Sign in to follow this  
RunninWithTheDevil

GDT: Devils @ Wings 7:00 MSG+2

16 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just remember that no GM ever bats 1.000...I understood some of the transitional/stopgap moves, but I thought Shero overdid it with some of the Penguin Dollar Store acquisitions...and those moves in particular haven't really paid off that much.  But that's nitpicking...those are the kinds of low-cost moves a team that's in transition makes, until better personnel start filtering into the system.  You bring guys like that in hoping for an honest effort more than anything else.     

Right now Shero has done a terrific job and there's no debating...there's considerable payroll flexibility, as he wisely stayed out of the high-tier FA market, and saw some other contracts (like Elias') thankfully expire (Ryane Clowe's disastrous contact is off the books after this season...even better).  Much of what's here is either cost-controlled for the near future, or on contracts that aren't remotely crippling.  I've given Shero credit multiple times (including the appreciation thread of course), in that he inherited a complete mess (though some pieces were here) and turned the Devils into a competitive and fun team in an insanely short timeframe...not even the "metrics are everything" crowd believed that was possible.  What Shero has accomplished has been pretty sensational, made more so by how creative he's been in doing this. 

It will be very interesting to see how he does in this next phase...there won't be room for everyone, and some interesting young players will be eventually dealt for right-now players, or for other assets.  But I don't know how Phase 1 could've gone any better. 

BTW, the UFA class for the Devils this upcoming season:  Clowe, Gibbons, Stafford, Hayes, Moore, and Prout.  RFAs are Wood, Noesen, Coleman, and Santini.  I'm guessing Santini gets a nice 4-5 year bridge contract.  I can see Wood getting a 2-3 year deal, as long as he shows progress. 

How is a 4-5 year contract 'a bridge contract'?  A bridge contract is 2 years, maybe 3 in some rare cases.  The idea behind a bridge contract is that it 'bridges' the player until another RFA year.  Santini is UFA in 2022.

As for the Penguins shopping, obviously Brian Gibbons is part of this, and given how almost all of those moves were very low-risk, low-reward moves, I don't really get the criticism of Shero on that basis.  

The Devils are still not a good team despite this start, so this will be by far the hardest off-season Shero will have.  Signing Santini to a big deal could very well be a disaster.  Re-signing Moore would be a mistake at any price.  Signing Carlson to the big deal everyone here wants could also be a huge error.  He's got to find a way to upgrade the defense.

38 minutes ago, Triumph said:

How is a 4-5 year contract 'a bridge contract'?  A bridge contract is 2 years, maybe 3 in some rare cases.  The idea behind a bridge contract is that it 'bridges' the player until another RFA year.  Santini is UFA in 2022.

As for the Penguins shopping, obviously Brian Gibbons is part of this, and given how almost all of those moves were very low-risk, low-reward moves, I don't really get the criticism of Shero on that basis.  

The Devils are still not a good team despite this start, so this will be by far the hardest off-season Shero will have.  Signing Santini to a big deal could very well be a disaster.  Re-signing Moore would be a mistake at any price.  Signing Carlson to the big deal everyone here wants could also be a huge error.  He's got to find a way to upgrade the defense.

I said that I understood the Penguin Dollar Store moves...I said they were low-cost, and I also said that picking them apart was nitpicking.  It's not like I was killing him for going down that road. 

I meant "bridge" as bridging the gap through Santini's UFA season, at a fixed cost...maybe Shero commits to him for a bunch of seasons, maybe not...I was thinking something along the lines of the 4-year deal Parise signed back in 2007 (not the exact same contract, just something like it)...I guess by your definition that's not a bridge kind of deal?

Where did I imply that I wanted Moore re-signed?  I just pointed out that along with others, he goes UFA.  And yeah, EVERYONE knows the D needs upgrades, not exactly breaking news there.   

I'm kind of on the fence about Carlson myself...I said this in another thread, but I'd love for the Devils to go after the "other" Karlsson after next season, but it seems unlikely that Ottawa would ever let him reach UFA. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It will be hard, I am not so sure there are many other options out there without overpaying in trades or UFA.  Shero has done relatively well to keep the signings reasonable, so I suspect (read: hope) that will be the case with Santini.  I don't mind Moore, but I think if there are better options out there we should take them.  Moore shouldn't be used more than a #6 defenseman, but I suspect he is going to want a raise.

johansson cleared to play but won't play tnight. Will joined for the road trip against colorado / arizona / colombus according to Andrew Gross

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just remember that no GM ever bats 1.000...I understood some of the transitional/stopgap moves, but I thought Shero overdid it with some of the Penguin Dollar Store acquisitions...and those moves in particular haven't really paid off that much.  But that's nitpicking...those are the kinds of low-cost moves a team that's in transition makes, until better personnel start filtering into the system.  You bring guys like that in hoping for an honest effort more than anything else.     

Right now Shero has done a terrific job and there's no debating...there's considerable payroll flexibility, as he wisely stayed out of the high-tier FA market, and saw some other contracts (like Elias') thankfully expire (Ryane Clowe's disastrous contact is off the books after this season...even better).  Much of what's here is either cost-controlled for the near future, or on contracts that aren't remotely crippling.  I've given Shero credit multiple times (including the appreciation thread of course), in that he inherited a complete mess (though some pieces were here) and turned the Devils into a competitive and fun team in an insanely short timeframe...not even the "metrics are everything" crowd believed that was possible.  What Shero has accomplished has been pretty sensational, made more so by how creative he's been in doing this. 

It will be very interesting to see how he does in this next phase...there won't be room for everyone, and some interesting young players will be eventually dealt for right-now players, or for other assets.  But I don't know how Phase 1 could've gone any better. 

BTW, the UFA class for the Devils this upcoming season:  Clowe, Gibbons, Stafford, Hayes, Moore, and Prout.  RFAs are Wood, Noesen, Coleman, and Santini.  I'm guessing Santini gets a nice 4-5 year bridge contract.  I can see Wood getting a 2-3 year deal, as long as he shows progress. 

Well what i mean is that Shero has proven that he's approaching these situations the right way IMO (business wize). We saw how he's handling these situations in the past especially with Letang and Staal as prime examples. Which is why i'm absolutely not worried. 

Santini is getting a ton of D-zone starts, like 75%.. so hes doing some heavy lifting, or hes having trouble getting the puck out , probably a bit of both :)

25 points projected  , minus 5 ... what type of offer sheet is he getting?

28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

johansson cleared to play but won't play tnight. Will joined for the road trip against colorado / arizona / colombus according to Andrew Gross

That's good to hear, would like to see him stay in the lineup for a while. 

27 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well what i mean is that Shero has proven that he's approaching these situations the right way IMO (business wize). We saw how he's handling these situations in the past especially with Letang and Staal as prime examples. Which is why i'm absolutely not worried. 

I'm not worried about him either, but he does have some challenges still forthcoming.

As far as his biz approach, I like that he never tried to make a big splash (for the sake of making one) by overpaying in UFA...I also liked that it seemed like he knew Shattenkirk wasn't that interested in coming here as long as the Rangers were involved and was prepared, and with other offseason moves was able to make Shattenkirk not coming here not feel like some major defeat.     

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I said that I understood the Penguin Dollar Store moves...I said they were low-cost, and I also said that picking them apart was nitpicking.  It's not like I was killing him for going down that road.

What I'm saying is that Gibbons is part of said Penguins Dollar Store moves and is basically worth his contract even if he never scores another goal this season.  I never understood why he got killed for this in the first place, though.  

I meant "bridge" as bridging the gap through Santini's UFA season, at a fixed cost...maybe Shero commits to him for a bunch of seasons, maybe not...I was thinking something along the lines of the 4-year deal Parise signed back in 2007 (not the exact same contract, just something like it)...I guess by your definition that's not a bridge kind of deal?

That's not a bridge deal, no.  There'd be no reason to refer to it as a bridge anything.  I don't think Parise's 4 year deal is a bridge deal either.  Teams were not signing RFA players to huge deals back then - 4 years was a long-term deal.  As it stands, the reason why the so-called 'bridge' deal is talked about so much is because teams tend to go either 1 year, 2 years, or 6+ years.  There aren't a lot of RFA deals that end up in the years between that now.  Kucherov's was one.

Where did I imply that I wanted Moore re-signed?  I just pointed out that along with others, he goes UFA.  And yeah, EVERYONE knows the D needs upgrades, not exactly breaking news there. 

Never said you did.  Just that Shero has fixed the forwards through the draft and trades and free agency but has not come close on the D yet.  I'm not expecting the D to be fixed, but that Mueller trade doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.

I'm kind of on the fence about Carlson myself...I said this in another thread, but I'd love for the Devils to go after the "other" Karlsson after next season, but it seems unlikely that Ottawa would ever let him reach UFA.

Yeah, something like that would be great - obviously it's very hard to get a defenseman like that, even with some of the forward trade pieces NJ has.  But yeah, just as a general statement, the Carlson cult might be awfully disappointed if he does end up here for 7 years and big money.