Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Good trade on both sides. This helps one of our needs. I imagine Prout is being rid of soon enough, and when Mirco comes back, it’s gonne get interesting. Lovejoy is out? Will Moore be re-signed? Wonder what Shero’s plan is with our defence. 

Also, Anaheim’s center depth is really looking good: Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, Vermette seems like a pretty good center core to me.

I gotta imagine we keep Lovejoy in. Man feels weird saying that considering how opposed to him still being here this season I was. Prout is surely done in Jersey, the question, as you said becomes who is the odd man out when Mueller comes back.

Just now, Devs3cups said:

Good trade on both sides. This helps one of our needs. I imagine Prout is being rid of soon enough, and when Mirco comes back, it’s gonne get interesting. Lovejoy is out? Will Moore be re-signed? Wonder what Shero’s plan is with our defence. 

Also, Anaheim’s center depth is really looking good: Getzlaf, Kesler, Henrique, Vermette seems like a pretty good center core to me.

Don't forget that Carlson could be out there as a UFA this offseason. 

If Prout's days as a Devil weren't already numbered, yeah, they sure are now...especially since Lovejoy hasn't been too bad. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I gotta imagine we keep Lovejoy in. Man feels weird saying that considering how opposed to him still being here this season I was. Prout is surely done in Jersey, the question, as you said becomes who is the odd man out when Mueller comes back.

Who do you think goes? 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't forget that Carlson could be out there as a UFA this offseason. 

If Prout's days as a Devil weren't already numbered, yeah, they sure are now...especially since Lovejoy hasn't been too bad. 

Oh yes, no doubt in my mind Shero will go all in on Carlson. If Carlson is signed here, Moore is a goner for sure.

Edited by Devs3cups

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Per Dreger, the deal was being discussed for the past 10 days.

If that's the case, you'd think that Anaheim would have been calling up other teams to bid up the price.  So maybe Vatanen isn't as well regarded around the league as some people think.

Makes me wonder if Shero gave Henrique any sort of heads up.  

Especially with him holding that event the other night.

8 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Looks like the Ducks are in need of a center, Guessing injuries

Anaheim is currently without forwards Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves, with Getzlaf and Kesler not expected to return in late December or early January.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Oh yes, no doubt in my mind Shero will go all in on Carlson. If Carlson is signed here, Moore is a goner for sure.

I think Moore is probably a goner anyway...he was a stopgap signing, a relatively young guy signed to very low dollars to get by with while Shero dismantled and remade the team.  It worked pretty well for the Devils relative to the state of the team, and Moore's had some nice moments, and a knack for memorable goals.  But I don't think he ever figured into the Devils' plans beyond this season...and it wouldn't surprise me if he was dealt before the end of the season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

4 minutes ago, MrBreeze said:

* Condition: If Ducks sign Henrique to an ext prior to 2019 Draft, Devils get 2019 3rd. If after then 2020 3rd. If no ext, no pick exchanged.

So the Devils could be potentially giving up 3 players for just Vatanen...

Hopefully this will work out well for both teams and they end up signing him. Wish Rico all the best. 

26 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Per Dreger, the deal was being discussed for the past 10 days.

If that's the case, you'd think that Anaheim would have been calling up other teams to bid up the price.  So maybe Vatanen isn't as well regarded around the league as some people think.

Where was the price on Vatanen going?  He's not having a very good year numbers-wise, they're playing him with Bieksa sometimes, and centers are hard to get and Anaheim got 2 in this deal.  I think both sides got a fair deal.

Sad to see Henrique go, but honestly, I'm very excited about this.  We addressed a huge need.  Vatanen is strong the puck, and has great speed through the neutral zone.  Quite a good shot too, so he can help on the PP.  He's instantly a first pairing d-man for us.  Put him with Greene, then Severson and Mueller (when healthy), and then Butcher and Santini on the 3rd pairing, and we have a stronger corp back there.

Obviously I'll miss Henrique for his time with us over the years and the memories.  They won't be forgotten.  But we actually have some forward depth now and I think this opens up the door for McLeod to  join the team in the near future.  If not this season, then definitely next season.  Either that or Zacha now goes back to Center if he can be trusted in that role. 

Will miss Blandisi for sure as well, was hoping he would get another shot at the roster.  Wouldn't like to have had him over Noesen these past few games because Noesen has been invisible, but as others have said, it takes a lot to get a good defenseman nowadays, so not too surprised he was thrown in the mix.

Kudos to Shero for being in tune to the team's needs and the current state of affairs.  A lot of us were looking at Henrique being the odd man out, and sure enough, it happened. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

So the Devils could be potentially giving up 3 players for just Vatanen...

Hopefully this will work out well for both teams and they end up signing him. Wish Rico all the best. 

Pay to play, especially for what looks to be a solid "young vet" D who can provide a little offense. 

We're all forgetting (I did too) that Zajac is back, MoJo is about to come back, and not too far down the line, Palms will be back in the lineup...sure, other guys could get hurt in the meantime, but someone was going to get squeezed out, and Adam was one of the most tradable and expendable guys on the roster. 

Seems like a potentially good deal for both sides. 

• Like 2