Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Do yourself a favor and never venture there ever again. Nothing but frustration can be gained.

It's really the non-hockey element that has me salted on this. Shero basically just Taylor Hall'd Adam Henrique. He fully invested himself in NJ and the team and stuck out the bad years when there looked like there was no hope and you couldn't beg a player to WANT to play here. Now that things are on the upswing he gets the boot? It's just very dogsh!t.

Adam Henrique IS NOT Taylor Hall.  Have you watched a game in the past year? Gee wiz.

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Reading comprehension isn't your forte, I can see that. Let me explain to you what he said, I'll try to use small words. In the same way that Edmonton fans were sad about Hall's departure -- someone who stuck with the team for tons of bad years, right before the team was going to turn around -- it's difficult to see Henrique being shipped out once the ship finally seems to have been righted. 

Hey now, you are the one who lives in Florida...let's not get into education levels...

Reading comprehension isn't your forte, I can see that. Let me explain to you what he said, I'll try to use small words. In the same way that Edmonton fans were sad about Hall's departure -- someone who stuck with the team for tons of bad years, right before the team was going to turn around -- it's difficult to see Henrique being shipped out once the ship finally seems to have been righted. 

Again, Hall is NOT Henrique...entirely different. I stand by what I said. 

Just going to point out that english is not my main language and that your comment is very clear. So if he doesn't get it... well....

11 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I was in Florida for the game 7 2OT winner; 3 rows from the ice and only about 25 feet from where that goal was scored. The single best sports moment of my life. 

That's sick. Those seats must have been awesome. I saw them during that series as well but cant remember which game. My worst memory was Game 1 against the Kings. They were too much for the Devils to handle.. I remember watching the Kings in the pre-game skate and seeing Doughty fire shots on net and thinking to myself... "oh sh*t, this is going to be a long night". 

Edited by slasher72
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I really have no idea. Deadline move or send Santini down since he’s waivers exempt, all assuming Ray doesn’t want to keep 8 defenders up.

Prout is done at the NHL level for sure.

Doubt Santini is sent down. He's playing like a beast. I absolutely love him by the way. Huge piece for us going forward with this team, not only this year. 

• Like 2

Ray Shero has gotten the #NJDevilsNHL_2017_2018_NJDevils.png: Taylor Hall Sami Vatanen Kyle Palmieri Marcus Johansson For: Adam Henrique Adam Larsson Joseph Blandisi 2 second-round picks 2 third-round picks

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Doubt Santini is sent down. He's playing like a beast. I absolutely love him by the way. Huge piece for us going forward with this team, not only this year. 

Big Santini fan, as well.

• Like 6

The difference to me between this trade and the Hall trade is that Henrique is going to a team that went to the Western Conference Finals last year and Taylor Hall went to the dumpster fire that was the Devils in 2016.  It'd be one thing if they traded Adam to Arizona, but he's going to a team in a playoff race.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The difference to me between this trade and the Hall trade is that Henrique is going to a team that went to the Western Conference Finals last year and Taylor Hall went to the dumpster fire that was the Devils in 2016.  It'd be one thing if they traded Adam to Arizona, but he's going to a team in a playoff race.

Good and valid point.

8 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Yeah, that obviously eases the pain a bit. But Adam Henrique was always a fantastic team-first kind of guy who the fans adored. Now that the team is competing for a playoff spot for the first time since he was a rookie, it's sad to see him go. 

Def gonna miss Rico, what a great guy and teammate. But were moving on and hopefully Sami V will sure up our D woes. All the best to Rico.

Looks to me, in the near Future Hallsy is going to being wearing the "C"

Edited by Gunslinger27

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah sweet lol hard not to give him credit here 

Sure, but in fairness, just about every time someone (quite often Devils fans) was suggesting a trade to bolster the D, Henrique's name was the first to come up...mostly because he was just good enough that you could see a package with him as a part of it possibly netting a good return, but just ordinary enough that you didn't suggest other names ahead of his when you started throwing out "Let's trade THIS guy" scenarios...because deep down you knew you wouldn't miss him as much as you would others.

In a way that's what makes the rush of sentimentality a little ironic...there was definitely a part of me that wouldn't have minded seeing Henrique stick around because it is kind of cool when a player who suffered through some lean years on a poor team suddenly gets a shot with his franchise looking like they're going to be competitive for a while, but I've read so many potential posts that basically said "Henrique for..."  in recent seasons...it's a little surprising that now that it's happened, there's so much sadness about Rico leaving. 

And I'm not saying Henrique wasn't a good team guy or a good person or anything like that...but he signed his six-year deal $24 million after the truncated 2013 season, with just 141 NHL games (regular season and playoffs combined) under his belt...the Devils were pretty good to him, because that was a pretty strong show of faith on their part towards a player who hadn't amassed much of a track record to that point...and at the time he signed it, the Devils clearly didn't think they were going to be stuck in an extended playoff drought.  I know some fans want to give Henrique props for not complaining and being a team guy as the suckage mounted, but at the same time, I think he would've come off looking pretty bad if he did bitch.  I think the toughest thing for him had to be being asked to do more than he was capable...that was definitely never his fault.    

I'm going to go full Sterio with a relationship analogy ;):

It's almost like we were in a long-term relationship that had a couple of really awesome moments, but most of the time, it was just OK, often just kind of there, and more and more we were wondering if there might be something better...but now that we've broken up in trying to find that, we're blowing up the old relationship to be more than it ever really was.   

• Like 1

Heh- I was going to write make a topic about Santini and the need to cut his minutes. 

On Henrique- Gonna miss the person, but not the player all that much.  Obviously he scored some of the biggest goals in franchise history and that speaks for itself. However, he would disappear for weeks at a time. With Zacha, Quenneville, Johansson here and ready for extended roles, the writing was on the wall. Always appreciated how much he seemed to embrace and enjoy NJ. 

But boy did NJ really need to bolster the d corps. Vatanen is pretty solid both ways, is excellent on the pp and can pk. Where he will probably help the most is transitioning play from defense to offense. Aside from Severson and sometimes Moore, no one could really do this from the backend. Gimme a LD better than Greene in the offseason and we will be in business. Especially if it means we can rid ourselves of Moore. As of now, I'd like to see:

Greene-Vatanen

Moore-Severson

Butcher-Santini

Give the top 4 the harder minutes and give Butcher-Santini slightly harder minutes than Butcher has been playing and we'll be in business

Love Adam for what he did in the past but I'm sick of missing the playoffs and I feel like this only will boost our chances of making the playoffs this year. I know, rebuild, work in progress, blah blah blah, I don't care. Just get in and you never know what could happen especially if Cory gets on a crazy roll and Hall goes nuts in his first playoffs. Just keep winning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I will say this; I'd trade Henrique-Larsson for Hall-Vatanen 150 times out of 100.

Bingo.

I love how everyone says that Henrique was clutch in the playoffs for the Devils.

It was ONE freaking playoff year. If the Devils made it more and Adam was clutch all the time (or most of the time), then say something.

Otherwise having top pairing Dmen in today's NHL are like seeing Godzilla (just doesn't happen).

We all should be thrilled about getting a top 4 defenseman and lessoning the load for Severson and Santini on the right side. We should be thrilled.

• Like 1