Defensive help

EdgeControl

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nor has he played an AHL game yet.  Outside of being a mid-first rounder (he went 12th overall), his value hasn't really been established much beyond that.  Of course we're hopeful, but I don't think anyone can really say what Mike McLeod's future is...which is why it's even harder to say what value he has in the eyes of NHL GMs.

McLeod’s the kind of guy that one or a few GMs might be enamored with because of his speed even if the production at the junior level might not be overwhelming.   If the scouts are convinced that Bratt is the real deal for the long term, I might do something like McLeod and Zacha for Hannifin and a second.  

Zacha, I’m pretty convinced will be nothing more than a third liner if we’re lucky. (Thanks again Conte for being totally useless).  We should sell while he still has that first rounder upside.

• Like 3

On 06/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, MadDog2020 said:

John Carlson should be the major priority if he makes it to July 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Carlson should have been drafted by the Devil's when he was available. He was my first choice in that Draft. Was so happy when he was still on the board at 24, but nope. 

I always put my faith in the Devil's scouting department but looking back I think that faith was misplaced for a good few years. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

John Carlson should have been drafted by the Devil's when he was available. He was my first choice in that Draft. Was so happy when he was still on the board at 24, but nope. 

I always put my faith in the Devil's scouting department but looking back I think that faith was misplaced for a good few years. 

Pretty much this.  I felt the same way and was so pissed off when we traded down and ended up selecting Tedenby.  Then Carlson goes out and win the WJC in OT over Canada in the season following his draft and I just knew we would seriously be regretting not making the pick.  Needless to say, we are now in the position to hope that Washington is dumb enough to let him get to FA and, hopefully, he wants to return home and play for the team he rooted for as a kid.  IMO, he is better than Shattenkirk and worth every penny of the contract Shero was willing to put on he able last summer.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/06/colonias_carlson_likely_a_high.html

1 minute ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Pretty much this.  I felt the same way and was so pissed off when we traded down and ended up selecting Tedenby.  Then Carlson goes out and win the WJC in OT over Canada in the season following his draft and I just knew we would seriously be regretting not making the pick.  Needless to say, we are now in the position to hope that Washington is dumb enough to let him get to FA and, hopefully, he wants to return home and play for the team he rooted for as a kid.  IMO, he is better than Shattenkirk and worth every penny of the contract Shero was willing to put on he able last summer.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2008/06/colonias_carlson_likely_a_high.html

He rooted for the Bruins (family was from the area) but also liked the Devils.  But yeah if he ever went to UFA, I think Shero makes him a huge offer and will be very aggressive in trying to bring him here.

10 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

This exactly. Carlson seemed like a lay up. But I get it at the time. They thought they had something in Corrente at the time and Tedenby looked like a dynamic player that we needed. 

Unfortunately both of those scenarios were so very wrong

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

Zacha, I’m pretty convinced will be nothing more than a third liner if we’re lucky. (Thanks again Conte for being totally useless).  We should sell while he still has that first rounder upside.

To me he looks bogged down by the responsibilities of being a center, like he's over thinking and making the safe play too often.    As soon as Zajac comes back, I want to see him moved to wing where I think he will be much more productive once freed up from the additional responsibilities of being a center.   That's when the points started coming last year.     

Edited by Lateralous

He rooted for the Bruins (family was from the area) but also liked the Devils.  But yeah if he ever went to UFA, I think Shero makes him a huge offer and will be very aggressive in trying to bring him here.

Carlson was at game 7 in 2003 from what I heard. He was a Devils fan.

23 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Doesn't McLeod have a lot of upside still?  I mean let's not forget the guy was a first round draft pick, 15 overall, if I remember correctly. He hasn't even played an NHL game, so I don't know that I'd want to package and ship him out just yet.

I'm not saying McLeod doesn't have a good amount of value, just that I would easily give up that package for a D-man of OEL's caliber.  OEL is an established #1D and still young enough that he fits into a core where Taylor Hall is a primary piece.   Also, if OEL hits the market, I imagine there will be a pretty big bidding war given how few top young d ever become available.     

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

One of the reasons I focused on him was because on the NHL draft site where it had short player Bios was because he was the only person who listed the Devil's as his favourite team and Scott Stevens as his main influence. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

One of the reasons I focused on him was because on the NHL draft site where it had short player Bios was because he was the only person who listed the Devil's as his favourite team and Scott Stevens as his main influence. 

Yeah but we got Tedenby instead. I think that worked out well. 

:)

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There's an article somewhere where he said he never liked the Rangers, but did attend a number of Devils games because they were local to him.  He did say that he liked the Devils, but considered himself a Bruins fan...his family moved to NJ (think it was Woodbridge) from Massachusetts when he was a little kid.  Anyway I don't know much about him as a person obviously outside of a couple of interviews that I read, but I never got the impression that the Bruins would ever have some huge inside track on him compared to the Devils...this isn't Kevin "It's My Soggiest Dream To Play For The Rangers" Shattenkirk territory.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Yeah but we got Tedenby instead. I think that worked out well. 

:)

See I had been YouTube scouting Tedenby and wasn't devastated we picked him. I was hoping for the second coming of Parise. He looked so smooth for HV71 the year I followed him when they won the league. 

His size was and the physicality of the NHL just killed him off. 

• Sad 1

Hey, skimmed through this thread but I actually had a great idea with the injury to Mueller. What about Alex Gogligoski? He has Shero-Pittsburgh ties and I don't think he's a black hole possession-game wise.

Sorry if we didn't want to see this thread bumped, but it was a late night thought. Going to check out his possession numbers and stats in the AM.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Hey, skimmed through this thread but I actually had a great idea with the injury to Mueller. What about Alex Gogligoski? He has Shero-Pittsburgh ties and I don't think he's a black hole possession-game wise.

Sorry if we didn't want to see this thread bumped, but it was a late night thought. Going to check out his possession numbers and stats in the AM.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I don't dislike him but I don't see how it works out for Arizona and how it doesn't cost us a 1st.

7 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

just make sure you dont include the desert dogs numbers in that.. its not fair , LOL

I don't dislike Goligoski, actually quite like him and have him on my Fantasy team :P  But, he's signed through his age 35 season at $5.475M a year, so giving up assets for that contract I don't think would be a very Shero-esque move, he's done a good job at keeping us out of contract trouble so far so I don't think that's a risk he would take.