NFL Trade Deadline

Daniel

I will give the NFL credit for one thing it’s done right in the past couple of years, which is making interesting player trades, even at the deadline,

Garropollo to the Niners for only a second rounder.  Great move by Lynch and company.  Not too long ago people were saying he could be worth the first overall, or maybe that was just Francesca. 

Duane Brown to Seahawks also interesting.  

I think the Phins are seeing this as a lost season, notwithstanding the winning record right now.

Bad move by the Patriots...Tom Brady is obviously an all-time great, but how much longer can you possibly bank on him playing at this level?  I think for a team that is clearly in "Win now" mode, you gotta keep Garopollo around for this season, in case something should actually happen to Brady.  Now you have to pluck a QB off the street and try to get him familiar with what you do...you didn't have to do that with Garopollo.

On some level I'm definitely happy for him...he absolutely deserves a chance to start in this league.  But I'm not concerned about what's best for Garopollo in 2017...I'm concerned about what's best for the Pats, and him being around as insurance is what's best for the Pats this season. 

At least the pick will be a high second-rounder (assuming it's the Niners' own pick that's been dealt)...but it's still a terrific move for the 49ers. 

Yeah I thought the Pats turned down first rounders for Garropolo this offseason. Granted this is probably going to be the first or second pick in the 2nd round but still.  I do think trading Garropolo could be a tell that Billy isn't going to stick around long after Brady's gone as much as it is false bravado over Brady playing another five years.

Of course he was coming up on FA this offseason and they would have had to franchise him to keep him.  It is extremely odd the Pats traded BOTH their backup QB's in the span of a few weeks, I have no idea who their backup even is now.

Edited by NJDevs4978

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I thought the Pats turned down first rounders for Garropolo this offseason. Granted this is probably going to be the first or second pick in the 2nd round but still.  I do think trading Garropolo could be a tell that Billy isn't going to stick around long after Brady's gone as much as it is false bravado over Brady playing another five years.

Of course he was coming up on FA this offseason and they would have had to franchise him to keep him.  It is extremely odd the Pats traded BOTH their backup QB's in the span of a few weeks, I have no idea who their backup even is now.

Has, technically I don't think they have a backup at the moment. 

To me, the pick isn't worth the risk of not having anyone worthwhile ready to go if Brady gets hurt.  Yeah, you probably lose Garopollo for nothing this offseason if you don't deal him, but you have no idea how much longer this run will last.  You go all-in for this season (especially since the league isn't terribly strong), and that means keeping Garopollo.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I get the idea of trading him to prove a point, but to the Eagles?! That's not exactly punishment a la Bill dealing Jamie Collins to the Browns.

Jeff Darlington just tweeted that this might be about the Dolphins thinking that Ajayi doesn't have much left in his knee, which is why he fell from being a first rounder to a fifth rounder when he was drafted.  And now another beat writer is saying that Jarvis Landry could be had for the right price.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Like Mortensen said since the Niners just cut Brian Hoyer expect him back in a Pats uniform by the weekend since he knows the system.  I don't see where else they go unless Billy B goes full troll with Kaepernick lol

Yeah, pretty much a slam-dunk it will be Hoyer...apparently he was supposed to be part of the Garopollo trade. 

Rumors swirling that the Pats might flip the pick they got in this deal for defensive help. 

I'm not a fan of this Ajayi trade, but I like Gase's 'do your job or you're gone' attitude. Gase savaged Ajayi after the Baltimore game and basically said he was freelancing. I just wish we could've pulled a 3 from Philly at least....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm not a fan of this Ajayi trade, but I like Gase's 'do your job or you're gone' attitude. Gase savaged Ajayi after the Baltimore game and basically said he was freelancing. I just wish we could've pulled a 3 from Philly at least....

Maybe I'm wrong given that the team tried to throw a bunch of money at CJ Anderson, but I get the sense that Gase one of those coaches that thinks running backs are a dime a dozen.  It didn't help Ajayi's case that he was benched at the beginning of last year too. 

But yeah, I think the Dolphins probably could have gotten a little more for him.  If the Dolphins trade Landry, I want either a first rounder or a stud guard. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm wrong given that the team tried to throw a bunch of money at CJ Anderson, but I get the sense that Gase one of those coaches that thinks running backs are a dime a dozen.  It didn't help Ajayi's case that he was benched at the beginning of last year too. 
But yeah, I think the Dolphins probably could have gotten a little more for him.  If the Dolphins trade Landry, I want either a first rounder or a stud guard. 

Here's a good read from Armando Salguero on why Ajayi got moved: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article181846146.html

If Garappolo was really good they wouldn't trade him for anything. None of the guys who sat behind Brady there ever amounted to be top QB's. They just had spurts of decency here and there. Cassel, Hoyer, Ryan Mallett. Brissett is looking like another nothing special guy. What Brady has is unique, it doesn't rub off on understudies 

44 minutes ago, '7' said:

If Garappolo was really good they wouldn't trade him for anything. None of the guys who sat behind Brady there ever amounted to be top QB's. They just had spurts of decency here and there. Cassel, Hoyer, Ryan Mallett. Brissett is looking like another nothing special guy. What Brady has is unique, it doesn't rub off on understudies 

From what you hear, Shanahan thought Garoppolo was the second best QB of his draft behind Carr.  Also, apparently the Patriots really couldn’t afford to keep him after this year and they bought into the idea that Brady has at least three more years.  

Just now, Daniel said:

From what you hear, Shanahan thought Garoppolo was the second best QB of his draft behind Carr.  Also, apparently the Patriots really couldn’t afford to keep him after this year and they bought into the idea that Brady has at least three more years.  

The word is that franchising Garoppolo would've killed a lot of their offseason flexibility, if they hung onto him. 

I'm thinking there's some college QB that the Pats have their eyes on already, that they'll take in the second or third round, in either the 2018 or 2019 draft (if there's someone that they really like in 2018 that they're worried about not getting, they can move up...say, give up the 49's 2nd and their own 3rd to move up into the lower first round).  Brady is currently signed through the end of 2019...I'm thinking the Pats are planning to have a solid young body in the mix by then.  It could have been Garoppolo, but the timing was off just enough.   

The Bills sneak in a Kelvin Benjamin trade under the wire.  And apparently the Browns had agreed to a trade with the Bengals for AJ McCarron but were so busy patting themselves on the back they forgot to phone the trade into the NFL (I'm not kidding though I'm not sure that particular detail is 100% accurate either since I only saw it Tweeted by a couple of radio hosts).  Either way they clearly missed a deadline to phone the trade into the NFL, which alone is typical Browns.

Kind of like Belichick with his assistants... They never amount to squat as head coaches just like none of Brady's backups ever end up becoming anything.

Hoyer signs three-year deal with Pats.  Seems the thinking is that the Pats will draft an heir-apparent QB in the next draft with almost no intention of him getting any playing time for at least one to two full seasons...then it's a question of what Brady has left at that point.

Of course, if Brady loses it quick (and that can happen, as we saw with Peyton Manning), then that kid might end up on the field ahead of schedule.  Hoyer isn't an option as an extended full-time starter. 

And though I'm sorry to see him go (I think he would've done very well in NE), I am very happy for Jimmy G...the guy was nothing but a class act with the Pats, despite the fact that it had to be killing him not to be playing.  He absolutely deserves this opportunity, and he's still reasonably young enough to put up some nice career numbers if everything works out for him.  Wish him nothing but the absolute best.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

That's a good trade for Buffalo. The Bills are going for it this year and good for them. Probably shaping up to be 35-6 or something like that Thursday Night at Metlife. 

How do the Browns make such an administrative mistake? Things like this happen when interns or new administrative assistants forget to fax or call something in in time. One of those instances where the C level guy is really to blame for not just doing it himself. Or not checking up on this. Now watch AJ McCarron become some great late bloomer QB and the Browns will be tormented by this forever.:P

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kind of like Belichick with his assistants... They never amount to squat as head coaches just like none of Brady's backups ever end up becoming anything.

Good point on that too. Except Bill O'Brien I think is a quality coach. But nothing great or legendary.

• Like 1

Good point on that too. Except Bill O'Brien I think is a quality coach. But nothing great or legendary.

O'Brien is the only guy from the Belichick tree to do anything as a head coach.... And he hasn't done much yet. But now that he has his QB in Watson, he'll have his chance.

10 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

Josh Gordon reinstated.  Available week 13 iirc

He's wasted good chunk of his career already due to his own foolishness, but he's insanely talented. Wonder if Cleveland ends up trading him at some point during the offseason.