This Law Professor Should Be In Charge of All Universities

Daniel

This is a pretty amazing piece by a law professor I've never heard of, who teaches at a law school I've never heard of.  I'd like to see if there's a way to clone him and so he can give this lesson to all high school seniors, or at least all college students.

http://newbostonpost.com/2017/11/09/undoing-the-dis-education-of-millennials/

I'll quote the introduction.

I teach in a law school. For several years now my students have been mostly Millennials. Contrary to stereotype, I have found that the vast majority of them want to learn. But true to stereotype, I increasingly find that most of them cannot think, don’t know very much, and are enslaved to their appetites and feelings. Their minds are held hostage in a prison fashioned by elite culture and their undergraduate professors.

They cannot learn until their minds are freed from that prison. This year in my Foundations of Law course for first-year law students, I found my students especially impervious to the ancient wisdom of foundational texts, such as Plato’s Crito and the Code of Hammurabi. Many of them were quick to dismiss unfamiliar ideas as “classist” and “racist,” and thus unable to engage with those ideas on the merits. So, a couple of weeks into the semester, I decided to lay down some ground rules. I gave them these rules just before beginning our annual unit on legal reasoning.

Here is the speech I gave them.

You can read the whole thing, but here are his three rules that would be good additions to the Constitution, perhaps as preconditions for being able to vote.

1.  The only “ism” I ever want to come out your mouth is a syllogism. If I catch you using an “ism” or its analogous “ist” — racist, classist, etc. — then you will not be permitted to continue speaking until you have first identified which “ism” you are guilty of at that very moment. You are not allowed to fault others for being biased or privileged until you have first identified and examined your own biases and privileges.

2.  If I catch you this semester using the words “fair,” “diversity,” or “equality,” or a variation on those terms, and you do not stop immediately to explain what you mean, you will lose your privilege to express any further opinions in class until you first demonstrate that you understand three things about the view that you are criticizing.

3.  If you ever begin a statement with the words “I feel,” before continuing you must cluck like a chicken or make some other suitable animal sound.

I read about this 1-2 weeks ago.  Good for the professor but watch as word is now out and his class sizes will start to shrink as the millennials will stay away. 

I actually think rule #3 will be the one that will be easy for them to follow, but rules 1 and 2 will be extremely difficult for many of them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.