GDT - Devils vs Kings 12/12/17

NJDfan1711

I'm starting this thread a day and a half early because reading and posting in the other threads is just pissing me off.  I want to put this past weekend behind us and forget about the last two games.  Terrible losses to teams we needed/wanted to beat, but oh well, let's forget about it and move on.  We need to focus on getting some Ws more consistently.  I feel like this team knows it can compete, but they lack confidence to do it on a game by game basis.  I think this team needs a solid 4-5 game win streak to gain some momentum and realize that they haven't yet met their potential.  

Usually I'd be inclined to say that thankfully we're at home tomorrow, but we haven't played particularly well at home this season.  What do we need to do to get the victory tomorrow?  Is it as obvious as sitting Lovejoy, and possibly Greene?  How do we feel about Zacha after a game back in the lineup?  I'd like to see him keep playing.  I also want to see Santini back in.  I feel like he has taken some undeserved criticism so year this season.  I'm sure Greene won't be benched by Hynes, but I do agree, as poorly as he's played, and not exactly inspiring this team as a Captain should, he should do the right thing and sit out a game.  It would show a lot on his part, holding himself accountable, and taking a game to reflect on his level of play lately which has left a lot to be desired.  

Anyway, let's get the discussion started as we look ahead to tomorrow.  Good things on the horizon!

LGDs  I want sami with Severson  thats our No 1 pairing short term future, something is off w greene, hes not digging out pucks like he used to and that was his game.. lovejoy greene, butcher moore  BIG MINS for our first, keep them off the kill

Pavel is in for good now, unless he does something OFF THE ICE to change that

Stafford should be back in for his last hurrah

get the PP working

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

LGDs  I want sami with Severson  thats our No 1 pairing short term future, something is off w greene, hes not digging out pucks like he used to and that was his game.. lovejoy greene, butcher moore  BIG MINS for our first, keep them off the kill

Pavel is in for good now, unless he does something OFF THE ICE to change that

Stafford should be back in for his last hurrah

get the PP working

I agree about Greene. Reminds me of how Sal was playing at the end only to find out he was having some major health issues. I hope that isn't the case, but man has his play been brutal at times this year. 

The weird thing about Stafford is he gets himself in scoring position and gets decent chances. Over the last 10 games I would save he has been straight up robbed a couple times, and other times the puck just won't settle down for him. It's like he is in a perfect storm of not being able to produce and no puck luck at the same time.

I'd definitely rather see Hayes sit, but that might be difficult as he has played decently lately offensively. He is hard to watch in our own zone though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'm starting this thread a day and a half early because reading and posting in the other threads is just pissing me off.  I want to put this past weekend behind us and forget about the last two games.  Terrible losses to teams we needed/wanted to beat, but oh well, let's forget about it and move on.  We need to focus on getting some Ws more consistently.  I feel like this team knows it can compete, but they lack confidence to do it on a game by game basis.  I think this team needs a solid 4-5 game win streak to gain some momentum and realize that they haven't yet met their potential.  

Usually I'd be inclined to say that thankfully we're at home tomorrow, but we haven't played particularly well at home this season.  What do we need to do to get the victory tomorrow?  Is it as obvious as sitting Lovejoy, and possibly Greene?  How do we feel about Zacha after a game back in the lineup?  I'd like to see him keep playing.  I also want to see Santini back in.  I feel like he has taken some undeserved criticism so year this season.  I'm sure Greene won't be benched by Hynes, but I do agree, as poorly as he's played, and not exactly inspiring this team as a Captain should, he should do the right thing and sit out a game.  It would show a lot on his part, holding himself accountable, and taking a game to reflect on his level of play lately which has left a lot to be desired.  

Anyway, let's get the discussion started as we look ahead to tomorrow.  Good things on the horizon!

Devils are 7-7-4 in their last 18...and have been about as up-and-down as that record would suggest.  I think they'll be better than that over the rest of the season, but I'm not sure by how much...the young guys are starting to look more like young guys (the talent is there but the consistency isn't), and unfortunately guys like Andy Greene can't be fixed.

Even if they finish with "only" 90 points or so, this season will represent serious progress, especially compared to last year.  

LGD!

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils are 7-7-4 in their last 18...and have been about as up-and-down as that record would suggest.  I think they'll be better than that over the rest of the season, but I'm not sure by how much...the young guys are starting to look more like young guys (the talent is there but the consistency isn't), and unfortunately guys like Andy Greene can't be fixed.

Even if they finish with "only" 90 points or so, this season will represent serious progress, especially compared to last year.  

LGD!

100% agreed.  With a little puck luck here and there, we could finish with ~95 points and be looking at a possible playoff berth, which would be tremendous for the players, and of course us as fans, but you're right - the silver lining will definitely be that they've clearly made strides in the right direction.

This is where you get back on track.  A red hot team coming in and the Devils being called out by their coach.  To me, the calling out and the hard practice shows a major difference in this team and what is expected from this year's group.  Hell, last year, Shero publicly called his team out after 7 straight disgraceful losses   So after 2 straight, and really aside from a big win and performance in Columbus, the stretch of hockey since the Florida game has been not all that ..inspiring.  Nip it in the bud and get back to being a hard team to play against, play with an identity, and clean up the awful giveaways.  This team still has the fewest regulation losses in their division.

Let's get a big start to a hopefully good stretch of home games heading to the holiday break.

God, we've played quite the murderer's row of opponents. 4 games in a row (2x CBJ, NYR, LAK) against the hottest teams in hockey. Hope they can pull this one out.

Wondering if MoJo's ever going to be healthy? Getting frustrated with him; he's either injured or invisible. I heard Palms took morning skate this morning, that's a good sign. 

I'm getting frustrated with Johansson as well. Dude has been made of glass. I try to be tolerant of injuries because they're part of the game, but I lose my patience when the same player gets hurt over and over (same with Palms this year). It's extremely frustrating that we haven't had a fully health forward corps all year because those two keep getting hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

fvcking great.  

So I'm assuming the lines will look something like this?

Hall - Hischier - Bratt

Gibbons - Zajac -  Stafford

Coleman - Zacha - Noesen

Wood - Boyle - Hayes

Also, any update on Mueller?  Obviously we're still kinda getting used to Vatanen in the lineup and mixing with the guys, but just curious since he's been out for a while now and I'd really like to see what he can do again.  I was fairly impressed and happy with his play before he got hurt.

Just now, CommonDreads said:

Wow, I wasn't too far off, but really surprised they put Wood on the second line.  I actually like him on the 4th, since he's got so much speed, and the guys he usually goes up against on other teams 4th lines aren't typically speedsters, which gives him a bit of an advantage.  

fvcking great.  
So I'm assuming the lines will look something like this?
Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Gibbons - Zajac -  Stafford
Coleman - Zacha - Noesen
Wood - Boyle - Hayes

Something like that. And with that group, I'm assuming the final score will be something like 5-1 LA. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, any update on Mueller?  Obviously we're still kinda getting used to Vatanen in the lineup and mixing with the guys, but just curious since he's been out for a while now and I'd really like to see what he can do again.  I was fairly impressed and happy with his play before he got hurt.

He had surgery on November 16th, and I think average recovery time for a fractured clavicle is about 8-10 weeks, so I'd expect to hear more about him in about a month