GDT: New Jersey @ Colorado 9pm

Derlique

39 minutes ago, nessus said:

I missed this game, but was happy to see the Devils kept the MacKinnon line off the board. Looks like Vatanen got a lot of ice time, which is almost surprising, considering he didn't have a practice with the team yet. How did he look last night?

Also, what is going on with Zacha? Very little ice time again last night, despite being on a line with Zajac and Johansson. Was he benched late in the game?

Vatanen played nice. Nice passes to start the attack. I thought Zacha disn’t play badly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Re: Parise, not even I expected that contract to look THIS bad this early on. He has seven more years after this one, at a 7.5m cap hit and he had 42 points last year across 69 GP. I do not foresee a deep playoff run anywhere in Minnesota's near future.

I never bought that NJ made a matching offer, that sounded more like a narrative to quell the fans' upset at the time. I think we probably made a serious offer, but thank god Minnesota was absolutely irrelevant at the time and needed to do whatever it could to draw stars to the Wild.

Parise lived in the corners and in front of the net and a large part of his game was based on winning puck battles and keeping possession against players who are bigger and stronger.  It takes a toll.  I'm not surprised at all that he's been hurt a fair amount in Minnesota, and injuries usually lead to reduced ability.

43 minutes ago, nessus said:

I missed this game, but was happy to see the Devils kept the MacKinnon line off the board. Looks like Vatanen got a lot of ice time, which is almost surprising, considering he didn't have a practice with the team yet. How did he look last night?

Also, what is going on with Zacha? Very little ice time again last night, despite being on a line with Zajac and Johansson. Was he benched late in the game?

Zacha was switched off that line for Noesen in the 2nd period.

• Like 4

One thing I loved hearing during the game last night: "That's the first faceoff lost by 'x'" when it was in the second period. If memory serves correctly, we only lost one draw, maybe two, in the first period, and it took Coleman and Boyle until at least half of the game to lose their first draws.

Oh and we scored on the PP, which is nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Parise lived in the corners and in front of the net and a large part of his game was based on winning puck battles and keeping possession against players who are bigger and stronger.  It takes a toll.  I'm not surprised at all that he's been hurt a fair amount in Minnesota, and injuries usually lead to reduced ability.

I definitely recall you or JMac here talking about this when Parise left.  You guys pretty much called how awful this contract would look in just a few years and... well, here we are. Stung at the time, but thank goodness we're not stuck with him (and Suter).

4 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

zacha seems to get gassed really quickly, he leaved each shift barely getting of the ice.. im starting to think its an issue and hynes needs to let him catch his breath.. plus he still looks uncomfortable away from the puck

I wouldn't say I'm "worried" about Zacha, considering he's still so young, but I definitely think we're starting to see that his ceiling might not be as high as we all once thought and hoped.

Has all the physical tools you could possibly want but the smarts don't seem to always be there.

4 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

zacha seems to get gassed really quickly, he leaved each shift barely getting of the ice.. im starting to think its an issue and hynes needs to let him catch his breath.. plus he still looks uncomfortable away from the puck

I feel strongly that it's an identity issue with Zacha. This was a guy on Sarnia who, despite being a physical guy, would carry the puck and drive the play often. There were signs in the OHL that he wasn't exactly going to light it up in the NHL and NHL players certainly close a lot faster and hit a lot harder than in the OHL and the Czech pro league. But the Zacha on the sting and the Zacha on the Devils are completely different players to me.

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

I feel strongly that it's an identity issue with Zacha. This was a guy on Sarnia who, despite being a physical guy, would carry the puck and drive the play often. There were signs in the OHL that he wasn't exactly going to light it up in the NHL and NHL players certainly close a lot faster and hit a lot harder than in the OHL and the Czech pro league. But the Zacha on the sting and the Zacha on the Devils are completely different players to me.

weve been stung by sarnia before, :(

7 hours ago, mikepeluso8 said:

I don't "conveniently ignore" anything...I am just providing the numerical evidence.

Awesome, you posted two sets of numbers in a vacuum, with no context at all.  Lundqvist had to go on a serious surge just to get to .917...back in his prime, he's flirting with the .930s overall when he's on a roll.  Lundqvist is 35, Schneider is 31, and Lundqvist has played a ton more games than Schneider...and so far this season is playing a lot more games than was likely planned.  Lundqvist has also showed signs of decline the past two seasons...Schneider obviously wasn't his best for a large stretch of last season, but at his age I'm not worried.  Yes, their numbers happen to be similar at the moment, which I guess is supposed to be your point?  Let's see where they are by the end of the season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I didn't ignore your post, but read my first post to you. I wasn't really endorsing the OP's specific fear of the Rags catching the Devils. I'm just acknowledging that I see they're piling up win after win. I don't really know how long it can continue for and I'm not making any argument as to such but they're getting good play from a lot of their players right now. They have the fourth best GF/G (3.53) in the league from the time period starting Nov. 1st. Possession hasn't been as great but it hasn't been for the Devils either.

I know you didn't, I just made back to back posts and wanted you to read them both.  Yes, they have been winning a lot lately after a bad start, we can all see that, but I've tried to provide context as to why the circumstances have been extremely favorable to the Rangers.  Getting 18 out of your first 26 games in your building is a nice boost.  Now not only is that now over with, but they will have to worry about Lundqvist wearing down as the season goes on.  

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Awesome, you posted two sets of numbers in a vacuum, with no context at all.  Lundqvist had to go on a serious surge just to get to .917...back in his prime, he's flirting with the .930s overall when he's on a roll.  Lundqvist is 35, Schneider is 31, and Lundqvist has played a ton more games than Schneider...and so far this season is playing a lot more games than was likely planned.  Lundqvist has also showed signs of decline the past two seasons...Schneider obviously wasn't his best for a large stretch of last season, but at his age I'm not worried.  Yes, their numbers happen to be similar at the moment, which I guess is supposed to be your point?  Let's see where they are by the end of the season.

Let's 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know you didn't, I just made back to back posts and wanted you to read them both.  Yes, they have been winning a lot lately after a bad start, we can all see that, but I've tried to provide context as to why the circumstances have been extremely favorable to the Rangers.  Getting 18 out of your first 26 games in your building is a nice boost.  Now not only is that now over with, but they will have to worry about Lundqvist wearing down as the season goes on.  

Agreed. All valid points for sure.