New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread

NJDevs4978

I will say that I doubt the Gonzalez experiment lasts too long anyway. He'll either go down with an injury or be DFA'd due to lackluster performance by late May. It still doesn't at all excuse the signing but I'd be surprised if he's still the starter come summer time.

Even with the weight loss, he's still only 6'0. It would help to have some more range at 1st with a taller guy, though it helps that he's more limber and quicker.

Wonder how it will effect his power. Not that he's ever really going to be one but I think we'll be getting power from enough other sources that Smith doesn't need to put up traditional 1B numbers

3 hours ago, '7' said:

Even with the weight loss, he's still only 6'0. It would help to have some more range at 1st with a taller guy, though it helps that he's more limber and quicker.

Wonder how it will effect his power. Not that he's ever really going to be one but I think we'll be getting power from enough other sources that Smith doesn't need to put up traditional 1B numbers

He's supposed to be good defensively...I'm curious to see how his weight loss helps him there.

I don't need yet another one-dimensional power hitter...I'll happily take other attributes from Smith.  I find it unfair that Smith gets bashed for last year's sample...the guy was only 22.  If anything, last year was positive because I think he learned that he can get away with being overweight in the PCL, but not with the big club.  But like nmig said, Gonzalez will probably write his own ticket out of town...hopefully Smith can expedite that. 

Bud Harrelson recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  Truly a shame...obviously a huge part of Met history.  Feel for him and his family.

I was just looking at some of the numbers of Cobb, Lynn, and Garcia over the past few seasons and was a bit surprised to see Garcia has arguably been the superior starter of the trio, at least by the underlying numbers:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2017&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=2520,6562,8137

Garcia has also thrown the most innings between the three in that timeframe, which should count for something, and has the best 2018 WAR projection by Steamer. Lynn and Cobb come with more upside I think - Lynn has really outperformed his peripherals in that 2015-2017 snapshot thanks to an elite strand rate - while Garcia is the most "boring" but probably the most reliable.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bud Harrelson recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  Truly a shame...obviously a huge part of Met history.  Feel for him and his family.

And only 73 too. It's terrible when it strikes at any age but at that age you'd like to think you have plenty of good, lucid years with kids and grand kids

3 hours ago, nmigliore said:

I was just looking at some of the numbers of Cobb, Lynn, and Garcia over the past few seasons and was a bit surprised to see Garcia has arguably been the superior starter of the trio, at least by the underlying numbers:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2017&month=0&season1=2015&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=2520,6562,8137

Garcia has also thrown the most innings between the three in that timeframe, which should count for something, and has the best 2018 WAR projection by Steamer. Lynn and Cobb come with more upside I think - Lynn has really outperformed his peripherals in that 2015-2017 snapshot thanks to an elite strand rate - while Garcia is the most "boring" but probably the most reliable.

Tough call...I'd probably go with Lynn myself, but yeah, part of me wonders if it all catches up with him...his ERA of 3.06 and his FIP of 3.86 over that 2015-17 time period that you pointed out suggest regression may be coming...also wonder if he enjoyed better defense with the Cardinals than he will here.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Pitchers and catchers report today, first Spring Training game is next Friday. Not a moment too soon with the state of the hockey team although I’m not exactly all that confident in anything. As always it’s going to depend on health for a franchise with a bunch of ?’s

I would still like to see Rip Van Sandy bring in a starting pitcher (like Lynn or others)...exactly how low does this fvcking penny-pinching cheapskate organization expect this market to go? 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I would still like to see Rip Van Sandy bring in a starting pitcher (like Lynn or others)...exactly how low does this fvcking penny-pinching cheapskate organization expect this market to go? 

I guess we'll find out lol...I agree they need another SP but I'm not even sure what they do with all the ?'s they have.  Assuming Matz, Harvey, Wheeler all make it to Opening Day and are 3-5, I assume Lugo in middle relief and Gsellman in the minors?  Then Montero finally gets DFA'ed.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I guess we'll find out lol...I agree they need another SP but I'm not even sure what they do with all the ?'s they have.  Assuming Matz, Harvey, Wheeler all make it to Opening Day and are 3-5, I assume Lugo in middle relief and Gsellman in the minors?  Then Montero finally gets DFA'ed.

At least two guys will get hurt during spring training...I don't trust these arms anymore, and neither should Sandy.  And even if they all did make it through spring healthy, I'm not sure how Matz, Wheeler, and Harvey will perform.  It would be nice if the laziest GM in MLB for once didn't just hope for the best, especially with so much evidence to support "the best" not happening. 

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least we have a trade...

Matt Reynolds offloaded to the Nats lol.  Hopefully he doesn't magically become a Met-killer this year.

For cash considerations.  Kind of sad that a friggin' LARGE MARKET TEAM has to continue to look under couch cushions to find loose change, but at least this is one less AAAA scrub from Sandy's brigade of ol'-not-so-reliables that we have to deal with.

Not even sure how much time he gets with the Nats...he's just not that good. 

I've said it before but I think the Mets really need someone to bridge the gap between deGrom and Thor to the highly questionable trio of Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler. I think it would be a mistake to enter the season banking on the questionables to stay healthy AND perform. I do like Lugo as a 6th starter option (and you could probably argue he belongs in the rotation right now) but the Mets need more depth than that. 

13 minutes ago, nmigliore said:

I've said it before but I think the Mets really need someone to bridge the gap between deGrom and Thor to the highly questionable trio of Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler. I think it would be a mistake to enter the season banking on the questionables to stay healthy AND perform. I do like Lugo as a 6th starter option (and you could probably argue he belongs in the rotation right now) but the Mets need more depth than that. 

Agree 100%, and there are options there, but nope, that would require Sandy to wake up from his eternal nap and exert his useless self.  Can't have that...he still has to recover from such a busy and creative offseason.  Sure, let's put all of our eggs in the same rotten basket, because we see how well that's worked out in the past.  Harvey, Matz, and Wheeler don't deserve the same optimism from ANYONE who's been paying attention the past couple of seasons.  Those guys are all 50-50 at best. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 hours ago, '7' said:

Flores is just so stiff. Has so little agility. He literally will look like Frankenstein in the outfield.

I still remember Daniel Murphy in the outfield, when he botched a fly ball to cost Santana a shutout that was probably the end of that experiment.  And who can forget Todd Hundley in left? :lol:

7 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I still remember Daniel Murphy in the outfield, when he botched a fly ball to cost Santana a shutout that was probably the end of that experiment.  And who can forget Todd Hundley in left? :lol:

I remember a ball sailing over Hundley's glove...the NYP, being the sensitive souls that they are, posted a backpage headline of "Clod Hundley" the following day.  

So it looks like if Sandy's going to bring in someone else for starting depth, it will be Vargas.  Better hope you don't get another 2015 or 2016 out of him (he made just 12 starts combined for those two seasons).  Doesn't thrill me, but at least when he's healthy, he's been decent.

Matt den Dekker is back...thank you so much Sandy.  Guess Zack Lutz and Eric Campbell can't be too far behind.

All about counting pennies.  Fitting end to a sh!t offseason.