Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

If Rico wasn't a handsome social media darling with the most important goal in 10 years, everyone would be thrilled with this move. Henrique just hasn't been that good for years. He does not make any line he's on better and the Devils have too many forwards that can play top 6.

this trade makes terrific sense.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Crushed that Rico is moving on. Don't know enough about Vatanen to have a feeling on that but that really sucks. 

What the fvck has Shero got against people called Adam anyway?!?!?!

Ray’s real first name is secretly Adam, and he also is secretly a highlander. As we all know, there can be only one...

I don't like Vatanen, it's true, but I've done a little more thinking about this move and I'm coming around.  Santini is getting absolutely destroyed out there - Vatanen has to be able to reduce his minutes if they plan on playing him on the right side (which they certainly should).  One thing that I rarely know is what side people play on in other cities - Vatanen is listed as an LD on Capfriendly and I don't know if that means anything, but if he's been playing over there (Anaheim has Montour, Bieksa, and Manson as RHD as well as Vatanen) that'll ding his numbers significantly.

They're back to having 8 D so I wonder if they plan on scratching Butcher now that they have a power play guy in Vatanen.  This deal gives them 5 RHD on the roster so I'm gonna say that's not great.  They'll have to shrug off a D somewhere whether it's Prout being waived or something else, I imagine.

so i like Vatanen.

Mostly played 2nd pairing with Cam Fowler averaging about 21min of ice time per game.

"Owns excellent offensive ability, solid puck-moving skills and plenty of hockey sense. Is capable of running a power play and also owns a very accurate point shot."

• Like 3

Have to believe this was brewing for a while. Take a look at Shero's exit interviews last season, seemed like a lot of the hustling concerns could've been directed at Henrique. I thought they might have been past this when Henrique started the season with some fire we haven't seen since his rookie year. 

Thanks for the memories, Adam. This trade strengthens us tremendously though. Put your big boy pants on Zacha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

If Rico wasn't a handsome social media darling with the most important goal in 10 years, everyone would be thrilled with this move. Henrique just hasn't been that good for years. He does not make any line he's on better and the Devils have too many forwards that can play top 6.

this trade makes terrific sense.

Who would have thought that statement would have any validity a year ago.  Crazy how fast things changed, and how winning the draft lottery truly effected the rebuild process here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You can't be serious that the Devils might scratch Butcher? I know he's not the most incredible defensively, but he's been fvcking great this season.

Yeah, it’d be crazy to scratch a player who’s tied for 2nd in points on the team. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I'll be honest here, I'm surprised to see one of the few players on our team that's really fully embraced NJ; giving back to the local community and constantly interacting with fans, being shipped out. I know it makes sense, I guess, from a hockey standpoint. And that's all that matters. But he was a leader in the locker room, and a solid player his entire career for NJ. This hurts, dog.

Exactly this. I’m pretty bummed

• Like 1

Rico was a fan favorite, and rightfully so, I'll never forget hugging my brothers in the stands when he scored that OT winner against the Rags in 2012. But, this trade makes perfect sense, and I think the Devils get the better player in this deal. Adam was looking more and more like an average middle 6 center and at times Vatanen has been a reliable top pairing option for the Ducks, I think he's best used as a #3 and I'd much rather have a #3 defenseman than a 2nd-ish/3rd line center.

Can't thank Rico enough for all he's done for this organization though, he's been such a good soldier

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Who would have thought that statement would have any validity a year ago.  Crazy how fast things changed, and how winning the draft lottery truly effected the rebuild process here.

Bratt exploding out of the gate and getting completely  unfathomable scoring from freaking Gibbons wasn’t a bad addition either 

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Just for grins, I clicked on the comment section of the Devils’ Facebook post about the trade, man one fan girl is already predicting Hischier to be a bust because she knows he’ll never have enough gas in the tank for a full NHL season

some people’s kids...

Do yourself a favor and never venture there ever again. Nothing but frustration can be gained.

It's really the non-hockey element that has me salted on this. Shero basically just Taylor Hall'd Adam Henrique. He fully invested himself in NJ and the team and stuck out the bad years when there looked like there was no hope and you couldn't beg a player to WANT to play here. Now that things are on the upswing he gets the boot? It's just very dogsh!t.

2 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

Thanks for this moment Adam

Outside of winning the Stanley Cups, this is the single greatest moment I experienced as a fan of this team.  I have 2 autographed photos of this scene in my house. 

Can't believe it's only been 5 years since it happened.  It feels like ages ago.  Thank you Adam!  You will be missed, but forever will be a Devil.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, CommonDreads said:

Rico was a fan favorite, and rightfully so, I'll never forget hugging my brothers in the stands when he scored that OT winner against the Rags in 2012. But, this trade makes perfect sense, and I think the Devils get the better player in this deal. Adam was looking more and more like an average middle 6 center and at times Vatanen has been a reliable top pairing option for the Ducks, I think he's best used as a #3 and I'd much rather have a #3 defenseman than a 2nd-ish/3rd line center.

Can't thank Rico enough for all he's done for this organization though, he's been such a good soldier

On Game Misconduct Monday, LaGreca and Hradek we’re discussing what it takes to get a center in the league. Us getting a solid defender for a center plus is a win in my book.

I will NEVER forget G6 ‘12 but nostalgia wont get us to the post season. Thanks for everything Rico!

3 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Do yourself a favor and never venture there ever again. Nothing but frustration can be gained.

It's really the non-hockey element that has me salted on this. Shero basically just Taylor Hall'd Adam Henrique. He fully invested himself in NJ and the team and stuck out the bad years when there looked like there was no hope and you couldn't beg a player to WANT to play here. Now that things are on the upswing he gets the boot? It's just very dogsh!t.

I went for pure comedy and got it quickly. Really wanted to stir the pot but it was just too easy.

i don’t feel as though this deal wreeks of the Hall scenario quite as badly. This is a clear upgrade in a position where we needed it, it just happened to take a guy that embraced the team especially during a time when no one rightfully would. Chiarelli on the other hand, pretty much blamed Hall and said that’s why it was him that went

Good trade on both sides. This helps one of our needs. I imagine Prout is being rid of soon enough, and when Mirco comes back, it’s gonne get interesting. Lovejoy is out? Will Moore be re-signed? Wonder what Shero’s plan is with our defence. 

Also, Anaheim’s center depth is really looking good: Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, Vermette seems like a pretty good center core to me.