, especially for a guy who takes as many shots as he does.  Kind of like an NBA player who averages 19 PPG but shoots about 40%. 

He looks more and more like a complementary guy, which might be OK on this team, and if he can start playing 80+ games every season, you can do worse than a guy who can flirt with 60 points consistently each season...but that feels a little disappointing.  I don't think too many people thought that's what his upside would be as he entered his prime years.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Heh heh, you see a certain pattern of behavior enough times, you know where it's going.  Nothing that happened during that last cycle shocked me.  Ironically I actually had some solid dialogue with him here and there on a number of topics, but in the end Derek would always be Derek.

For me, the final straw was when he started a Devils GDT at 1:00 am in the morning or thereabouts, then said he did it because no one else on the board cared enough to (about his words).  You only do something like that to stir up trouble and to incite, with no real reason for doing so.  And that was always his MO...build up a certain level of "OK, maybe he really has changed", then start with unnecessary cheap shots...at that point, I knew for sure that it was just going to some more same ol same ol.  More and more I'm convinced that there's no such thing as "cool Ranger fan"...that they all will show their douchey true colors eventually. 

I think anytime you spend considerable time in a rival board and you're generally accepted so long as you don't act like an ass and can show some level of objectivity, then don't be an ass.  Very simple.

From what I remember it wasn't just the timing that did it, but he did it early so he could advertise his blog.

• Like 1

It's nice and all that we invaded their dump but can we focus on invading our building? Tonight is going to be a dismal crowd. It's too bad out of 11 games today we were picked for a rare home nationally televised game.

Edited by devlman

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

From what I remember it wasn't just the timing that did it, but he did it early so he could advertise his blog.

Yup this is correct, I was sick of him before that but that's what pissed me off to no end and I was the first one who saw that and called him out on his bs. 

2 hours ago, devlman said:

It's nice and all that we invaded their dump but can we focus on invading our building? Tonight is going to be a dismal crowd. It's too bad out of 11 games today we were picked for a rare home nationally televised game.

I'll be there, I even added an extra season ticket for this season in addition to the ones I already have. I don't know what more I'm supposed to do, I'm not getting paid to market the team and sell tickets lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Actually looks like our expectations are about that same.  Like I said, I know his shooting% will not stay where it is on the season...he should be in the 8.00s somewhere (probably upper 8.00s).  You're thinking about 25 goals per 82 GP, I'm thinking he should be right around that pace...that's not much higher than the 23.6 per 82 I pointed out, so I'd consider that to be reasonable.  Still doesn't seem that great, especially for a guy who takes as many shots as he does.  Kind of like an NBA player who averages 19 PPG but shoots about 40%. 

He looks more and more like a complementary guy, which might be OK on this team, and if he can start playing 80+ games every season, you can do worse than a guy who can flirt with 60 points consistently each season...but that feels a little disappointing.  I don't think too many people thought that's what his upside would be as he entered his prime years.   

Taylor Hall is not a 'complementary guy'.  He yanked his line into respectability last season while the rest of the team burned.  And it's not like Travis Zajac and Kyle Palmieri are two great players, either - I don't think either player is a 1st line forward, though I suppose it's debatable with Palmieri.  Palmieri is a complementary player, though - he can score goals on the power play, but he needs someone to get him the puck at ES.  Hall was that guy last year.  Without Hall he struggled mightily at ES.

Taylor Hall never entered his 'prime years' with New Jersey.  Forwards peak' in scoring is at 24.  He's probably had his best scoring season already and that's fine.  He's a tremendous passer and for some reason this post doesn't seem to mention anything about that.  He'll have better seasons than last season, though.