Jump to content

New York Mets 2017-18 offseason thread


NJDevs4978
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wright's banked plenty of coin to not play much since signing that disaster-in-waiting deal...I know he's tried like hell to come back and play, but the Mets don't owe him any more than they've already paid him.

It's funny that Matt Harvey starts at Citi were once a reason for great excitement (and they WERE)...now it's "Thor and Jake and the rest are fakes" or "Noah and Jake and a bunch of mistakes."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The irony is now the Mets might finally get the 'five young guns' one turn through the rotation now that nobody cares about 2-3 of them.

I really have a hard time getting excited for Matz, Wheeler, and Harvey at this point.  Hope at least two of them can surprise me and be somewhere between decent and healthy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, '7' said:

Not a bad 6 innings today from Matz. 2 earned runs but 9 k's. He took the L but it was encouraging at least in terms of his command on the mound. 0 walks.

I need to see a lot more of that, but it's something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2018 at 12:53 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I need to see a lot more of that, but it's something. 

Part of me has already checked out and given up hope on Matz simply because of his moody/emotional mental makeup on the mound. He's not a bulldog like deGrom who finds ways to be good when he doesn't have his best stuff. Matz seems like Niese with better stuff but more injury prone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, '7' said:

Part of me has already checked out and given up hope on Matz simply because of his moody/emotional mental makeup on the mound. He's not a bulldog like deGrom who finds ways to be good when he doesn't have his best stuff. Matz seems like Niese with better stuff but more injury prone.

I wish I could have any faith in any starter not named Thor or deGrom, but I don't.  Hopefully they all prove me wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Montero with a torn UCL, and another one bites the dust.

That should really signal the end of his Mets career.  One of those guys who simply never worked out.  All he was at this point was depth, and as we saw from last season, with his 1.748 WHIP (the basepaths become a baserunner factory when he's on the mound), it's not like he was going to bring anything anyway.  Never like to see a guy get hurt, but this is no big loss for the Mets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In better injury news Conforto's already playing the field and hitting for the cycle in ST.  Maybe he will actually make it back early unlike most other Met injuries (knock on wood).

It'd be a shame if Nimmo had to get benched after his own strong spring though.  If the Mets had any foresight they'd have been working Jay Bruce out at first already, but they'll probably still have to deal with the rotted corpse of Gonzo for a while.  Maybe Flores gets to play against lefties to start with at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That should really signal the end of his Mets career.  One of those guys who simply never worked out.  All he was at this point was depth, and as we saw from last season, with his 1.748 WHIP (the basepaths become a baserunner factory when he's on the mound), it's not like he was going to bring anything anyway.  Never like to see a guy get hurt, but this is no big loss for the Mets. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw him again in two years. I mean I hope not but then again I still kind of half expect to see Mejia in a Mets jersey again at some point:P

But yes Montero was nothing but a base filling headcase tease who would've never put it together and probably bounced around about a half dozen other franchises once he finally used up chance #100 here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol dear god Mejia being in a Mets uniform again would actually be more shocking than Lou taking back Mike JefferDanton after his year-long holdout trying to be an actor in LA and saying he would never drink the Lou Kool-Aid :P

And apparently Wheeler's been so bad in Spring Training he won't be long for the rotation anyway.  I don't really get why they were in such a hurry to make Lugo AND Gsellman short relievers (I'd trust either of them more than Wheeler as a starter anyway), although like I said earlier I guess anything that helps us detox from Hansel Robles is a good thing.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol dear god Mejia being in a Mets uniform again would actually be more shocking than Lou taking back Mike JefferDanton after his year-long holdout trying to be an actor in LA and saying he would never drink the Lou Kool-Aid :P

And apparently Wheeler's been so bad in Spring Training he won't be long for the rotation anyway.  I don't really get why they were in such a hurry to make Lugo AND Gsellman short relievers (I'd trust either of them more than Wheeler as a starter anyway), although like I said earlier I guess anything that helps us detox from Hansel Robles is a good thing.

Wheeler's another guy that I'm just done with.  Guy is NEVER going to put it all together.  Some pitchers never do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wheeler's another guy that I'm just done with.  Guy is NEVER going to put it all together.  Some pitchers never do. 

Many years ago when we first dealt for him there was a scout (or a few scouts) not sure if ever identified who pretty much predicted his career would take this trajectory and would ultimately end up a reliever.

Like you I'm about at the end of my rope with him. Will give him a little more time but he's quickly falling into the irredeemable bucket.

Edited by '7'
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Many years ago when we first dealt for him there was a scout (or a few scouts) not sure if ever identified who pretty much predicted his career would take this trajectory and would ultimately end up a reliever.

Like you I'm about at the end of my rope with him. Will give him a little more time but he's quickly falling into the irredeemable bucket.

And wasn't he bitching about possibly not being a starter earlier this spring?  Dude, you've done next to nothing the past three years.  STFU and do whatever you're asked. 

BTW he'll be 28 on 5/30...he's no kid anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And wasn't he bitching about possibly not being a starter earlier this spring?  Dude, you've done next to nothing the past three years.  STFU and do whatever you're asked. 

BTW he'll be 28 on 5/30...he's no kid anymore.

That's the attitude (entitlement) that I don't like and I feel this mindset spreads into his actual job performance. He thinks he's somehow owed a roster spot. That he doesn't have to fight his way back. Well he does and he has to be grateful for every opportunity. Pitching in the bullpen is not beneath you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, '7' said:

That's the attitude (entitlement) that I don't like and I feel this mindset spreads into his actual job performance. He thinks he's somehow owed a roster spot. That he doesn't have to fight his way back. Well he does and he has to be grateful for every opportunity. Pitching in the bullpen is not beneath you.

He's pitching in the Land of 1000 Chances, why shouldn't he (and others) feel entitled?  It's funny, because you really would love to see someone say "Hey Zack, how much of a track record do you really think you have right now?  No one gives a sh!t about what you did in 2014 anymore."  But that never happens here.  No one ever takes these guys to task for anything.  Who could forget:

Sandy:  "Noah, pretty please will you get an MRI?  I used the magic word."

Thor:  "NO"

Sandy:  "Aw geez, well, ok.  Not like I would try to persuade you...that would take effort, and naptime is coming..."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

He's pitching in the Land of 1000 Chances, why shouldn't he (and others) feel entitled?  It's funny, because you really would love to see someone say "Hey Zack, how much of a track record do you really think you have right now?  No one gives a sh!t about what you did in 2014 anymore."  But that never happens here.  No one ever takes these guys to task for anything.  Who could forget:

Sandy:  "Noah, pretty please will you get an MRI?  I used the magic word."

Thor:  "NO"

Sandy:  "Aw geez, well, ok.  Not like I would try to persuade you...that would take effort, and naptime is coming..."

And I remember Darling, pretty bright guy, came out and defended Syndergaard. "You don't want them looking in there they may find something and have an excuse to shut you down" I guess basically he was implying they may find something small and blow it out of proportion. All parties were so wrong about this whole debacle. You can't have Syndergaard calling his shots like he did showing up the org. Nor could you have the Mets backing down like they did. They can't force him to get the MRI but you know what, lay down the law and tell him he's not seeing the mound again until he gets one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well maybe there'll finally be some actual accountability on the pitching staff with Wheeler being optioned to Vegas and Robles also being sent down.

Lugo in the rotation as the #5 instead with Vargas starting on the DL.

Edited by NJDevs4978
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go down there, shut your mouth and try to fix yourself Wheeler. Much like Trachsel this is not like the end. Use this as an opportunity to figure things out and come back a better and more confident man.

As for Robles, I hope he never comes back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, '7' said:

Go down there, shut your mouth and try to fix yourself Wheeler. Much like Trachsel this is not like the end. Use this as an opportunity to figure things out and come back a better and more confident man.

As for Robles, I hope he never comes back.

Agree, Wheeler might be salvageable.  I'm done with Robles.  Don't like frontrunning punks who continually wilt during high stakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Are we sure Mickey Callaway is the current Mets manager and not the skipper of the 1924 Brooklyn Dodgers? What a baseball name that is.

I'm just happy that the Met manager is no longer named Terry Collins.  All that dope did was get in the way and do a horrible job with his pitching staff...when he wasn't sounding like a mushmouthed buffoon during postgame conferences.  Obviously too early to know what Callaway will ultimately become, but at least he could evolve into a real manager someday.  That was never happening with TC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.