Brodeur to be inducted into 2018 HOF

MadDog2020

One year from now, it's Marty's turn. This will be huge for us fans and for the organization, and obviously the ultimate individual honor for Marty himself. Can't wait! https://www.nhl.com/news/martin-brodeur-likely-to-lead-2018-hockey-hall-of-fame-class/c-292966474?tid=283496592

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Curious if St. Louis makes it. I'm leaning no. He's right on the bubble. I'm sure he'll all irritate us by inflating his Rag career and reminiscing fondly upon his time at the garden brah.

Brodeur should've had the waiting period waived. Not many guys have(and they officially ended it after Gretzky) but guys like Brodeur, Sakic, Hasek, Brett Hull etc should go in the year after they retire.

• Like 3

The only thing "anticlimactic" (sarcasm) about this...Brodeur was a lock to go into the HHoF in his first year of eligibility YEARS ago.  We all know he's getting in as soon as it's humanly possible...zero debate about this.  Not like Patrik's situation, which will definitely be a maybe, and have people debating why he should go or why he shouldn't. 

The perfect cap to an awesome and incredibly memorable career.  Glad that I got to spend almost half my life watching him play goal for the Devils.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not like Patrik's situation, which will definitely be a maybe, and have people debating why he should go or why he shouldn't. 

Butch Goring about 5 or 6 years ago said on one of the Isles telecasts that if Elias was to get in the HoF, he should be in The HoF

Elias:        1240 Games     408 goals    617 Assists    1025 pts       Playoffs:   162 games   45 goals   80 assists   125 pts

Goring:     1107 games     375 goals     513 assists     888 pts        Playoffs:     134 games   38 goals   50 assists    88 pts     (What's with all his 8's?)

Comparable

2 minutes ago, pattyelias said:

No.   Brodeur.   St. Louis is a clear cut first ballot HOFer.

Funny stuff.   I thought you were serious for a second

1 minute ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Elias:        1240 Games     408 goals    617 Assists    1025 pts       Playoffs:   162 games   45 goals   80 assists   125 pts

Goring:     1107 games     375 goals     513 assists     888 pts        Playoffs:     134 games   38 goals   50 assists    88 pts     (What's with all his 8's?)

Comparable

Slow day at work.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Comparable

I still think Elias is more impressive when you think 1) He played in the dead puck era while Goring mostly played mostly during the live puck era and 2) Elias probably left about 200 career points on the table by sticking with the Devils through those years including some pretty offensively-depleted teams.

• Like 3

Lamoriello has stated that the Devils had the top 3 goalies in this draft ranked

1. Brodeur

2. Dunham

3. Schwab

It wasn't much of a secret that Calgary loved Trevor Kidd whose greatest NHL accomplishment was ugly checkered pads and growing a douchy nu metal bassist beard

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, '7' said:

Curious if St. Louis makes it. I'm leaning no. He's right on the bubble. I'm sure he'll all irritate us by inflating his Rag career and reminiscing fondly upon his time at the garden brah.

Brodeur should've had the waiting period waived. Not many guys have(and they officially ended it after Gretzky) but guys like Brodeur, Sakic, Hasek, Brett Hull etc should go in the year after they retire.

At this rate, we're gonna have to wait until 2040 to get Jagr in the HOF because of the waiting period ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I still think Elias is more impressive when you think 1) He played in the dead puck era while Goring mostly played mostly during the live puck era and 2) Elias probably left about 200 career points on the table by sticking with the Devils through those years including some pretty offensively-depleted teams.

Not to turn this into a Goring vs Elias thread, but Goring also played on some loaded teams, and for much of his career, teams were averaging 3.5 GPG or better.  Not sure how Goring (career -20) could ever equate himself to Elias (career +172).  One guy was a good player and a winner, like MD2020 said, and the other guy is a debatable HHoFamer.  

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

Lamoriello has stated that the Devils had the top 3 goalies in this draft ranked

1. Brodeur

2. Dunham

3. Schwab

It wasn't much of a secret that Calgary loved Trevor Kidd whose greatest NHL accomplishment was ugly checkered pads and growing a douchy nu metal bassist beard

Kidd was actually high on a lot of boards...just not Lou's.  ;)

• Like 2

Lockouts. Don't forget lockouts. Patty lost a whole season of his prime, as did Marty.

27 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lockouts. Don't forget lockouts. Patty lost a whole season of his prime, as did Marty.

Not to mention what happened to Patrik during that lost season...ugh...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

You mean Hall of Fame St. Louis Blues Goaltender Martin Brodeur?! 

:evil:

The Blues always wanted revenge on us. The tampering that led to Stevens after we rebuffed Brind'Amour & Cujo. Then the tampering with Stevens that led to us being awarded a pick. Having Brodeur in that uniform however brief it was, and then keeping him as a gofer was meant as a shot at us

Not to mention what happened to Patrik during that lost season...ugh...

Right? Which caused him to miss the first three months of 05-06- Patty didn't make it back until January of that season. So that stupid lockout actually cost Patty a season+. Lot of lost production there.

If you hypothetically had players and league execs elect players to the HOF, and if you could control their impulse to vote for their buddies, Elias would be a lock.  

I don’t know of a writer that didn’t cover the Devils who comes close to appreciating how good Elias was and for how long he was so good.  They’re mostly the people who think the Devils teams of 1999 to 2003 were “boring.”  (Of course they’re the same people who say Ottawa was “crafty” for playing an even more exaggerated form of the trap).

On the other hand, I bet that most players and GMs appreciated that he was one of the best players in the game.  

But that’s not the way it works, so I don’t think Elias will ever make it.