NFL Week 14

'7'

Atlanta hanging in there but Matt Ryan sloppy as hell. A Sanchezian 3 interceptions on his last 4 passes.

Overall this game has some intrigue at least and looks like a Sunday game rather than a typical Thursday night snoozer debacle.

Kamara out with a concussion.

Falcons won, the NFC race is tight.  Man it's like night and day comparing the free-for-all in the NFC (Eagles, Rams, Vikings, Saints/Panthers/Falcons, Seattle, maybe Green Bay if they hang in enough for Rodgers to make a difference) and the 1.5 team race in the AFC.

The Browns have already fired and hired a GM within a calendar day.  In other words the sun rose and set.  And Goodell got his contract extension, so guess Jerry lost that war :P

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Falcons won, the NFC race is tight.  Man it's like night and day comparing the free-for-all in the NFC (Eagles, Rams, Vikings, Saints/Panthers/Falcons, Seattle, maybe Green Bay if they hang in enough for Rodgers to make a difference) and the 1.5 team race in the AFC.

The Browns have already fired and hired a GM within a calendar day.  In other words the sun rose and set.  And Goodell got his contract extension, so guess Jerry lost that war :P

And somehow Hue Jackson survives. 1-27 as Browns coach. 2-31 if you count the end of his Raiders tenure. I have no clue what they see in him but this is one of the worst coaching runs in NFL history. I mean this is hard to do if you TRIED.

Kotite finished his NFL career 4-35. That's the worst I've ever seen up until now.

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well, the owners had their chance to get the ball rolling on finding a competent commissioner, and they instead chose the path of least resistance and went with status quo, and are paying Goodell a fortune to stick around.  They can't ever bitch about him again, and that idiot will give them more reasons to in time. 

Another Thursday night game that was good, yet wasn't...if last night's game was a movie, it'd be Roadhouse.  Just bad enough to be kind of good I guess?  But this is what happens when you have a commish that's more concern with oversaturating the sport than the actual QUALITY of the sport.  Players don't like Thursday night games, and fans notice the dropoff in quality on Thursday...but nope, Roger's smarter than everyone, so we'll keep getting a full slate of sloppy TNF.  Awesome. 

7 hours ago, '7' said:

And somehow Hue Jackson survives. 1-27 as Browns coach. 2-31 if you count the end of his Raiders tenure. I have no clue what they see in him but this is one of the worst coaching runs in NFL history. I mean this is hard to do if you TRIED.

Kotite finished his NFL career 4-35. That's the worst I've ever seen up until now.

Hard to blame a coach when your GM passes up on Wentz, Goff, Waston, Trubinsky, Mahomes, Prescott, Brissett and a cast of others to get Cody Kessler and that awful Keizer....

2 hours ago, CRASHER said:

Hard to blame a coach when your GM passes up on Wentz, Goff, Waston, Trubinsky, Mahomes, Prescott, Brissett and a cast of others to get Cody Kessler and that awful Keizer....

The Browns front office people that were fired were really into analytics.  Like really into it.  I imagine that they got it in their heads that either having a good quarterback is overrated or that finding a good one in the draft comes down to luck. Apparently just last week the GM said that he was happy with the team's current QBs, leading one to believe that they again wouldn't draft one this year.  They also apparently didn't even make an effort to trade for Garropollo when Hue Jackson was begging them to try. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well, the owners had their chance to get the ball rolling on finding a competent commissioner, and they instead chose the path of least resistance and went with status quo, and are paying Goodell a fortune to stick around.  They can't ever bitch about him again, and that idiot will give them more reasons to in time. 

Another Thursday night game that was good, yet wasn't...if last night's game was a movie, it'd be Roadhouse.  Just bad enough to be kind of good I guess?  But this is what happens when you have a commish that's more concern with oversaturating the sport than the actual QUALITY of the sport.  Players don't like Thursday night games, and fans notice the dropoff in quality on Thursday...but nope, Roger's smarter than everyone, so we'll keep getting a full slate of sloppy TNF.  Awesome. 

I remember seeing a poll somewhere stating Goodells approval rating was like 12% among fans. I think at this point he's probably just as unpopular as Bettman was at his lowest point (if not more), difference is the NFL is a much more high profile league. Bettman actually had supporters among NHL fans. Goodell is pretty much universally hated it seems  

These owners just don't get out in front of things anymore. They're old, insulated, out of touch. 

I'm curious if there is some sort of contingency plan if ratings/revenue/attendance continues to plummet next year. They have committed quite a bit to Goodell now. Not sure where this overwhelming confidence in him turning things around stems from, but they continue to soldier on with beleaguered Rog

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

I remember seeing a poll somewhere stating Goodells approval rating was like 12% among fans. I think at this point he's probably just as unpopular as Bettman was at his lowest point (if not more), difference is the NFL is a much more high profile league. Bettman actually had supporters among NHL fans. Goodell is pretty much universally hated it seems  

These owners just don't get out in front of things anymore. They're old, insulated, out of touch. 

I'm curious if there is some sort of contingency plan if ratings/revenue/attendance continues to plummet next year. They have committed quite a bit to Goodell now. Not sure where this overwhelming confidence in him turning things around stems from, but they continue to soldier on with beleaguered Rog

A lot of the owners might be old fuddy duddies, but they aren't stupid, and can't not be aware of the fact that the fans and the press do not like Goodell.  So they must have had a good reason to give him that much money.  I imagine it's a combination of things, but the main one is how much he's beaten up the PA in CBA negotiations.  Think about it this way, football is still far and away the most popular sport in the country and its players get beaten up and have very short careers.  Yet somehow the average player salary in the NFL is probably on par with the NHL.  Not only that, their salaries aren't even guaranteed, which is different than every other sport.  If you have a commissioner that can pull that one off, you keep him around.

Also, the low public opinion of him probably helps the owners by deflecting any criticism of them. 

The only thing they're probably upset about is that he botched the national anthem thing, but when you think about it, there was little he could do about that except perhaps to have had the foresight to put something in the CBA that players had to stand in a dignified manner.  But again, no one was really thinking about that at the time.

Right Roger...TNF is really a good thing for your league:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/brees-rips-thursday-night-football-after-injury-riddled-loss/ar-BBGnErp?ocid=iehp

But it's OK, what does anybody other than you know?  Funny, I don't see any other commissioners inspiring clown-face parody T-shirts.

Re-read this genius...it still very much applies to TNF:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/roger-goodell-thursday-night-footballs-quality-good-games

32 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Right Roger...TNF is really a good thing for your league:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/brees-rips-thursday-night-football-after-injury-riddled-loss/ar-BBGnErp?ocid=iehp

But it's OK, what does anybody other than you know?  Funny, I don't see any other commissioners inspiring clown-face parody T-shirts.

Re-read this genius...it still very much applies to TNF:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/01/roger-goodell-thursday-night-footballs-quality-good-games

And at the next CBA negotiations when the PA says they don't want anymore Thursday games, Roger says fine, lets just cut the share of the revenue the players are going to get, and maybe give me even more authority to arbitrarily dish out punishment for domestic violence than I already have (you guys aren't saying you should be able to beat your wives are you?).  Don't like it Drew (who I assume is going to be an NHLPA rep), go ask one of your teammates who's making near the league minimum, who doesn't expect to have a long career, and may have lot in child support payments how he feels about missing several paychecks.    

Maybe it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to negotiate like this, much less one that's going to get paid $50 million a year, but the job does require someone with brass balls. 

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Change 'likely' to 'is'. Just give the trophy to the Pats and let's get on to next year. It'll be another nightmare ending to a sh!tty NFL season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000891467/article/carson-wentz-suffered-torn-acl-in-win-over-rams

Lol, watch the Dolphins run the table and win the Super Bowl in the season I swore off football.  

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

There's a better chance of the sun exploding tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When anyone says something cannot happen, just look at the guy who’s President.  It almost defied the laws of physics.  

So either the sun is going to explode and we’re all dead, or we’ll see our Super Bowl champion Miami Dolphins led by Brandon Doughty.  

• Like 1