2017-18 College basketball thread

thecoffeecake

I figured I'd make a thread to chat with myself in. 

I'm watching Seton Hall and Farliegh Dickinson at the Rock. I always love seeing our banners at SHU games. Seton Hall is also set to be filthy this season, this press their running is deadly, and they're on from outside. Can't wait to see therm in Big East play.

4 hours ago, Derlique said:

Haven't really followed URI's projections for the year, but they lost Hassan Martin, one of the best big men in the country. They demolished everybody's favorite 16 seed, UNC Asheville, on Friday.

Are you an alum? I love URI basketball (and the A-10; I miss the A-10 so so much). I picked them for a final 4 run last year, and they had Oregon on the ropes before it slipped away. 

Monmouth and Seton Hall right now at Prudential Center! Biggest Jersey hoops game of the year, forget RU-SHU

Edited by thecoffeecake

Just now, thecoffeecake said:

Are you an alum? I love URI basketball (and the A-10; I miss the A-10 so so much). I picked them for a final 4 run last year, and they had Oregon on the ropes before it slipped away. 

Yup. Graduated in '14. That Oregon loss was brutal but winning the A-10 and the game vs Creighton is probably my top sports moment in the last 5 years lol

3 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Yup. Graduated in '14. That Oregon loss was brutal but winning the A-10 and the game vs Creighton is probably my top sports moment in the last 5 years lol

Doesn't URI have a reputation about having so many Jersey kids? I actually visited campus but ended up not applying.

The A-10 tourney is probably my favorite thing in college hoops, I watch more of it than my own school's conference championship. It was a good one last year. I wish they still played it in AC.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

Doesn't URI have a reputation about having so many Jersey kids? I actually visited campus but ended up not applying.

The A-10 tourney is probably my favorite thing in college hoops, I watch more of it than my own school's conference championship. It was a good one last year. I wish they still played it in AC.

Ya, I'd say:

50% Rhode Island

15% Mass

30% NJ/NY/CT/NH/PA

5% Everywhere else

• 1 month later...

I forgot I started this thread. The season has gone so off the rails for my alma mater at this point.

Jersey is having a pretty good year in college hoops. I think Seton Hall's 21 rank is too low, Rutgers did beat them in the Hardwood Classic, which was a nuts game. Rider looking decent, St. Peter's looking decent, Monmouth played a real tough non conference but could do damage in the MAAC in what's hopefully a down year for the program and not a return to mediocrity. Princeton just lost their first Ivy League game in two calendar years, probably still the best team in that conference. NJIT is even starting to get their program off the ground after all these years of DI. They just opened a new gym, the Wellness and Events Center. Their conference looks pretty unstable, but a lot of fans are talking about them being a natural fit as the 10th member of America East (fans of other America East teams, not wishful NJIT fans), which would be a massive step up and much easier travel. Things really look positive for all our programs minus Fairleigh Dickinson. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...