New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread

NJDevs4978

Man, for a moment I completely forgot Jason Vargas was once a Met - traded to us by the Fish as part of that ill-fated Matt Lindstrom deal in the winter of 2006. Vargas largely spent 2007 in AAA but did make 2 starts for the Mets in 2007, one of them being one of my favorite Mets Classics: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN200705170.shtml. A couple winters later, he was part of that wild 3 team trade that netted the Mets JJ Putz, Sean Green, and Jeremy Reed.

This wreaks of Omar's involvement, heh.

It is funny they're actually spending a 'little' money this offseason once Omar got back in the fold lol

Honestly I'd have been fine with Vargas on a one plus option.  Two felt like we were bidding against ourselves.  The good news is that Zach Wheeler's no longer penciled in for a rotation slot.  

Yeah he can go scratch...there's confidence and then there's just denseness.  No you haven't proven you're 'as good as anyone' even when healthy which only happens as long as Halley's Comet orbits the earth.

• Like 1

I'm not terribly anti Vargas but I'd rather have Garcia. Vargas is older. He posted a nice win total last year but I seem to recall a 2nd half fade. Not an impressive ERA...so guessing he was the beneficiary of good run support. The rocky 2nd half may have had something to do with Tommy John recovery, being his first full season back after the surgery he may have experienced some arm fatigue. Mets are counting he'll be at full strength all year this year. Would be nice if he could chew up a 190-200 innings like Colon used to do but I'm not banking on it.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

It is funny they're actually spending a 'little' money this offseason once Omar got back in the fold lol

Honestly I'd have been fine with Vargas on a one plus option.  Two felt like we were bidding against ourselves.  The good news is that Zach Wheeler's no longer penciled in for a rotation slot.  

Yeah he can go scratch...there's confidence and then there's just denseness.  No you haven't proven you're 'as good as anyone' even when healthy which only happens as long as Halley's Comet orbits the earth.

"....when I'm healthy"

And just when are you healthy Zack? He's going to be 28 this year. He's barely taken the mound in 3 years and when he has...he's been abominable. Just put your head down, work, and be grateful. I mean he's below d'Arnaud on the dependability totem pole and that's hard to do

Edited by '7'

So at full strength I'm guessing we'll see something like

CF - Michael Conforto

2B - Asdrubal Cabrera

LF - Yoenis Cespedes

RF - Jay Bruce

3B - Todd Frazier

1B - Dominic Smith

SS - Amed Rosario

C - Travis d'Arnaud

Pitcher

Also there will probably never be an instance where all 8 are healthy at once. 

It's not a bad lineup really. You just have to worry about durability with Cespedes and if Conforto can come back and be the guy he was pre injury. There were a lot of times Rosario looked not ready for prime time last season. Same with Dom Smith.

I know it's Spring Training but Sandy pumping up Tim Tebow as a guy who's going to make the major leagues is serious jumping of the shark.  Unless he means by play in the Major Leagues, get some meaningless September AB's to sell tickets.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I know it's Spring Training but Sandy pumping up Tim Tebow as a guy who's going to make the major leagues is serious jumping of the shark.  Unless he means by play in the Major Leagues, get some meaningless September AB's to sell tickets.

It's kind of sad really. I mean I have nothing against Tebow. Kind of indifferent towards him. But Sandy Alderson carnival barking Tebow as a potential major leaguer? He's cringing on the inside.

2017 Seth Lugo: 19.5 K%, 5.7 BB%, 3.95 FIP, 4.18 xFIP

2017 Jason Vargas: 17.7 K%, 7.7 BB%, 4.67 FIP, 4.94 xFIP

Vargas threw more innings and posted a better ERA, but the rate stats/underlying numbers show a strong case for Lugo over Vargas. The Mets DID need to add another starter for depth, I'll give them that, and Steamer projects Vargas for roughly 2 WAR if he can throw a full compliment of innings. I'm just disappointed they chose him when cheaper, superior alternatives were out there (Jaime Garcia) and the contract basically guarantee he's locked into the rotation for 2 years.

Edited by nmigliore

For what it's worth pace of play changes include a limit on the number of (non-pitching change) mound visits per game and shortening commercials by twenty seconds per half inning in the regular season.  Typically the players are still whining about the mound visits being limited even though having six per nine innings and one per extra inning is still pretty liberal, and they're not exactly enforcing the limit - it'll be left up to the umpire to do that.

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

For what it's worth pace of play changes include a limit on the number of (non-pitching change) mound visits per game and shortening commercials by twenty seconds per half inning in the regular season.  Typically the players are still whining about the mound visits being limited even though having six per nine innings and one per extra inning is still pretty liberal, and they're not exactly enforcing the limit - it'll be left up to the umpire to do that.

I still don't think long term it will be enforced at all. Though in the immediate future I'm sure jerks like Angel Hernandez will love it as it gives him more opportunities to get under peoples skin and force his will on the games.

Eventually it will sort of be forgotten and fade away. I mean technically I believe there is a rule that states the pitcher throw the ball within 12 seconds of obtaining it from the catcher

Wow.  Just wow.  How stupid can you possibly be Dom?  

But at least it looks like there might just be a hint of accountability around the Mets for a change.

On 2/24/2018 at 1:55 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently Dom Smith was late for a team meeting the day of the first ST game and was benched...yep, dude definitely punched his ticket to Vegas.

I mean come on. That's like showing up grossly late for your first day at a new job. Sloppy, stupid, and definitely a band omen. This stuff can't fly especially when you're trying to institute a culture change.

People wanted to excuse Geno Smith for his lapse and Mo Wilk for his lapses. But long term they just ended up reaffirming that this wasn't an isolated incident. That they're not too bright and won't ever find consistent, meaningful success. 

The only time this stuff gets excused is if you're insanely talented (Manny being Manny) then you'll get the blind eye. Not Dom Smith who has already had inexcusable issues with his weight

Edited by '7'

Thor was apparently popping 100 mph fastballs like nothing today... and then conducted his interview shirtless.

Syndergaard with two perfect innings. Threw 13 fastballs, of which 11 registered at least 100 mph.

Please stay healthy young fella.... :pray:

On 2/25/2018 at 5:37 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

So Lagares has ANOTHER hammy injury and Dom Smith has a quad injury.

The more things change...

Well it is early and guys are going to have that. Guys are still breaking their bodies into regular season mode. Bottom line is how do we deal with these injuries now. Not sure where the quote comes from but one manager would say you give the player time to heal and you wait until he is absolutely 100% medically cleared/well and ready.

And then you sit him another week.

With what's happened with us of late I'm ready to be super conservative with these injuries. It always comes back to bite us. We've rushed guys back, re injured. When guys want to rush back we facilitate this foolishness...reinjured.

4 hours ago, nmigliore said:

Thor was apparently popping 100 mph fastballs like nothing today... and then conducted his interview shirtless.

Syndergaard with two perfect innings. Threw 13 fastballs, of which 11 registered at least 100 mph.

Please stay healthy young fella.... :pray:

Seems like he may be throwing too hard too fast. Just that way I've been conditioned and how skittish I am now with pitchers and injuries

Who knows if there is any sort of real science to it, but we are deserving of at least one year where everything clicks and these guys make the majority of their starts

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Injuries continue to pile up, clearly Ray Ramirez has a voodoo doll somewhere...

Thank god for the Devils having such an exciting season...it's making it really easy not to give a sh!t about the Mets and their usual follies for now (though Sandy's somnabulant offseason did plenty to help in that regard). 

It may be minor aches and pains but with us it's never that. People have put together whole Mets injury disaster timelines where it goes from day to day to re-aggravation to no structural damage to season ending surgery. 

If we have another year like last after going in a new direction regarding training/injuries then I'm going to be at an absolute loss for words. Maybe at that point it's just that we have some bizarre and unlucky roster of guys whose bodies habitually break down?

And yest thank god for the Devils. At this point in previous years we'd be giving them their last rites about now and moving on to rooting against the Rags.

Edited by '7'

Not really newsworthy but kind of hilarious just the same...Joe and Evan found an old interview with Thor back when he was just a Met prospect during the 2013 All-Star game (all the way back when the Mets could still have guests on WFAN) - think the clip needs iTunes.  Some of this stuff is truly hilarious when you think of where we are now, like them saying 'people think you can be better than Wheeler' and Thor saying it would be awesome lol

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Figures they get him now when they're a loser team in the making.  Duda at his best could be respectable on a bad team but not sure how that back will hold up.

I'm a little surprised he lasted this long but I think the plummeting batting average all year is leading teams to believe the back is an issue and the bat is in fact starting to slow down some. He hit his HR's in that Tampa bandbox but .175 is scary bad and he was only .229 with us in limited duty in  2016. He'll still have his massive HR moments but the needle is pointing down with him overall.

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Figures they get him now when they're a loser team in the making.  Duda at his best could be respectable on a bad team but not sure how that back will hold up.

Saw that...funny, this is exactly the kind of situation a loser ballplayer like Duda (who puts up some decent numbers here and there...HR, OB%) belongs in.  This does have a very slight chance of becoming a nice bargain signing (he could be moved to a contender if he can somehow turn in a 2015-type season, but why anyone would think that Duda could ever help you in a pennant race would baffle the sh!t outta me).

What he signed for shows that the league has wisened up to the fact that Duda just isn't the kind of player you bring in if you're serious about contending...he's THE classic bad-team ballplayer.  I've been saying it for years...but that being said, if he can stay healthy, he has a shot at 1000 GP, 200 HR, and 500 RBI, and a lifetime .800 OPS in the bigs.  Lots of guys who've done much worse.