Patrick Roy Appreciation Thread

GrimePilot

From http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/11/will-butcher-denver-pioneers-not-signing-with-avs/

Near the end of Butcher’s junior season a year ago, the Avalanche told Butcher’s “family adviser” the team was not interested in signing the 5-foot-10, 190-pound defenseman at any point. But that attitude toward Butcher was believed to have emanated from then-coach Patrick Roy, who was also the Avs’ vice president. Roy resigned in August, and the Avs had scouts or team executives at numerous DU home games this season. Assistant Avs general manager Chris MacFarland was at the Frozen Four in Chicago last weekend.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hugs and kisses to that hot-headed loon.  Don't know what we'd do without you, St. Pat!

• Like 1

Just now, CRASHER said:

....damn I thought this was gonna be some anti-Brodeur troll thread....what a disappointment!!!!!

SINCE you brought it up... 

They are so different -- it's hard to even compare them.  I'm a huge fan of Marty, but Roy arguably did more with less, intimidated the other team more, and exploded/melted down in much more spectacular and entertaining fashion.  Marty was by far the much better teammate and professional.  

First wives best not be asked to review either of them for ANY award considerations.  

• Like 1

I always liked Milan Hejduk; as like a lesser Elias in my head... and while we were playing the Avs I used to try to jinx him by saying  Hejjjjjjjjjduk when he had the puck...    it had mixed results because jinxes aren’t real.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Much appreciated decision-making from the 2nd best goalie of all-time.

Will Butcher is on pace for 123 points (0G, 123A), think he'll do it? :P

Who do you have 1st, Brodeur or Hasek? 

For me it's Brodeur>Hasek>Roy

14 hours ago, aylbert said:

I miss seeing Roy try to stick handle the puck like Brodeur head to head...  and fail spectacularly.   I think it happened on a few occasions...

And oh... hi there, Melanie :)

For a match-up of all-time greats, the goaltending in that series sucked.   

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

The play in general that series sucked. For two great teams with skill that could score it was a 7 games dud

Marty was so shaky for much of that series...as far as his pre-decline seasons went, 2000-01 was one of his most inconsistent and least impressive.  His first 14 games that season were largely awful (.876 save%...imagine how much people would be freaking if Cory ever had a start like that to the season?!).  He then was quite good for a while (.923 save% over his next 32 GP), before ending his season on a bit of a whimper (.899 save% over his final 26 games to close out his season).  Couple that .899 with the .897 he put up for the playoffs (he was very up and down throughout), and it's hard to believe that Marty could be a sub-.900 save% goalie for a 51-game period...especially since he'd shown the ability to raise his game in the playoffs.  He was basically mediocre-to-poor for almost 70% of that season...but because the team was so dymanic and fun to watch, and because they racked up so many points and went deep into the playoffs, and had just won a Cup the year before where Marty had been excellent, his largely not-good 2000-01 season really didn't get noticed as much as it might have under different circumstances.

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Marty was so shaky for much of that series...as far as his pre-decline seasons went, 2000-01 was one of his most inconsistent and least impressive.  His first 14 games that season were largely awful (.876 save%...imagine how much people would be freaking if Cory ever had a start like that to the season?!).  He then was quite good for a while (.923 save% over his next 32 GP), before ending his season on a bit of a whimper (.899 save% over his final 26 games to close out his season).  Couple that .899 with the .897 he put up for the playoffs (he was very up and down throughout), and it's hard to believe that Marty could be a sub-.900 save% goalie for a 51-game period...especially since he'd shown the ability to raise his game in the playoffs.  He was basically mediocre-to-poor for almost 70% of that season...but because the team was so dymanic and fun to watch, and because they racked up so many points and went deep into the playoffs, and had just won a Cup the year before where Marty had been excellent, his largely not-good 2000-01 season really didn't get noticed as much as it might have under different circumstances.

And his 2001-2002 season as a while wasn't all that great either. Same .906 saver percentage as 2000-2001. I recall people wanting him to play fewer games. 

I wonder if it was marital issues or something. 2002-2003 was when that whole thing went down.

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

And his 2001-2002 season as a while wasn't all that great either. Same .906 saver percentage as 2000-2001. I recall people wanting him to play fewer games. 

I wonder if it was marital issues or something. 2002-2003 was when that whole thing went down.

Funny you should mention that...without getting into it too much (not like any of the details of the timeline of any of that is our business), I wonder how much that affected his play.  That must have been a hell of a lot to deal with.   

51 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

42 wins and 9 shutouts mask what was 10th in GAA and 16th in SV% for starters

1 hour ago, '7' said:

The play in general that series sucked. For two great teams with skill that could score it was a 7 games dud

I don't think having such an easy series again the Pens helped either.   We kind of sleep walked through the first 4 games and then turned it on in game 5.  After that 4-1 win, I was so sure we were going to see the cup in Game 6 I packed all sorts of stuff to tailgate late into the night in the stadium parking lot.   One of the more crushing defeats ever.   

4 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I don't think having such an easy series again the Pens helped either.   We kind of sleep walked through the first 4 games and then turned it on in game 5.  After that 4-1 win, I was so sure we were going to see the cup in Game 6 I packed all sorts of stuff to tailgate late into the night in the stadium parking lot.   One of the more crushing defeats ever.   

I was at game 6 that year and it was the worst feeling in the world leaving the arena.  It was like a morgue.  Everyone knew walking out that the Devils were not going to win game 7.