Anyone else miss the Meadowlands?

Since1982-83

I miss the location compared to the PC but as my brother said if I could transplant the arena itself I'd probably be the first one on the bulldozer to demolish the CAA.

What was everyone's last event at the CAA/Izod center before it closed? I went to WWE Extreme Rules to watch Daniel Bryan's first (and only) televised WWE defense with my friend. It was a good time.

Edited by roomtemp

I miss the location compared to the PC but as my brother said if I could transplant the arena itself I'd probably be the first one on the bulldozer to demolish the CAA.

What was everyone's last event at the CAA/Izod center before it closed? I went to WWE Extreme Rules to watch Daniel Bryan's first (and only) televised WWE defense with my friend. It was a good time.

I saw an Ozzy concert there back in 2010. Last time I set foot in the old barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I went to see Van Halen there in about 2009 or 2010 timeframe.  I also went to a graduation in 2011 and I believe that was the last time I was there.

I THINK I saw a Disney on Ice show there...not 100% because all of those things blend together and I definitely went to a number of them at the PC as well. 

2 hours ago, roomtemp said:

NIN in 2008 or 2009.

I went to a few events over the years after the Devils left but I think Imagine Dragons in 2014 was my last time there. Every time I went though it just made me think I wished the event was at the Prudential Center though. I really don't miss the place at all. The parking is even worse there now with that mess of a mall. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

My last time was at that Globetrotters game (and suffice to say that the days of Meadowlark and Curly are looooooong gone).  I found the place actually kind of depressing...especially with the then-abandoned (at the time) Xanadoodoo mess already showing signs of decay. 

I just flew over it from Florida a couple of days ago and suffice it to say that it's clearly getting that left-to-rot look.  Looks like the exterior hasn't been maintained at all. 

It was always well regarded among performers as a great concert venue in terms of acoustics. Bands liked playing there because of how well they sounded.

I really wish they would've put some thought and creativity in the interior design of the stands. Way too symmetrical and drab. Basically the most basic arena template (similar to Copps Coliseum and a few others from that era) No coziness to it. Though on the rare occasion we did put 19k in there it got loud

42 minutes ago, '7' said:

It was always well regarded among performers as a great concert venue in terms of acoustics. Bands liked playing there because of how well they sounded.

I really wish they would've put some thought and creativity in the interior design of the stands. Way too symmetrical and drab. Basically the most basic arena template (similar to Copps Coliseum and a few others from that era) No coziness to it. Though on the rare occasion we did put 19k in there it got loud

I have heard that for years too to the point where performers added dates at CAA just because they loved playing there due to the acoustics.  I think it is still being used these days as a rehearsal space for artists about to go on tour.  I know Roger Waters rehearsed there for a few days before going on his latest tour.

Not all servers were crouchs. We got a beer and polish sausage at the food by sec 215. Usually had some conversation with Camille there. Ran into her selling food at Giants Stadium. The crews became bitter when Lou took over operations of the Nets, he took away the free tix.

Edited by point
Misspelling

3 minutes ago, point said:

Not all servers were crouchs. We got a beer and polish sausage at the food by sec 215. Usually had some conversation with Camille there. Ran into her selling food at Giants Stadium. The crews became bitter when Lou took over operations of the Nets, he took away the free tix.

Not all, but most.  The final seasons were the worst. 

Re:  Lou, heh heh, kinda sounds like something he'd do. 

• Like 1

Love the responses and various points of view on this thread.

Maybe it's me? But I have always had more trouble getting to PC after coming to New Jersey from the New York side by car.

For those in the know, if you are crossing the GW and coming into New Jersey, what would you prescribe as the best and fastest route to The Rock?

49 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not all, but most.  The final seasons were the worst. 

Re:  Lou, heh heh, kinda sounds like something he'd do. 

I think someone posted an interview here a few years back where someone asked Holik how he was treated on the Devils versus by the Rangers.  Holik said that when he joined the Rangers he asked them if he could get a few pieces of swag to give to his family and a day or two later the Rangers sent him boxes of stuff free of charge.  However, when he was on the Devils and asked for swag for his family to wear the Devils basically said "sure, what is your credit card number?"

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think someone posted an interview here a few years back where someone asked Holik how he was treated on the Devils versus by the Rangers.  Holik said that when he joined the Rangers he asked them if he could get a few pieces of swag to give to his family and a day or two later the Rangers sent him boxes of stuff free of charge.  However, when he was on the Devils and asked for swag for his family to wear the Devils basically said "sure, what is your credit card number?"

Swag?

Anyway, I remember reading an article at how blown away Holik was during the Rags courtship of him when they gave him a glass apple from Tiffany's during a visit

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

Swag?

Anyway, I remember reading an article at how blown away Holik was during the Rags courtship of him when they gave him a glass apple from Tiffany's during a visit

products given away free, typically for promotional purposes.

"local studios provide swag, spirits, and food"

39 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Can't say I'm shocked that Holik was a cheap skate. With that ridiculous contract he could easily have afforded to buy some.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

products given away free, typically for promotional purposes.

"local studios provide swag, spirits, and food"

Merchandise basically.

That Holik story, while funny, does annoy me a bit in that the Devils could've still been the Devils and had the enormous success that they did, and also went the extra mile to make sure stuff with their logo on it gets out everywhere. 

Charging players for team merchandise? Pathetic. How about give the guy enough stuff so that he's giving it away to his friends of friends kids 6th grade class. Anything to raise the profile of the brand

14 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Can't say I'm shocked that Holik was a cheap skate. With that ridiculous contract he could easily have afforded to buy some.

You could also say the reverse in that the Devils could have afforded to give him some as well.  I don't think a few jerseys, shirts, hats, etc would have put the Devils in any financial peril.

It's those little things that players sometimes talk to each other out and could sway UFA from either coming and going to your team, especially when UFA have similar offers from various teams.  It doesn't help when all the player has heard about the team is that the GM treats their activities like a state secret and are misers when it comes to treating their players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You could also say the reverse in that the Devils could have afforded to give him some as well.  I don't think a few jerseys, shirts, hats, etc would have put the Devils in any financial peril.

It's those little things that players sometimes talk to each other out and could sway UFA from either coming and going to your team, especially when UFA have similar offers from various teams.  It doesn't help when all the player has heard about the team is that the GM treats their activities like a state secret and are misers when it comes to treating their players.

I don't disagree, I just don't like the guy, he became dead to me when he went to the Rangers and I hated when we brought him back. I still loved when 2 guys in his first preseason game back at the Meadowlands dumped bags of fake money on him. 

Talking about this stuff makes me happy that we shouldn't see guys being brought back on a regular like Lou loved to do. I never wanted Gomez back either. 

Re swag:

The IRS wants tax on this stuff. They got into it about 10-15 years ago when players in major sports were reselling comped tix. Even WS rings get added to the recipient's W2. I've seen this. How the Rags treat this for prospective players is another issue, since he wasn't an employee at the time. 

3 hours ago, point said:

Re swag:

The IRS wants tax on this stuff. They got into it about 10-15 years ago when players in major sports were reselling comped tix. Even WS rings get added to the recipient's W2. I've seen this. How the Rags treat this for prospective players is another issue, since he wasn't an employee at the time. 

You are looking way too far into this.  Holik just wanted some stuff for his kids to wear, not comped tickets to play amateur broker.

He also asked for it after he signed with the Rangers.

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

On the plus side he got 2 complimentary Stanley cup rings with the Devils but none with the Rangers

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Now I have to tell my Holik story again. 

Back in the day I worked in the Short Hills Mall, and we got Devils players pretty often. I waited on Brodeur, Daneyko, Gomez, etc. One regular customer was Bobby Holik. 

He had just gone free agent, and rumor had him going to the Rangers. So I say to him, I understand this is your chance to sign a contract for a ton of money, I understand if you have to leave. But don’t sign with the Rangers. If you sign with the Rangers, you aren’t allowed back in the store. He laughed, I laughed, my manager who was also a big hockey fan laughed. 

Of course, we know what happened. Fast forward to the Fall, and who comes back into my store, Bobby Holik. So what do I do? I tell him he has to leave. He starts laughing. I told him I wasn’t kidding. My manager was confused. I refused to wait on him. My manager, of course, already knew I was nuts. Now Bobby knew it too. 

End result is, my manager waited on him, and I stayed in the stockroom until he left. Then I called my manager a traitor for waiting in a Ranger.

I never saw Bobby again after that, but he continued to shop there. 

• Like 3