Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

13 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

just saw rico skating around in warm ups with the ducks on NHL network, man he kind of looks lost out there. I feel bad for the guy, I know from a hockey stand point we had to give up someone to pick up some help on D but this blows.

I'm wondering if I am going to end up favoring the Ducks as my west team now.

19 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'll definitely be pulling for them with Rico there. I tend to pull for St Louis as well. Jake Allen is fun to watch and Marty getting another title would be cool. 

Same here. Jake Allen is from Fredericton like 2 hrs from where i live and he has the New-Brunswick flag behind his helmet so it's pretty sweet. We don't get many NHL players from around here.

Oh fun fact by the way. I was not able to post when it was announced few months ago but i was once coached by Roland Melanson (who's from Cap Pelé... like 20 minutes from Moncton) when i was a young goalie. I actually won best goalie at his camp way back hahaha won an helmet. So it was pretty cool when he got the job in NJ

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 7:26 PM, Neb00rs said:

I think anyone hoping for Rico to come back, he's like the long distance GF, he's going to find someone else. He'll fall for Anaheim, they have better better weather and beaches. He's also probably going to play with a mix of Perry, Getzlaf, and Kesler, so he's gonna put up points, especially once that team gets healthier.

Our beaches are the best anywhere. West Coast beaches are the worst.

But you're right, he'll in some ways move on presumably, like most people do with things like this. A few months of settling in, making friends, establishing routines. I'm hoping he still makes his home here during the offseason and remains the proud Jerseyan he's become, but I don't think he'll be begging to come back. He lived here during an important part of his life, especially as a hockey player who bounced around even during his youth. But who knows, Scott Niedermayer went out there after a hall of fame career there and never left. 

I bet all of you are pretty fvcking happy we didn't end up getting Shattenkirk, huh? 

Edited by thecoffeecake

Love Rico for the ot playoff goals but he's gone now and I don't two sh!ts what he does in Anaheim. Marty is my favorite player ever and I'll never root for the Blues just cause he's there either. Once you'e gone I really don't care. 

I liked what I saw from Sami so far, he seems well spoken and happy to be here. Said his home team back in Finland wore red, white and black so he was use to the colors. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Hasn’t Shattenkirk been pretty great this year? He’s a free asset and we have no cap issues; no I’m not happy we didn’t get Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk is older and more expensive. I'd much much rather have Vatanen than have thrown 8 years at Shattenkirk to get 3 prime years out of him, maybe. 

Okay.  So I've kind of came up with my reasons why I wouldn't have moved Henrique.  I was kind of bummed out when I found out about this trade so I wanted to kind of think on it some more and after doing that I wanted to share my thoughts.  As a sidebar, I'm sure Vatanen will be great and he's impressed so far.  

My two issues with the moving of Henrique are 1) He was really a core player on this team and the team was kind of building around him.  I don't generally think that you're successful when you start moving these players out when you are doing well.  I say core player because Henrique was drafted and developed by the team and was a leader on and off the ice. If the argument is that we have a newer, younger core, that's fine and I'm willing to concede. 

2)  Why move Larsson if we are just going to acquire another righty in Vatanen?  It seems to be trading for trading sake at this point.  Just trading to shake things up.  I think a little more loyalty was owed to Henrique (and I'm saying that after the Larsson trade) and Shero even admitted (iirc) that it was one of the hardest talks he ever had to have with a player.  Maybe I've been brainwashed into thinking that we need a good balance of lefties and righties on defense.  

Are Adam Larsson and Sami Vatenen such drastically different defensemen that this was required?  I suggested Alex Gogligoski, do you think he would have been a cheaper addition?  

To conclude this, I'm not juvenile and do understand trades are a part of the business and a part of the game.  I'm not upset with Shero at all and can't be upset with how good the team has been up to this point, I'm just curious where the thought process is coming from in management and if it's going to continue. 

Edited by RizzMB30

1 hour ago, RizzMB30 said:

Okay.  So I've kind of came up with my reasons why I wouldn't have moved Henrique.  I was kind of bummed out when I found out about this trade so I wanted to kind of think on it some more and after doing that I wanted to share my thoughts.  As a sidebar, I'm sure Vatanen will be great and he's impressed so far.  

My two issues with the moving of Henrique are 1) He was really a core player on this team and the team was kind of building around him.  I don't generally think that you're successful when you start moving these players out when you are doing well.  I say core player because Henrique was drafted and developed by the team and was a leader on and off the ice. If the argument is that we have a newer, younger core, that's fine and I'm willing to concede. 

2)  Why move Larsson if we are just going to acquire another righty in Vatanen?  It seems to be trading for trading sake at this point.  Just trading to shake things up.  I think a little more loyalty was owed to Henrique (and I'm saying that after the Larsson trade) and Shero even admitted (iirc) that it was one of the hardest talks he ever had to have with a player.  Maybe I've been brainwashed into thinking that we need a good balance of lefties and righties on defense.  

Are Adam Larsson and Sami Vatenen such drastically different defensemen that this was required?  I suggested Alex Gogligoski, do you think he would have been a cheaper addition?  

To conclude this, I'm not juvenile and do understand trades are a part of the business and a part of the game.  I'm not upset with Shero at all and can't be upset with how good the team has been up to this point, I'm just curious where the thought process is coming from in management and if it's going to continue. 

Well i think you have to realize that you're analyzing this "hindsight 20/20 style". Shero didn't know back then that we were gonna get Vatanen when he made the larsson trade and a lot happened in between both trades. We needed someone like Hall and it's paying off this year. 

Plus i'd pick Hall / Vatanen over Henrique / Larsson any day.

• Like 4

Vatanen is a local boy and my brother's friend/former school and teammate from the juniors. I remember skating with him when we were little kids. So it's pretty weird to see him on my favorite team. But welcome to New Jersey, Vadu! Now you better bring the cup here :ph34r:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6:35 mark in this video of Shero talking about the trade...

People who thought that there was hope that the Devils may re-sign Henrique when his contract is up, it sounds like Shero has at least considered the possibility. I understand he said this just in passing, and there's nothing to it, but I thought I would share, based on some comments from this thread.

i mean we're still a work in progress and shouldnt be serious contenders until 2-3 years anyway. For all we know Shero simply sent Henrique on a little vacation under the sun in Anaheim until then and we got Vatanen in the process lol

Not sure we'd have room for him though obviously. Depends on  how guys like Q, Speers, McLeod etc step up.

One thing for sure i'd take Henrique over Zajac

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i mean we're still a work in progress and shouldnt be serious contenders until 2-3 years anyway. For all we know Shero simply sent Henrique on a little vacation under the sun in Anaheim until then and we got Vatanen in the process lol

If we needed a veteran forward and he was available, I’d bring him back. But he’s nowhere near good enough for me to say they HAVE to try, it to think that there was some plan to definitely do it. 

But if he’s available and he hasn’t fallen in love with the year round nice weather of Southern California, why not. 

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not sure we'd have room for him though obviously. Depends on  how guys like Q, Speers, McLeod etc step up.

One thing for sure i'd take Henrique over Zajac

If things go according to plan, some of the kids will be getting hefty raises by then.  Hopefully some guys in the next wave (don't forget Boqvist) can come in and produce at a bargain.  No way I'm overpaying to the tune of $5+ million for multiple years for Henrique as a UFA. 

• Like 2