Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Where was the price on Vatanen going?  He's not having a very good year numbers-wise, they're playing him with Bieksa sometimes, and centers are hard to get and Anaheim got 2 in this deal.  I think both sides got a fair deal.

I mean, I recall when Vatanen signed his extension, he was being talked about as a really good defenseman.  And defensemen on good deals seem to be more valuable than forwards that aren't necessarily centers all the time. 

The deal works for both teams, but Vatanen's reputation seems to be more prestigious than what Anaheim got back.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

As for 3 players, I like Blandisi a lot but he had zero future here, Gibbons took his job in camp and there's just too many guys younger than him competing for limited room in the Devils' lineup.  I'm hoping he does well in Anaheim.

Yah, he's probably good enough to have a real NHL career. 

I also wonder if Quenneville came up in the discussions.  He's quietly performed very well for an age 20-21 player in the AHL.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, I recall when Vatanen signed his extension, he was being talked about as a really good defenseman.  And defensemen on good deals seem to be more valuable than forwards that aren't necessarily centers all the time. 

The deal works for both teams, but Vatanen's reputation seems to be more prestigious than what Anaheim got back.

Vatanen had averaged about 12 goals per 82 games in the first 3+ seasons of his career.  He's had 4 in the 86 games since.  So yeah, that's where Vatanen's reputation went.

Just now, Daniel said:

Yah, he's probably good enough to have a real NHL career. 

I also wonder if Quenneville came up in the discussions.  He's quietly performed very well for an age 20-21 player in the AHL.

Anaheim:  "How about Henrique and Quenneville?"

Shero:  "How about Henrique, Blandisi and a pick...3rd round?" 

Some exchange in that ballpark wouldn't surprise me much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

If Rico wasn't a handsome social media darling with the most important goal in 10 years, everyone would be thrilled with this move. Henrique just hasn't been that good for years. He does not make any line he's on better and the Devils have too many forwards that can play top 6.

this trade makes terrific sense.

AGREED.

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Sad to see Henrique go, but honestly, I'm very excited about this.  We addressed a huge need.  Vatanen is strong the puck, and has great speed through the neutral zone.  Quite a good shot too, so he can help on the PP.  He's instantly a first pairing d-man for us.  Put him with Greene, then Severson and Mueller (when healthy), and then Butcher and Santini on the 3rd pairing, and we have a stronger corp back there.

Obviously I'll miss Henrique for his time with us over the years and the memories.  They won't be forgotten.  But we actually have some forward depth now and I think this opens up the door for McLeod to  join the team in the near future.  If not this season, then definitely next season.  Either that or Zacha now goes back to Center if he can be trusted in that role. 

Will miss Blandisi for sure as well, was hoping he would get another shot at the roster.  Wouldn't like to have had him over Noesen these past few games because Noesen has been invisible, but as others have said, it takes a lot to get a good defenseman nowadays, so not too surprised he was thrown in the mix.

Kudos to Shero for being in tune to the team's needs and the current state of affairs.  A lot of us were looking at Henrique being the odd man out, and sure enough, it happened. 

He appears to be an exact fit for Shero's system, and not so much for Anaheim. 

16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

But we actually have some forward depth now and I think this opens up the door for McLeod to  join the team in the near future.  If not this season, then definitely next season.  Either that or Zacha now goes back to Center if he can be trusted in that role. 

Wasn't he sent back to Juniors?   Doesn't that preclude him from coming up at all this year?

Plus, this could have all been avoided by drafting Provorov over Zacha

1 minute ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Wasn't he sent back to Juniors?   Doesn't that preclude him from coming up at all this year?

Yes, McCleod can't come back up until his junior team is eliminated from the playoffs (or at the end of the season if it misses the playoffs).

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Maybe silly, but I wonder how much Rico’s fundraiser event in Hoboken two nights ago “postponed” the deal. Spent months planning a fundraiser to benefit prostate cancer, seemed like a fantastic success. He’s a great dude.

If that’s your only memory of Adam Henrique, you’re really just about as terrible of a fan as I imagined you were.

I am the WORST fan. Only sat second row from 1995 on in Continental Airlines.  My favorite players are only Mike Peluso and Krzysztof Oliwa.  Sorry, I have a life. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

I never know the rules on juniors/AHL stuff in terms of call-ups, players clearing waivers, etc, so I honestly have no idea.   But even if he was eligible to come up this year, I actually don't see it happening.  We have enough depth at forward at the moment with Johannsen back and Palmieri eventually returning.  I see him most likely earning a spot next season.

On 11/30/2017 at 11:33 AM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Maybe silly, but I wonder how much Rico’s fundraiser event in Hoboken two nights ago “postponed” the deal. Spent months planning a fundraiser to benefit prostate cancer, seemed like a fantastic success. He’s a great dude.

If that’s your only memory of Adam Henrique, you’re really just about as terrible of a fan as I imagined you were.

I was there the night when Henrique put away the Rangers in Game 6 in OT. When he scored the place went absolutely berzerk, so much so that we were screaming leaving the arena and screaming walking to the parking lots in Newark. It exorcised the demons of 1994 and all those sh*tty years when we lost to them in our new building and had to deal with their obnoxious fans. I'll never forget it. I'm sad to see Henrique go but we needed d-men badly and Vatenen seems legit. Here's to hoping he has a great career here. 

Edited by slasher72