Find the dumb GM - Marc Bergevin edition

Daniel

So there has been chatter in the past day or so about Montreal going into rebuild mode at the suggestion of Bergevin.  If it’s true, it’s amazing that he wasn’t fired immediately after broaching the subject since it’s 100 percent his fault that they’re in that situation.  So while he’s still there, how could we fleece him?

I imagine the player to offer would be Zacha, but I think Shero would almost have to tell Hynes to put him on the PP so he can up his point totals to increase his trade value.  

Is Shea Weber still good that you can trade a player you can live without just to take on his salary?

1 hour ago, aylbert said:

I don’t want Weber for the next 9 years or so through 2025/26...   too much term given he’s 32

He’ll probably retire well before that and Nashville is on the hook for his recapture penalty if it’s not done away with in the next CBA.

Rumours that i heard around here is that before the season Shero offered Henrique for Galchenyuk (not sure if it was one for one or other picks/players were involved) and Bergevin turned it down. Then few weeks into the season Bergevin contacted Shero again and offered the same deal, then Shero turned it down.

Is it true or not? god knows but that's what i read a few times

NBC sports also reported that the Wild and the Devils were in contact with Bergevin for Galchenyuk and that Henrique and Scandella were the players discussed

Dregger also confirmed that we were after Galchenyuk at that time

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

I'd like to think that Zacha, Henrique, and a first would be enough for Weber but not likely.

Think more: Jesper Bratt and Will Butcher leaving along with other top goods. That's what it takes to get an elite 1D. 

That I would pass on. 

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Jesus Christ your valuation of Shea Weber and his monstrosity of a contract is insanely out of touch.

I have to agree with that. And I would add, Butcher is probably our only D that I would consider untouchable.

I mean I would take McDavid for him... ;)

Edited by mfitz804

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Jesus Christ your valuation of Shea Weber and his monstrosity of a contract is insanely out of touch.

Has his value dropped so significantly since he was traded for PK?

On the other side of that, exactly how much do you think those Devils players are worth?

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Has his value dropped so significantly since he was traded for PK?

On the other side of that, exactly how much do you think those Devils players are worth?

He’s 32 years old now and pretty much everyone recognized that it was an awful deal at the time. That’s Zach Parise’s age and defensemen tend to age worse than forwards. The only thing holding Bergevin back from trading him is that he’ll look even worse even if he’s now getting the best value he can get.  That’s kind of why I think Zacha, if he starts putting up some points might be enough as he has that recent top ten pick pedigree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

He’s 32 years old now and pretty much everyone recognized that it was an awful deal at the time. That’s Zach Parise’s age and defensemen tend to age worse than forwards. The only thing holding Bergevin back from trading him is that he’ll look even worse even if he’s now getting the best value he can get.  That’s kind of why I think Zacha, if he starts putting up some points might be enough as he has that recent top ten pick pedigree. 

His value has decreased no doubt. But not by much. And if you think giving them the players I mentioned is some lock to get a deal done, you're seeing things through shades of red and black. None of the Devils players I mentioned command that much from the market. Not yet. If Weber comes into NJ, he's our 1D right away.

As a Devils fan living in Quebec City, I can tell you that the Habs are litteraly crumbling. The fans are truly starting to let go and go crazy. But honestly, other than Weber and MAYBE Mete, there is no one on the habs roster I would try and get, as most of their players are brutaly overrated. 

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

He’ll probably retire well before that and Nashville is on the hook for his recapture penalty if it’s not done away with in the next CBA.

He won't. He'll be too broken down to play (supposedly) and will take a medical at camp once a year, sit on IR/LTIR and get paid 1 million for his troubles.

If Montreal are truly rebuilding, I'd call about Jeff Petry.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

His value has decreased no doubt. But not by much. And if you think giving them the players I mentioned is some lock to get a deal done, you're seeing things through shades of red and black. None of the Devils players I mentioned command that much from the market. Not yet. If Weber comes into NJ, he's our 1D right away.

He'll be done by the time NJ are a contender, if they can even be one with Weber on the books and not what he currently is/has been (which is a 1D but not an elite 1D). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

He'll be done by the time NJ are a contender, if they can even be one with Weber on the books and not what he currently is/has been (which is a 1D but not an elite 1D). 

That might be true. But then there isn't any real point in trading for a 1D now anyway, as long as you don't think we will be a contender any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

That might be true. But then there isn't any real point in trading for a 1D now anyway, as long as you don't think we will be a contender any time soon. 

Nonsense. Just don't trade for one who likely will have fallen off in two years and is signed for 7 more or however many years it is. IF the Devils would trade for an average #1D (so the 15.5th best dman in the league) I'd be very confident in calling them a playoff team. Then you can add in around that player, which is very different from what we're doing now which is adding depth to depth. If Weber had three years left on his deal or something like that, it'd be a worthwhile discussion to have, because then he couldn't completely cripple the team from 2022-2026.

Edited by Marshall

I'd say Weber has another 4 or 5 seasons of good to elite hockey left in him, his game has never been built around skating or speed so if his legs start to go a bit I think he should still be a very effective player in the same vein that Chara was before the last season or two. That being said, I wouldn't touch that contract with a 10 foot pole.

EDIT: If we wanna take advantage of a dumb GM for a defenseman, maybe knocking on Pete Chiarelli's door again would be a good idea. They've been looking for a winger for McDavid all season and maybe we could lure away Darnell Nurse for the right price.

Edited by CommonDreads

10 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I'd like to think that Zacha, Henrique, and a first would be enough for Weber but not likely.

Think more: Jesper Bratt and Will Butcher leaving along with other top goods. That's what it takes to get an elite 1D. 

Hard pass.  No way I do that deal.  Weber is on the decline and the wrong side of 30.  Galchenyuk I would take a look at, but the price is probably going to be too steep for a guy that thinks he's a center, but really is a wing and pouts when they play him there.

Honestly, I really hope Shero sticks with the rebuilding plan and doesn't do anything crazy trying to get this team in the playoffs this season.  We need to look to the long term with this rebuild, and giving up top prospects and picks for guys over 30 doesn't make a lot of sense based upon where we are at in the process.

Just now, Chuck the Duck said:

Hard pass.  No way I do that deal.  Weber is on the decline and the wrong side of 30.  Galchenyuk I would take a look at, but the price is probably going to be too steep for a guy that thinks he's a center, but really is a wing and pouts when they play him there.

Honestly, I really hope Shero sticks with the rebuilding plan and doesn't do anything crazy trying to get this team in the playoffs this season.  We need to look to the long term with this rebuild, and giving up top prospects and picks for guys over 30 doesn't make a lot of sense based upon where we are at in the process.

What I think will happen:  Devils will make a serious run at John Carlson in the offseason and end up getting him. 

My absolute pipe dream of what could happen (but almost definitely won't, as I can't see the Sens not doing every last thing in their power to keep Karlsson):  The Devils pass on Carlson and roll the dice on that "other" Karlsson (Erik Karlsson) somehow making it to UFA after the 2018-19 season.  I don't kid myself for a second here...the only way that I could see this happening is if Karlsson decided that he 100% wasn't coming back to the Sens, and the Devils traded for him sometime next year (it would cost a ton obviously), and then signed him before he ever went UFA.  No, won't ever happen.

13 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

The only asset we should be trading Zacha for is a defenseman, not another struggling forward.

I don't disagree, but Zacha doesn't get you much on defense on his own at this point.

Personally, I think Zacha is well on his way to busting into a 3rd/4th line player.  Hope I'm wrong, will happily eat crow down the line.

But in my mind, if you can get another similarly talented young forward for him at this point.. I'd do it.