Gibbons emerges as a scoring threat

MadDog2020

It's always fun when guys like Gibbons get off to these kinds of starts, but it's almost always due to unsustainable shooting%s (the author makes a passing reference to Gibbons' shooting% without going into detail).

Gibbons is currently shooting 33.3%.  No, won't continue.  Maybe he can score around 20 goals by season's end, as long as he can stay healthy and get great puck luck (like Clarkson did when he scored 30)...I'll happily take that from him. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Cards on the table, I was annoyed this guy made the team out of camp over Blandisi or Quenneville.

But obviously, the coaches know more than I do.

He's been a fun energy player to watch.

Are you still an “energy player” when you lead the team in goals?

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Are you still an “energy player” when you lead the team in goals?

As his shooting% starts to normalize, I think he'll be that...a guy who has some "loud shifts".  Just very hard to imagine that he'll keep this up.  It's still been a blast to watch.

17 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As his shooting% starts to normalize, I think he'll be that...a guy who has some "loud shifts".  Just very hard to imagine that he'll keep this up.  It's still been a blast to watch.

I have no doubt that will happen. 

Andrew Gross called it (or something like it) in his Live Blog column - no one can stop the Gibber (for long): 

The Devils’ leading goal scorer, Brian Gibbons (10 goals, four assists) had a three-game point streak snapped on Friday night.

Get this, his longest pointless streak this season is just two games and that’s happened just once this season and that was on Oct. 19-20.

Meaning, odds are he gets a point tonight.

• Like 1

Now shooting 34.4%.  Crazy...too crazy to continue.  Just going to enjoy this while it lasts. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

It's mentioned in another thread he is UFA after this season. Should he continue how he's going, should he be expecting a big payday?

I guess it depends on what you mean by big payday, both in term and in dollars...and how convinced rival GMs are that he can do this again. 

It's safe to say that he won't continue to shoot 34.4% over the course of a full season...that's definitely the one fair assumption that we can make.  The bigger question is how much does he fall off? 

He has 32 SOG through 23 GP...about 1.4 per game.  Factoring in some level of regression of SOG and S% over the season's final 59 GP or so, as long as he doesn't miss any games, I think he could manage around 10 goals through the rest of the season...say, 65 SOG and a 15.3% from here on out in this season's remaining games. 

He'll also be 30 years old by the end of this year, and if he does indeed slow up, it will be easy for some to say that his glamour stats are bloated due to a fluke start to this season that will probably never happen again. 

I'm not knocking him...if anything, I think he can still be a useful player even when the goals stop coming, who might even develop a knack for scoring an occasionally timely goal.  I could see him getting a 2-year/$3.5 million kind of deal to stay here, depending on what he does from here on out...there's just not enough of a track record for him to expect much more in terms of years or dollars.  I just wonder if he'll completely disappear as a goal-scorer before much longer...as has been pointed out, this guy has no history of doing this as a pro. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I could see him getting a 2-year/$3.5 million kind of deal to stay here, depending on what he does from here on out...

I'd give him that in a second if he continues doing what he's doing. 

It's the age thing that I think will keep the price down. If he was 24 years old that would be one thing, but at almost 30 you almost have to assume its a fluke and his age will start showing. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I'd give him that in a second if he continues doing what he's doing. 

It's the age thing that I think will keep the price down. If he was 24 years old that would be one thing, but at almost 30 you almost have to assume its a fluke and his age will start showing. 

And that $3.5 million-or-so over 2 seasons would be a hell of a raise for a guy who's basically a lifetime AHLer...coming into this season, he had 74 NHL games under his belt, and he's "only" making $650k this season.  Now if he somehow turns in two similar kinds of seasons during that contract (say around 20 goals per season and lots of loud shifts), then maybe he sees his salary jump up into the around-$3 million range.  But he's still a real wild card, as far as the rest of this year goes...I probably shouldn't try to go too crazy predicting what he'll do.