Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He’s been great. Playing huge minutes, and is hands down the best defenseman on the team. 

And the gap between #1 and #2 has been huge. I’m not even sure who our second best defenseman has been, it might be Ben fvcking Lovejoy!!

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

And the gap between #1 and #2 has been huge. I’m not even sure who our second best defenseman has been, it might be Ben fvcking Lovejoy!!

Felt like Severson was getting there but in the past few weeks he has fallen off. I think it might be Lovejoy as well, the PK has been great and he's been a part of that.

I loved the trade then & still Do, Vat has been very good lately.

I'll be honest, my faith in Butche is gone, he is not good defensively, he is not a good skater and often his passes are too predicable.

If it was up to me he would sit & Mueller would play.

9 minutes ago, redruM said:

I'll be honest, my faith in Butche is gone, he is not good defensively, he is not a good skater and often his passes are too predicable.

You'd sit the rookie with 30+ assists? Not me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redruM said:

And yet he’s 2nd on the team in assists. 

Butcher has been getting weaker in his own end as the season has gone on.  He still produces offensively here and there, but defense he is getting hammered some games.  I will chalk that up to rookie issues.

As for Vats, I love what he has done for this team.  Not sure if this was posted here, but he other night they showed how Vats played 10 minutes more than any other defenseman in a recent game and typically against the other team's best.  The fact that he is doing that, holding his own and pitching in the most points outside of Hall and Palms shows how important he is to the team.  He is quite frankly the best defenseman we have had since Rafalski.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Butcher has been getting weaker in his own end as the season has gone on.  He still produces offensively here and there, but defense he is getting hammered some games.  I will chalk that up to rookie issues.

As for Vats, I love what he has done for this team.  Not sure if this was posted here, but he other night they showed how Vats played 10 minutes more than any other defenseman in a recent game and typically against the other team's best.  The fact that he is doing that, holding his own and pitching in the most points outside of Hall and Palms shows how important he is to the team.  He is quite frankly the best defenseman we have had since Rafalski.

Heh, I've actually been more impressed with him lately. It is important to note he has been dragging Lovejoy around for awhile

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

As for Vats, I love what he has done for this team.  Not sure if this was posted here, but he other night they showed how Vats played 10 minutes more than any other defenseman in a recent game and typically against the other team's best.  The fact that he is doing that, holding his own and pitching in the most points outside of Hall and Palms shows how important he is to the team.  He is quite frankly the best defenseman we have had since Rafalski.

Yep

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Probably the Unsung Hero this season.  One of those guys that just has a way of getting overlooked, or noticed for the wrong things.  But he's really settled in nicely...and is under team control for another two seasons beyond this one.

41 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And yet he’s 2nd on the team in assists. 

Yes, but over the last month he has 5 assists, and that includes 4 this week ( 2 against a terrible Montreal team). that means 1 assist the previous 3 weeks!!

his offense has not been great over the last month and his "D" has never been good, would it kill anyone to sit him for a few games?  Are you telling me this ROOKIE is too good to sit?

25 minutes ago, redruM said:

Yes, but over the last month he has 5 assists, and that includes 4 this week ( 2 against a terrible Montreal team). that means 1 assist the previous 3 weeks!!

his offense has not been great over the last month and his "D" has never been good, would it kill anyone to sit him for a few games?  Are you telling me this ROOKIE is too good to sit?

No, I wouldn’t sit him for Mueller. 

56 minutes ago, redruM said:

I am definitely telling you that when the alternative is Mueller. To elaborate, he's also basically at a rookie level (74 games played in his career) and he has a whopping 8 points. Butcher has 34 points in 68 games. Butcher is probably less good defensively, but not by that much. 

And, you're looking at his point production when the team hadn't been scoring pretty much as a whole except for Hall, so looking at only a 4 week period is unfair. Although, even if you do that, Butcher had 5 assists in a month, Mueller has 6 in 74 games. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

He is quite frankly the best defenseman we have had since Rafalski.

I hadn't thought about it, but having thought about it, this is spot on. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

He is quite frankly the best defenseman we have had since Rafalski.

Oh without a doubt. I was thinking about this the other day. Your comparison is spot on. And there is no doubt in my mind Shero wants to keep him after the 2 years. He talked about the move as a ''future'' move when talking to the media if I remember correctly, so I think Shero is planning on keeping him around long-term, as he's only 26. If he keeps playing like that, it'll be an easy decision to make for management. We're gonna have a sh!tload of cap space in 2 years (as we already do and have a lot of dead weight coming off in Clowe, Greene, etc.) with Hall, Hischier, Bratt and Vats to re-sign. Should be a fun summer.

Edited by Devs3cups

I love Rafalski and I see the comparison as players but as far as best defenseman in recent vintage I think peak Andy Greene was pretty darn good too.  You wouldn't know it by the rotting version that's on the ice this year but he had some real solid two-way seasons.

• Like 1