GDT: Devils @ Rags - 12/9, 7pm

devlman

4 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

you seem to indicate these are mutually exclusive, they are not.. getting to the puck and blocking your man off, chipping the puck out etc etc HORRIBLE

That's all system and coaching.  You're right that it's not mutually exclusive, but the coaching staff believes in this "keep everything to the outside" system where they never want to engage along the boards or at the points.

4 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

That's all system and coaching.  You're right that it's not mutually exclusive, but the coaching staff believes in this "keep everything to the outside" system where they never want to engage along the boards or at the points.

If you dont move your feet, its not coaching, its effort/heart and there is at least one guy on that defensive core that is refusing to do that first part and the bastard has a C on his chest.

Thats what is absolutely pissing me off about Greene, its not the lapses or blunder, its his freaking effort and how he's bringing down his partners. Severson had to out hustle Greene a handful of times last night cause he knew his partner was not going to try or get there. He's letting the game come to him and that is a big damn problem.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

If you dont move your feet, its not coaching, its effort/heart and there is at least one guy on that defensive core that is refusing to do that first part and the bastard has a C on his chest.

Thats what is absolutely pissing me off about Greene, its not the lapses or blunder, its his freaking effort and how he's bringing down his partners. Severson had to out hustle Greene a handful of times last night cause he knew his partner was not going to try or get there. He's letting the game come to him and that is a big damn problem.

I don't think Andy Greene suddenly just got lazy. I think it's far more likely that he's getting old and the years are catching up to his body. He could be feeling the effects of years of hockey. These guys play hurt and are beat up all the time. Severson would know if his partner is having trouble and may compensate accordingly

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

delete, probably misunderstood post

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I don't think Andy Greene suddenly just got lazy. I think it's far more likely that he's getting old and the years are catching up to his body. He could be feeling the effects of years of hockey. These guys play hurt and are beat up all the time. Severson would know if his partner is having trouble and may compensate accordingly

Fair point

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

The more I've watched him lately, the more it seems to me he's playing injured. I've seen him be tentative to use his body a few times out there, or use his arms/slow down before making a hit. Maybe he's just worn out but I think there's a chance he nursing an injury. 

13 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He's gotta be playing beat up/hurt.  I just can't imagine his game would drop off a cliff like this if he was 100% healthy.

I don't envy Hynes here with the captaincy.. it's gotta be taken away sooner or later.  I can't imagine he's still playing here regularly two seasons from now..

23 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

The more I've watched him lately, the more it seems to me he's playing injured. I've seen him be tentative to use his body a few times out there, or use his arms/slow down before making a hit. Maybe he's just worn out but I think there's a chance he nursing an injury. 

Also just like any athlete a lot is happening in your mind. He use to do well/decent in a very very slow and systematic system that didn't allow a lot of creativity. Now it's very very fast and he certainly knows that he can keep up and that he has to. Then he also knows that he sucks right now, so he's likely trying to simplify things but he's also overthinking a lot. Feeling overwhelmed is bad in sports and it can fvck you up good.

he may just be injured / not 100% or age is catching up

On 2017-12-10 at 1:00 PM, EdgeControl said:

Hey, we are here thick and thin! no fair weathers on this board.. what did you do to the real sterio??? LMAO

oh trust me i'm the real sterio lol Without getting into it, everything i've ever been negative about were all things that were going to hurt the team in the long run. It was easy to live with those bad decisions when the team was winning but once the success went away it was terrible cause all we were left with was the mess of all those years of sacrificing the future. Now at least everything is looking bright ahead and all the decisions taken are taken for the future. No more bandaid solutions and all that baggage. 

It's a new era. We have a new identity, the fans and players are allowed to have fun, we don't have bankruptcy floating about our heads, the fanbase will likely grow through all the efforts the owners are putting into marketing, we have marketable players, we have a team that free agents would consider etc etc We may not have the success just yet but everything is (or seem) positive going forward. Not saying im necessarily expecting a cup but as a fan you want to have fun and be entertained watching your team and we'll get that.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

He's gotta be playing beat up/hurt.  I just can't imagine his game would drop off a cliff like this if he was 100% healthy.

I don't envy Hynes here with the captaincy.. it's gotta be taken away sooner or later.  I can't imagine he's still playing here regularly two seasons from now..

His game was already dropping the last 2 years, it's just that no one noticed because all sorts of other things were going wrong.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't dislike the new owners like some do but I really haven't seen a huge push in marketing. Their social media has changed a lot since Lou left but it hasn't equated to people in seats. 

Well what i mean is that fans can have interactions with the players more now, they can go see practice, the team is young and fun. good young players that are fun to watch. 

If you're a kid from that area and you're about to "pick" your team. Those are all little things that may make a difference. 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:38 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hall wearing that C next season. The articles him and Shero before the season makes it sound like he is going to be looked at as a leader as they move forward. Especially with Henrique now gone. 

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well what i mean is that fans can have interactions with the players more now, they can go see practice, the team is young and fun. good young players that are fun to watch. 

If you're a kid from that area and you're about to "pick" your team. Those are all little things that may make a difference. 

Honestly, around the northern NJ metro area, who the father roots for has way more influence over who the kid will choose as his favorite team than anything else.  I know tons of kids that are 10 and under who play hockey with my sons that root for the Rags and Flyers because of their fathers.  The Devils will never convert those people into fans.  It's the families that are new to hockey that they need to go after, and their grassroots efforts, although they have gotten better over the past few years, pale in comparison to the Rags.

Honestly, to grow this fan base, the best thing is for the team to be successful on the ice and have some marketable stars. I play men's league with guys between 22-35 who grew up during the golden years of Devils hockey and, proportionally, there seem to be way more Devils fans that live here in this generation than mine before it or the kids coming up now.  I know it's a small sample size, but it's indicative of how things go around here especially since the Rags have the bright lights bringing the average NJ jabroni in to their fold because, well, NY brah!

Edited by Chuck the Duck

On 12/11/2017 at 3:38 PM, Devilsfan118 said:

Starting two years ago he couldn't move the puck anymore.

4 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Honestly, around the northern NJ metro area, who the father roots for has way more influence over who the kid will choose as his favorite team than anything else.  I know tons of kids that are 10 and under who play hockey with my sons that root for the Rags and Flyers because of their fathers.  The Devils will never convert those people into fans.  It's the families that are new to hockey that they need to go after, and their grassroots efforts, although they have gotten better over the past few years, pale in comparison to the Rags.

Honestly, to grow this fan base, the best thing is for the team to be successful on the ice and have some marketable stars. I play men's league with guys between 22-35 who grew up during the golden years of Devils hockey and, proportionally, there seem to be way more Devils fans that live here in this generation than mine before it or the kids coming up now.  I know it's a small sample size, but it's indicative of how things go around here especially since the Rags have the bright lights bringing the average NJ jabroni in to their fold because, well, NY brah!

Yeah obviously. 

Having marketable and succeed will help. I mean i grew up in Canada, far away from NJ and i'm a fan so you just need that... one thing that makes you pick that team, which could be anything. Some people will just pick a team for their logos, their colours, for one star player, cause one player is from their region, who won the cup at the right time etc etc many reasons to pick a team

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah obviously. 

Having marketable and succeed will help. I mean i grew up in Canada, far away from NJ and i'm a fan so you just need that... one thing that makes you pick that team, which could be anything. Some people will just pick a team for their logos, their colours, for one star player, cause one player is from their region, who won the cup at the right time etc etc many reasons to pick a team

For me it was the collection of future HoFers that first drew me towards the Devils. If they can amass another group like that that’d be great. :D

On December 12, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Chuck the Duck said:

Honestly, around the northern NJ metro area, who the father roots for has way more influence over who the kid will choose as his favoriteteam than anything else.  I know tons of kids that are 10 and under who play hockey with my sons that root for the Rags and Flyers because of their fathers.  The Devils will never convert those people into fans.  It's the families that are new to hockey that they need to go after, and their grassroots efforts, although they have gotten better over the past few years, pale in comparison to the Rags.

Loser fathers raising loser children. 

• Like 1