Sign in to follow this  
NJDevs4978

NFL Week 10

The best showdown of the week by far, hell the best showdown of the year is off the field - the Jerry vs. Roger death match

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

I guess I’m one of the few people out there that isn’t enraged by everything Goodell does.  That said, I still don’t know exactly what Goodell has done that a reasonably intelligent person who knows football and has some business sense can’t.  The popularity of the sport now is pretty much tied to fantasy football and the players not bashing the country, two things the commissioner doesn’t have a ton of control over.

Looks like Zeke's actually finally going to miss some games - four to be exact before the appeal gets heard since the latest injunction was denied.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:53 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

The best showdown of the week by far, hell the best showdown of the year is off the field - the Jerry vs. Roger death match

Goodell needs to go. Though I wonder if having Jones actually leading this faction instead of somebody a bit less polarizing actually hurts the cause more so than it helps. Ideally you'd have a strong silent type owner as head of the anti Goodell faction with Jones acting as the unseen hand driving most of this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

I guess I’m one of the few people out there that isn’t enraged by everything Goodell does.  That said, I still don’t know exactly what Goodell has done that a reasonably intelligent person who knows football and has some business sense can’t.  The popularity of the sport now is pretty much tied to fantasy football and the players not bashing the country, two things the commissioner doesn’t have a ton of control over.

I'm not enraged either, but as a die hard it's tough to not feel a bit disillusioned or left behind with Goodells leadership. From the overseas games to the suspension controversies. The Chargers debacle is embarrassing. The Thursday game which is despised by all and detrimental to player safety (Sherman tonight) The overboard on Pinktober (notice that they scaled back on that this year) I realize that they probably know they have me and want to branch out. How much of this is Goodell talking the geezer owners into it and how much of it are them pushing him to implement these ideas? I really don't know. But for the first time in a long time the NFL looks like it's lost its way and is scrambling to put out fires and multiple fronts. I'm not sure if he survives this

• Like 1

Yeah the NFL is spending more time in courtrooms getting phyrric victories over Brady and Zeke that just wind up turning people off in the long run cause every week appeals and district court - along with the anthem - are the focus rather than football, and now an owner (who btw initially agreed to the contract extension for Roger before this mess) is dragging the league into court because he's teed off over a likely valid Zeke suspension.  It's not like Zeke was some perfect angel before this where you think OMG they're persecuting him or that Jerry hasn't known about his other skeletons.

If the Sherman injury (and all the other major injuries this year) wasn't cataclysmic enough to get mass support behind ending the Thursday games - or at least only do it after teams' byes and Thanksgiving week - then nothing will.  More and more gambling and fantasy football has gone from ancilary reason why people are interested in football to the MAIN reason.  The NFL's gotta figure out a way to get the focus back on the actual game itself and not on court cases, injuries and the union's politicizing the anthem which has only hurt them in the long run cause now the narrative is on whether they should be protesting rather than WHAT they're protesting.

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah the NFL is spending more time in courtrooms getting phyrric victories over Brady and Zeke that just wind up turning people off in the long run cause every week appeals and district court - along with the anthem - are the focus rather than football, and now an owner (who btw initially agreed to the contract extension for Roger before this mess) is dragging the league into court because he's teed off over a likely valid Zeke suspension.  It's not like Zeke was some perfect angel before this where you think OMG they're persecuting him or that Jerry hasn't known about his other skeletons.

If the Sherman injury (and all the other major injuries this year) wasn't cataclysmic enough to get mass support behind ending the Thursday games - or at least only do it after teams' byes and Thanksgiving week - then nothing will.  More and more gambling and fantasy football has gone from ancilary reason why people are interested in football to the MAIN reason.  The NFL's gotta figure out a way to get the focus back on the actual game itself and not on court cases, injuries and the union's politicizing the anthem which has only hurt them in the long run cause now the narrative is on whether they should be protesting rather than WHAT they're protesting.

You also have rumblings that other advertisers are unhappy, though all we've heard from so far is Papa John. But that's another thing that has owners on edge. If that damn breaks it's bad news. 

And of course it's released today that Aaron Hernandez had advanced CTE. Two more things they don't want in the news. But when it rains it pours.

Edited by '7'

FYI Jerry Jones owns 19 different Papa John's stores all over Texas....don't sell that short either....

If anything Goodell's primary function should be to reel in the owners and be their voice but a voice of moderation as well.....he's failed MISERABLY at that job....no previous commish had these issues and there's not that many new owners in the league during his reign of failure......

Correction....it's like a HUNDRED.....damn....no wonder he's pissed:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/11/09/papa-johns-urges-nfl-to-fix-ratings-decline-address-anthem-controversy.html

Edited by CRASHER

30 minutes ago, CRASHER said:

FYI Jerry Jones owns 19 different Papa John's stores all over Texas....don't sell that short either....

If anything Goodell's primary function should be to reel in the owners and be their voice but a voice of moderation as well.....he's failed MISERABLY at that job....no previous commish had these issues and there's not that many new owners in the league during his reign of failure......

Correction....it's like a HUNDRED.....damn....no wonder he's pissed:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2017/11/09/papa-johns-urges-nfl-to-fix-ratings-decline-address-anthem-controversy.html

I think the owners are pissed that they even had to be bothered to get involved in this to the extent that they have been. To them, this needed to be taken off their plate, solved, and put in the rear-view mirror quickly. This league and these teams...these are their toys and their license to print money. They don't like surprises, and they certainly don't like appearing vulnerable, disorganized, and foolish in the national media. These are billionaires, they don't have tolerance for it happening even once.

I'm still hearing the extension should go through, but what kind of future working relationship would Goodell have with Jones and his block of anti-Roger owners? Sure the league can deal with a rogue Al Davis from time to time. But what if you have a significant block who want nothing to do with Goodell through 2024? (though they all agreed on the extension months ago)? And Jones doesn't care at this point. Remember he fired Landry Day 1. This will be his hill to die on and he will stir up as much chaos as possible in the process

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, '7' said:

You also have rumblings that other advertisers are unhappy, though all we've heard from so far is Papa John. But that's another thing that has owners on edge. If that damn breaks it's bad news.

They're the guinea pigs right now. It will be very interesting to see what happens to Papa John sales over the course of the next few months. If their sales stay the same.. then the NFL may eek through this season without losing any other sponsors. But if PJ see's an uptick from conservative consumers (the same way Villanueva jersey sales soared) you may see more and more corporations back away, and use the NFL as a conduit towards patriotism.

It doesn't help the overall image of the NFL that the MLB, NHL & NBA don't have this kneeling\standing problem. Manfred, Bettman & Silver seem to have a handle on this.. and Roger is looking worse and worse by the day.

• Like 1

Didn't Goddells extension go unanimous at 32-0? Which would mean JJ as well?  And I personally feel the NFL is better without that POS from Papa Johns.  Pretty sure sales are up for LC and Pizza Hut.  Someone would gladly take their spot,  and its not like the sole reason PJ is hurting is the NFL. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CarterforPresident said:

Didn't Goddells extension go unanimous at 32-0? Which would mean JJ as well?  And I personally feel the NFL is better without that POS from Papa Johns.  Pretty sure sales are up for LC and Pizza Hut.  Someone would gladly take their spot,  and its not like the sole reason PJ is hurting is the NFL. 

Yes it was in fact unanimous 32-0. And regardless of what you think of the quality of product an advertiser revolt is something that the NFL is worried about. I don't eat Papa Johns or drink Gatorade or use Verizon, but the NFL needs them in the fold and happy

17 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yes it was in fact unanimous 32-0. And regardless of what you think of the quality of product an advertiser revolt is something that the NFL is worried about. I don't eat Papa Johns or drink Gatorade or use Verizon, but the NFL needs them in the fold and happy

Think JJ is just mad about how Goddell is handling the Zeke issue,  I would be to.  And your right about that thought,  I doubt it'll happen on that level.  Some have stood by knowingly,  and a few like Nike need the NFL in a way.   People that want to boycott need to boycott the advertisers as said,  but I don't think people of that portion are gonna drop Ford or Hyundai etc.  

Personally believe this will be solved in the offseason,  thinking they'll go back to staying in the Locker rooms. 

40 minutes ago, '7' said:

regardless what you think of the quality of product, an advertiser revolt is something that the NFL is worried about.

agreed.

CfP is right when he says the NFL is not the "sole" reason for poor PJ sales. But it is a portion. Vendor\sponsor boycotts are a real thing in the world we live in today. People are savvy. They understand they're more than just patrons. They're consumers. Consumers who get to determine where\who they $pend their hard-earned money on. With social media.. it isn't difficult in 2017 for a group of people to organize boycott(s). And they do have financial impacts in the end.

EDIT: I can remember the big hoopla that was made about Starbucks from a year ago, when they decided to make their holiday cups strictly red, and more neutral. People freaked. The #StarbucksBoycott was a real thing that was a frequent twitter trend for most of the holiday season. How much did it impact them? --- Well.. enough for them to usher out cups this year with Turtle Doves, Christmas Ornaments, Christmas Trees and Christmas presents a year later..

http://mashable.com/2017/11/01/starbucks-2017-holiday-cups-christmas/#a_Ffe4kSJqq9

Edited by Beezer34
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

agreed.

CR is right when he says the NFL is not the "sole" the reason for poor PJ sales. But it is a portion. Vendor\sponsor boycotts are a real thing in the world we live in today. People are savvy. They understand they're more than just patrons. They're consumers. Consumers who get to determine where\who they $pend their hard-earned money on. With social media.. it isn't difficult in 2017 for a group of people to organize boycott(s). And they do have financial impacts in the end.

I would think there's also a pretty decent overlap between the NFL fanbase and NASCAR.  I understand that in pretty much all motor sports, and especially with NASCAR, fans make a point of supporting the sponsors for their favorite driver.  I imagine that mentality bleeds over to other sports NASCAR fans watch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I would think there's also a pretty decent overlap between the NFL fanbase and NASCAR.  I understand that in pretty much all motor sports, and especially with NASCAR, fans make a point of supporting the sponsors for their favorite driver.  I imagine that mentality bleeds over to other sports NASCAR fans watch.

Good point.

One of these years I'll take the Bills seriously.  Right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of these years I'll take the Bills seriously.  Right.

Well the more things change...

Another lolJets moment underway, WTF else is new?  Of course now the Jets are losing too late to get any real use out of seeing Petty or Hack but Bowles'll probably still play this scrub McCown if they're 5-10.

I'm waiting for an explanation on the PI on Darryl Roberts. 

What should happen is one more McCown start and just roll with Petty. Once we're 4-7 there is no point to keep playing McCown. Overall McCown has exceeded expectations as a placeholder but we need to look at our future and he's not a part of it.

Morton did well with him though. He gameplanned and offesne that got the absolute best out of him.

Edited by '7'

At least the Giants are good for a laugh after another Jet disaster, my god.  They might as well not let MacAdoo get on the plane.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

At least the Giants are good for a laugh after another Jet disaster, my god.  They might as well not let MacAdoo get on the plane.

Yeah seriously.  Team has clearly quit on the guy.

Not much resistance by Miami. Carolina should probably sit Newton for the 4th at this point

That's pretty classless by Newton and Carolina right there. You know when you do that don't complain about the cheap shots you take. You earn those cheap shots throwing the ball on 3rd and 11 in field goal range to score 40 something points.