Sign in to follow this  
NJDevs4978

New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread

Man, for a moment I completely forgot Jason Vargas was once a Met - traded to us by the Fish as part of that ill-fated Matt Lindstrom deal in the winter of 2006. Vargas largely spent 2007 in AAA but did make 2 starts for the Mets in 2007, one of them being one of my favorite Mets Classics: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYN/NYN200705170.shtml. A couple winters later, he was part of that wild 3 team trade that netted the Mets JJ Putz, Sean Green, and Jeremy Reed.

This wreaks of Omar's involvement, heh.

It is funny they're actually spending a 'little' money this offseason once Omar got back in the fold lol

Honestly I'd have been fine with Vargas on a one plus option.  Two felt like we were bidding against ourselves.  The good news is that Zach Wheeler's no longer penciled in for a rotation slot.  

Yeah he can go scratch...there's confidence and then there's just denseness.  No you haven't proven you're 'as good as anyone' even when healthy which only happens as long as Halley's Comet orbits the earth.

• Like 1

I'm not terribly anti Vargas but I'd rather have Garcia. Vargas is older. He posted a nice win total last year but I seem to recall a 2nd half fade. Not an impressive ERA...so guessing he was the beneficiary of good run support. The rocky 2nd half may have had something to do with Tommy John recovery, being his first full season back after the surgery he may have experienced some arm fatigue. Mets are counting he'll be at full strength all year this year. Would be nice if he could chew up a 190-200 innings like Colon used to do but I'm not banking on it.

On 2/16/2018 at 4:44 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

It is funny they're actually spending a 'little' money this offseason once Omar got back in the fold lol

Honestly I'd have been fine with Vargas on a one plus option.  Two felt like we were bidding against ourselves.  The good news is that Zach Wheeler's no longer penciled in for a rotation slot.  

Yeah he can go scratch...there's confidence and then there's just denseness.  No you haven't proven you're 'as good as anyone' even when healthy which only happens as long as Halley's Comet orbits the earth.

"....when I'm healthy"

And just when are you healthy Zack? He's going to be 28 this year. He's barely taken the mound in 3 years and when he has...he's been abominable. Just put your head down, work, and be grateful. I mean he's below d'Arnaud on the dependability totem pole and that's hard to do

Edited by '7'

So at full strength I'm guessing we'll see something like

CF - Michael Conforto

2B - Asdrubal Cabrera

LF - Yoenis Cespedes

RF - Jay Bruce

3B - Todd Frazier

1B - Dominic Smith

SS - Amed Rosario

C - Travis d'Arnaud

Pitcher

Also there will probably never be an instance where all 8 are healthy at once. 

It's not a bad lineup really. You just have to worry about durability with Cespedes and if Conforto can come back and be the guy he was pre injury. There were a lot of times Rosario looked not ready for prime time last season. Same with Dom Smith.

I know it's Spring Training but Sandy pumping up Tim Tebow as a guy who's going to make the major leagues is serious jumping of the shark.  Unless he means by play in the Major Leagues, get some meaningless September AB's to sell tickets.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I know it's Spring Training but Sandy pumping up Tim Tebow as a guy who's going to make the major leagues is serious jumping of the shark.  Unless he means by play in the Major Leagues, get some meaningless September AB's to sell tickets.

It's kind of sad really. I mean I have nothing against Tebow. Kind of indifferent towards him. But Sandy Alderson carnival barking Tebow as a potential major leaguer? He's cringing on the inside.

2017 Seth Lugo: 19.5 K%, 5.7 BB%, 3.95 FIP, 4.18 xFIP

2017 Jason Vargas: 17.7 K%, 7.7 BB%, 4.67 FIP, 4.94 xFIP

Vargas threw more innings and posted a better ERA, but the rate stats/underlying numbers show a strong case for Lugo over Vargas. The Mets DID need to add another starter for depth, I'll give them that, and Steamer projects Vargas for roughly 2 WAR if he can throw a full compliment of innings. I'm just disappointed they chose him when cheaper, superior alternatives were out there (Jaime Garcia) and the contract basically guarantee he's locked into the rotation for 2 years.

Edited by nmigliore

For what it's worth pace of play changes include a limit on the number of (non-pitching change) mound visits per game and shortening commercials by twenty seconds per half inning in the regular season.  Typically the players are still whining about the mound visits being limited even though having six per nine innings and one per extra inning is still pretty liberal, and they're not exactly enforcing the limit - it'll be left up to the umpire to do that.

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

For what it's worth pace of play changes include a limit on the number of (non-pitching change) mound visits per game and shortening commercials by twenty seconds per half inning in the regular season.  Typically the players are still whining about the mound visits being limited even though having six per nine innings and one per extra inning is still pretty liberal, and they're not exactly enforcing the limit - it'll be left up to the umpire to do that.

I still don't think long term it will be enforced at all. Though in the immediate future I'm sure jerks like Angel Hernandez will love it as it gives him more opportunities to get under peoples skin and force his will on the games.

Eventually it will sort of be forgotten and fade away. I mean technically I believe there is a rule that states the pitcher throw the ball within 12 seconds of obtaining it from the catcher