GDT - Devils vs Kings 12/12/17

NJDfan1711

Outstanding game to respond to the stretch of play that was going on.  Hopefully, Taylor Hall news isn't awful.  But whatever it is the team is still getting Palms back shortly and Johannson back.  2 top 6 forwards coming back.  So this team will have added weaponry.  They can weather whatever the news is about Hall.

This is how you keep things from going sideways.  Take ownership of lousy play, and do something about it and not let it snowball.  But again the challenge comes around similar to last week.  Continue this type of hard play after a big win.  Not just 1 period next game. Keep your down stretches to a minimum.  I believe this team is maturing enough to realize this.  And it's in a good position to take advantage of a home heavy schedule till the Year's end.  Pavel Zacha can be a difference maker.  His opportunity is here. 

However the news about Hall comes out, the team still has to play competitive and hard.  The D still has to make good exits and the other forwards still have to do their thing.  I think this year's team is up to these challenges.  

• Like 2

Fingers crossed that Taylor will be OK...because that looked bad, even though he was able to take a few more shifts.

Obviously a big-time game-changer if he's seriously hurt...I don't know how the Devils get by without him AND Palms AND MoJo out of the lineup.  Just hope that team morale doesn't take huge nosedive.  But not much point in going heavily into what-if scenarios until we get a firm update.

With a healthy Taylor, last night shows why the team shouldn't collapse...they can score (they've quietly scored 14 goals in their last four games), and Cory has a .925 save% over his last 15 GP (.920 on the season)...unfortunately, if KK continues to be as meh as he's been lately (.880 save% in his last 7), the Devils may have to ride Cory a lot more than they want to.

Also, hopefully this puts to bed the myth (believed by some) that KK can be any team's #1 goalie in the NHL.  At his best, he's a pretty good backup. 

• Like 4

I have a feeling Hall is gonna miss a few days, him coming back for a few shifts after the hit reminds me of a knee injury I had last year. Hyperextended my knee in a hockey game, was able to finish the game with some minor pain but then later in the night it really tightened up and I couldn't put much weight on it. Kept me out of commission for a few days before I could see a doctor and he diagnosed it as patellofemoral pain syndrome, nothing as serious as an ACL injury. Just took a bit of time with physical therapy and a knee brace as treatment, I think Hallsy is gonna be fine with the kind of medical care they have, me not seeing a doctor for a while definitely made it worse than it needed to be.

What a great game to watch. Have Quick on my fantasy team, but I'll gladly take that loss to see the boys pot 5 on him.

Hope it's nothing serious with Hall and just precautionary.

Am I the only one that gets nervous every time Severson has the puck in our D-zone? He seems to find multiple ways to give the puck back to the other team.

The issue with him "taking a few shifts after" is some of the major knee injuries in sports history came when someone did something and then "took a few shifts" after the initial injury...see: Carson Wentz on Sunday in LA.  That gives me no hope that this is going to get better...I am preparing for the worst.

And if this guy is out for a while, we all know what that is going to look like...he is the heart, soul and engine of this team who is the spark plug to this entire offense.  WOW.  This is bad.

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

It's obviously terrible if he's out, but maybe wait for some news from Hynes before throwing yourself down a flight of stairs. There's no news before the noon practice because they probably haven't gotten the results from the MRI yet. I'm not a doctor, but it didn't look like an ACL.

If I had to guess, it's a bad bruise and he's out a few weeks like Palmieri. If it's something like an ACL tear, this team won't be remotely competitive. 

Too late.  Just peeling myself up off the flight of stairs.  Mark my words: this is bad.

The issue with him "taking a few shifts after" is some of the major knee injuries in sports history came when someone did something and then "took a few shifts" after the initial injury...see: Carson Wentz on Sunday in LA.  That gives me no hope that this is going to get better...I am preparing for the worst.
And if this guy is out for a while, we all know what that is going to look like...he is the heart, soul and engine of this team who is the spark plug to this entire offense.  WOW.  This is bad.

Dude... Get a grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

If Hall's out for a while, it might be karma striking back at me for taking pleasure in watching Eagles fans melt down following Went'z injury.

Sorry guys, my bad.

My son owns two jerseys.   Carson Wentz and Taylor Hall.    I'm really hoping this isn't some horrific cosmic connection.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Well, by far the best game of the season against the hottest team in hockey. Impressive stuff.

1. Nico does so many smart things with the puck, but you can see the opponents' gameplan is starting to get to him. It looks like coaches are telling their guys to be overly physical with Nico early in the game, and that makes him a little gunshy. Tough to blame him, he's a twig teenager going against world-class athletes. Scary to think of how good he can be once he adds some size.

2. Taylor Hall is just unbelievable. If he's seriously injured.. you know.

3. Pavel Zacha has a great game going until this one shift, I think it was mid third. He tried like, four? maybe five? behind the back no-look passes that went to absolutely nobody. Super frustrating and super perplexing. One of the passes came when he was by himself in the D zone, and lead to some sustained pressure from LA. I guess we're spoiled by watching Nico and Bratt play with the hockey IQ of a vet, because I constantly have to remind myself that Zacha still isn't old enough to buy a beer.

4. I thought that was Vatanen's best game, which isn't saying much. He'll find his place eventually, the talent looks like it's there. Waiting to see more of those patented rushes from him.

I was at the game last night and I thought he was kind of meh.  With the puck he was pretty good, but without the puck I was less thrilled.  There was a shift he had in the second period where most of the play was in our end and while the other 4 Devils skaters were working their asses off, Zacha was coasting out there like he couldn't give less of a sh!t.

wow, we dont even get 1 min to enjoy this big win.. if hallsy doesnt go to Quebec and we lose to the habs its another up and down episode with this team.. and just as we are getting palms back, dam it  ....we need to get a streak going

Hall was amazing, everyone forechecked, fricken boyle keeps doing his thing!! Sami is our new greene

Santini still looks scary out there, they definitely want zacha skating the puck in, outside of the PP goal he hant done much with it. 1 shot, stafford 1 shot

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

the Devils may have to ride Cory a lot more than they want to.

This.  I would play Schneider every game until the break.   The schedule sets up well for that.  This week is the only back to back.  And beyond that, coming off Xmas things set up into January as well.  January is really a light month.  

26 minutes ago, Jersey Sure said:

This.  I would play Schneider every game until the break.   The schedule sets up well for that.  This week is the only back to back.  And beyond that, coming off Xmas things set up into January as well.  January is really a light month.  

I detailed this a while back, but the rest of this month and January are going to be the Devils' best chance to try to give themselves a cushion for a playoff berth.  If they're right on the cusp of a WC spot at the start of February, I don't think they get in.  February and March/April are very tough.  Not much rest and some tough stretches (including a 6-game road trip).  Guys like Nico, Bratt, and Butcher might be on fumes come March.