Devils aquire Sami Vatanen for Henrique + Blandisi + '18 3rd

SterioDesign

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Love Adam for what he did in the past but I'm sick of missing the playoffs and I feel like this only will boost our chances of making the playoffs this year. I know, rebuild, work in progress, blah blah blah, I don't care. Just get in and you never know what could happen especially if Cory gets on a crazy roll and Hall goes nuts in his first playoffs. Just keep winning. 

One good thing is that this is not some rental deal.  Devils have him under control for two more years after this one at not-stupid coin, and it looks like Vatanen has a very good chance to help improve the D.  It's a right-now and in-years-to-come deal, and it makes nothing but sense.  

• Like 1

Thank you for everything Henrique, but this trade makes too much sense. 

No idea if Shero waited for last night's event before pulling the trigger but super classy move if he did. 

I hope Henrique has a little magic in the playoffs for the Ducks. He deserves to be there again

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 3

Just now, devlman said:

Great trade. Will miss him but Rico disappeared too often in recent years and this season. Sami is a solid defenseman, which we desperately needed. Only confusion is what this means for Butcher on the PP.

Butcher and Vatanen top point men. Problem solved.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So is Prout put on waivers and Quenneville called up?

As of right now - Devils don't have to make any move.

Johannson comes in for vacated Palmieri roster spot.

Vatenen for Henrique's roster spot.

2 of 8 d sit and one of hayes/noeson sits.

bringing up quennville (don't know if he's recovered from injury) just to sit in press box doesn't make much sense. i know the whole "scratch 2 d" isn't great but you're not killing either prout or lovejoy's development by sitting them for extended periods of time. they are what they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sundstrom said:

bringing up quennville (don't know if he's recovered from injury) just to sit in press box doesn't make much sense. i know the whole "scratch 2 d" isn't great but you're not killing either prout or lovejoy's development by sitting them for extended periods of time. they are what they are.

and e dont even HAVE to sit #12 anymore! crazy!

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sure, but in fairness, just about every time someone (quite often Devils fans) was suggesting a trade to bolster the D, Henrique's name was the first to come up...mostly because he was just good enough that you could see a package with him as a part of it possibly netting a good return, but just ordinary enough that you didn't suggest other names ahead of his when you started throwing out "Let's trade THIS guy" scenarios...because deep down you knew you wouldn't miss him as much as you would others.

In a way that's what makes the rush of sentimentality a little ironic...there was definitely a part of me that wouldn't have minded seeing Henrique stick around because it is kind of cool when a player who suffered through some lean years on a poor team suddenly gets a shot with his franchise looking like they're going to be competitive for a while, but I've read so many potential posts that basically said "Henrique for..."  in recent seasons...it's a little surprising that now that it's happened, there's so much sadness about Rico leaving. 

And I'm not saying Henrique wasn't a good team guy or a good person or anything like that...but he signed his six-year deal $24 million after the truncated 2013 season, with just 141 NHL games (regular season and playoffs combined) under his belt...the Devils were pretty good to him, because that was a pretty strong show of faith on their part towards a player who hadn't amassed much of a track record to that point...and at the time he signed it, the Devils clearly didn't think they were going to be stuck in an extended playoff drought.  I know some fans want to give Henrique props for not complaining and being a team guy as the suckage mounted, but at the same time, I think he would've come off looking pretty bad if he did bitch.  I think the toughest thing for him had to be being asked to do more than he was capable...that was definitely never his fault.    

I'm going to go full Sterio with a relationship analogy ;):

It's almost like we were in a long-term relationship that had a couple of really awesome moments, but most of the time, it was just OK, often just kind of there, and more and more we were wondering if there might be something better...but now that we've broken up in trying to find that, we're blowing up the old relationship to be more than it ever really was.   

EXACTLY. Now here is a man with a head on his shoulders.  Getting down to business...

40 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Bingo.

I love how everyone says that Henrique was clutch in the playoffs for the Devils.

It was ONE freaking playoff year. If the Devils made it more and Adam was clutch all the time (or most of the time), then say something.

Otherwise having top pairing Dmen in today's NHL are like seeing Godzilla (just doesn't happen).

We all should be thrilled about getting a top 4 defenseman and lessoning the load for Severson and Santini on the right side. We should be thrilled.

There we go...now we are talking...

I'm not surprised people around the NHL think that Anaheim got the better of this deal because Henrique has scored 30 goals and he's been on some bad Devils teams.  Plus they got Blandisi and a 3rd out of it.  But Vatanen being signed for exactly 3 years is great for the Devils, Henrique's overrated - he can score, but he doesn't do much else that great (same is true of Vatanen to be fair) - and I think it's a fair deal.  I think my initial reaction on Twitter when I said 'I hate it' is because it's a fair deal, and one has dreams of turning Henrique into something better instead of something different.

For the record, I like the deal. Henrique has become expendable (that's just the reality of it, I am sorry to those of you in love with his looks) and we clearly need support and an upgrade on the blue line.  We got that here.  Very comfortable with the move and comfortable with Shero calling the shots.  I trust him.

Just now, Derlique said:

One last note - Henrique became expandable the last season or two. He was always suited for heavy systems employed by DeBoer, Sutter and Carlyle.

Think Vatanen will flourish in our uptempo offense,  as well

Def, I think our system here in Jersey, is a perfect fit for Sami's game. Good move indeed by Shero........ 

21 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I'm not surprised people around the NHL think that Anaheim got the better of this deal because Henrique has scored 30 goals and he's been on some bad Devils teams.  Plus they got Blandisi and a 3rd out of it.  But Vatanen being signed for exactly 3 years is great for the Devils, Henrique's overrated - he can score, but he doesn't do much else that great (same is true of Vatanen to be fair) - and I think it's a fair deal.  I think my initial reaction on Twitter when I said 'I hate it' is because it's a fair deal, and one has dreams of turning Henrique into something better instead of something different.

Most think NJ won't the trade

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

I don't like Vatanen, it's true, but I've done a little more thinking about this move and I'm coming around.  Santini is getting absolutely destroyed out there - Vatanen has to be able to reduce his minutes if they plan on playing him on the right side (which they certainly should).  One thing that I rarely know is what side people play on in other cities - Vatanen is listed as an LD on Capfriendly and I don't know if that means anything, but if he's been playing over there (Anaheim has Montour, Bieksa, and Manson as RHD as well as Vatanen) that'll ding his numbers significantly.

They're back to having 8 D so I wonder if they plan on scratching Butcher now that they have a power play guy in Vatanen.  This deal gives them 5 RHD on the roster so I'm gonna say that's not great.  They'll have to shrug off a D somewhere whether it's Prout being waived or something else, I imagine.

Man I hate to see RICO go, esp. after iconic moments in DEVS history... but the rumors were abound that he was going to be moved by the deadline. Plus no more Gerardo's """""RICO SAUVE music vid posts after his scoring, bummer.

a little FYI, I was a RS-RD and loved playing LD more and more, especially on the PP, which resulted in record scoring success.  I finally convinced the team mgnt to put me there, which worked out so well defensively, made it permanent.  Flexibility... you never know until you see the results. Mobility and planned positional exchanges are warranted in the new NHL speed league, which leads to better success..  long gone is the old 100% orange cone at the point defenseman.

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

so i like Vatanen.

Mostly played 2nd pairing with Cam Fowler averaging about 21min of ice time per game.

"Owns excellent offensive ability, solid puck-moving skills and plenty of hockey sense. Is capable of running a power play and also owns a very accurate point shot."

Vatanen after coming back from his injury at the end of Oct, had been relegated to the 3rd pairing, but his minutes increased with games played and of course Duck forwards being injured you need the add scoring from the backend. Vat's averaging about 25 minutes over the past 5 games.

This was the Ducks  starting lineup when VAT returned from injury:

Hampus Lindholm-Josh Manson

Francois Beauchemin-Brandon Montour

Jaycob Megna-Sami Vatanen

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't forget that Carlson could be out there as a UFA this offseason. 

If Prout's days as a Devil weren't already numbered, yeah, they sure are now...especially since Lovejoy hasn't been too bad. 

BINGO! I was very impressed with  Carlson in a post game interview where he projected their game plan on stopping the red hot DEVS, of course, they played it to perfection and dominantly won at the ROCK earlier this season. Everything he said the CAPS were going to do to neutralizes the DEVS  worked-out for the victory.

It should be a top priority for a big 6'3" - 25 min/gm  Dman, hopefully we can get him in the off season if he sticks it out to next summer.

They had vatanen on hockey central today, he was at the airport (presumably flying to Denver). He said the right things but obviously there wasn't any enthusiasm in his tone. I hope he enjoys it here, on and off the ice. 

Rico hosted his Movember event in Hoboken last night and they covered in on NHL Network this morning. Sad to see the highlights of that event with him having played his last game here. 

• Like 1