GDT: Lightning @ Devils, 7:30 PM

dmann422

Just now, mfitz804 said:

He’s quick enough, he was just already in too close. He had nowhere left to go. 

It looked slow and clunky to me. Like he had no idea what he was going to do until he was halfway there and then ran out of room to boot. I'm not trying to come down on him. I'm sure the pressure he's putting on himself is weighing on him. 

RECAP

• WTF is going on with Brian Gibbons?
  • Having a defenseman who can actually put up points is very refreshing.
  • Tampa is crazy good.
  • It's only a matter of time for Nico.
  • Santini was very impressive tonight imo.
  • The crowd was only a little bit more than 13,000 but it sounded incredibly loud.

POSSESSION

• ES CF: 51 to 52
  • ES FF: 41 to 43
  • ES SF: 28 to 25
  • ES SCF: 26 to 26
  • ES HDCF: 10 to 9
  • All CF: 65 to 73
  • All FF: 51 to 60
  • All SF: 34 to 37
  • All SCF: 33 to 37
  • All HDCF: 14 to 9
  • Like 5

Just now, mfitz804 said:

You guys are funny. Hall has a goal and 4 assists in 6 games and he’s garbage. Nico has three assists and he’s a “Calder candidate”.

Can't argue that he's a great setup guy.

Problem is he could easily have at least 5 goals in these 6 games.  He misses golden opportunities almost every game.

I don't personally have an issue with Hall yet, but I can see where people might get frustrated. 

I agree with two of Mike Brown’s statements. Santini looked great, and Gibbons, talk about overperforming!

Just now, DJ Eco said:

Can we talk about Will Butcher's defensive play on Tampa's shorthanded 2-on-1 that let us tie the game right after??????????????? WHAT?????????? This kid is the real deal.

Might be the best play I’ve seen from one of our defenseman in 5 years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You guys are funny. Hall has a goal and 4 assists in 6 games and he’s garbage. Nico has three assists and he’s a “Calder candidate”.

Reminds me of early Kovalchuk syndrome, where he ended up top 5 in the league in points a season in but people complained he didn't score enough and was a "bum".

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Nico has four assists.

Hall is clearly not garbage but it would be really nice if he started finishing a bit more often.  It's only six games this season, but it's not a new trend since he's been here.

2 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Reminds me of early Kovalchuk syndrome, where he ended up top 5 in the league in points a season in but people complained he didn't score enough and was a "bum".

Yup, it’s been 6 games. Hall’s fine.

Nico is fine too, but calling a guy with zero goals and four assists in his career a “Calder candidate” or “a great setup man” is way premature. 

Edited by mfitz804

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Despite the goals not coming yet you don't believe Nico will likely be a Calder finalist? 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nico has four assists.

Hall is clearly not garbage but it would be really nice if he started finishing a bit more often.  It's only six games this season, but it's not a new trend since he's been here.

Appreciate the correction, doesn’t change the sentiment.

And yeah, I’d like him scoring more too. But he’s kind of doing what he does. And he was on a team last year that was a total dumpster fire and he went 20G, 33A. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Despite the goals not coming yet you don't believe Nico will likely be a Calder finalist? 

Four assists in six games is nice. You think that means he’ll be a Calder finalist? I hope he keeps developing and starts cashing in, but right now he’d lose to Bratt and Butcher. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Four assists in six games is nice. You think that means he’ll be a Calder finalist? I hope he keeps developing and starts cashing in, but right now he’d lose to Bratt and Butcher. 

Some of the flashes he shows though...

The goals will come.

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

Some of the flashes he shows though...

The goals will come.

I’m not saying I’m not hopeful. I am. He looks good, and he may very well be a Calder candidate. But he’s not exactly dominating just yet. 

A lot of it, of course, has been bad luck. He could probably have 5 goals if he had some better puck luck. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just to play Devils advocate (lol), that's a 55 assist pace. You can figure he'll pot at least ten. 65-70 points is definitely going to get him a Vegas invite. But you're right about Butch, he absolutely wins it today. But we're not even 10% into the season, this is meaningless. Any idiot could take 4 bounces off their skate end up as assists in 6 games. But, of course, that's not the case with Nico.

• Like 1