Taylor Hall Questions

EdgeControl

2 hours ago, sundstrom said:

can only negotiate and sign within last year of current deal. that is not until the END of next year that you can even start.

But Ray can at least let Taylor know they want to re-sign him before then right? Just no official negotiations?

I’d probably give him 8 years at age 30. He’ll probably slow down as he gets older but he’s got a lot of skill that shouldn’t just go away. 

Edited by Jerzey

6 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

But Ray can at least let Taylor know they want to re-sign him before then right? Just no official negotiations?

I’d probably give him 8 years at age 30. He’ll probably slow down as he gets older but he’s got a lot of skill that shouldn’t just go away

thats the $36 mil question.. his game is based on speed.. half of that contract could hurt BAD

NJ can extend him on July 1 2019 (Day 1 of last season of his contract).

I think so, if the team is any good.

I think so, yes. 

I hope so. 

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

is there any precedence to an early re-negotiation, is it legal under the CBA?

Does he want to stay?

will we want to give him an 8 year deal in 2 years when hes 30ish?

will our defense be fixed in 2 years?

8 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I think so, yes.    the buy out rules help this

I hope so.          I dont see this, which affects question 2   

would you give sens your first round pick butcher and zacha for karlsson?

23 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:
36 minutes ago, Marshall said:

I think so, yes.    the buy out rules help this

I hope so.          I dont see this, which affects question 2   

would you give sens your first round pick butcher and zacha for karlsson?

IMO no. karlsson is now -16 has 1 pt. in last bunch of games. That's why Sent asked him for a list of teams he didn't want to go to. (as they did with a few other players). I know he'll come around, but hasn't been the same since last injury (ankle) Let's give it time before we give them the farm.

• Like 1

I wouldn't give Hall an 8yr deal at 30 years old.  For any amount of money.  I wouldn't give any player an 8 year deal at 30.  There's just too much of a drop-off in at that stage of your career and that point in life.  Even if he goes well into his 30s with no significant drop, and let's say before he started to decline somewhat rapidly it wasn't until 35-36ish, you're still left with 2-3 years where you're paying a guy a large amount of money that isn't delivering.  Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to stick to shorter term contracts 3-4 years, 5 at most.  Maybe 6 for one of your superstars.  Anything beyond that is too big of a risk in my opinion, and it puts the team in a bad and difficult spot.   

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I wouldn't give Hall an 8yr deal at 30 years old.  For any amount of money.  I wouldn't give any player an 8 year deal at 30.  There's just too much of a drop-off in at that stage of your career and that point in life.  Even if he goes well into his 30s with no significant drop, and let's say before he started to decline somewhat rapidly it wasn't until 35-36ish, you're still left with 2-3 years where you're paying a guy a large amount of money that isn't delivering.  Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer to stick to shorter term contracts 3-4 years, 5 at most.  Maybe 6 for one of your superstars.  Anything beyond that is too big of a risk in my opinion, and it puts the team in a bad and difficult spot.   

I'm all for being fiscally conservative with the cap and all, but....If you don't go 8 for these guys, they're not staying. If they're not staying you're never winning anything. And no guy you want in free agency is coming here if you offer 6, max. So you're gonna end up a franchise that's half-assing it and never seeing the competitive window open. Either be all in or all out, no half measures. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

I'm all for being fiscally conservative with the cap and all, but....If you don't go 8 for these guys, they're not staying. If they're not staying you're never winning anything. And no guy you want in free agency is coming here if you offer 6, max. So you're gonna end up a franchise that's half-assing it and never seeing the competitive window open. Either be all in or all out, no half measures. 

If it looks like the Devils are hitting 'win now' territory when the contract comes up I'd go 8 years to get it done and keep him. Yeah, the contract would probably be bad by the end but you have to make hay when the sun shines and may have to live with some tough contracts/years later on.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

An 8 year deal for Hall would end when he's 36.  I doubt his game ages terribly well, but yeah, the Devils have to take a chance.

Agreed. It’s irrelevant how he’ll play for the last 3-4 years of that contract. If you want him for the first 4-5, you hav3 to give him 8, or someone else will. Taylor is getting a 7-8 year deal without issue unless something catastrophic and career altering occurs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

An 8 year deal for Hall would end when he's 36.  I doubt his game ages terribly well, but yeah, the Devils have to take a chance.

The style of game Hall plays I think he'd last longer than 3rd/4th liners. We'll know how much to pay after next couple years 

I believe he seems pretty happy here, and sees the plan and direction we're heading in. We'll have the space. Shero is gonna give him the numbers he wants. Curious to see what kind of money he's gonna ask. I'm guessing around 8 per. I'd see an 64/8 contract. In my opinion he's gonna stay, but only time will tell. We have good players coming up, not too worried about our offense, but I firmly believe we have a good shot.

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

If it looks like the Devils are hitting 'win now' territory when the contract comes up I'd go 8 years to get it done and keep him. Yeah, the contract would probably be bad by the end but you have to make hay when the sun shines and may have to live with some tough contracts/years later on.

Yes, you'd hope by 19/20 or 20/21 they'd be a contender. And compared to the last competitive period for this franchise, you gotta understand the next one wont last 18 years. 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hall update: 

image.thumb.png.f7cff1717c6d6ddaf361fc04dcf1655e.png

That doesn't sound like something serious- sounds more like a day to day deal.

Good sign. That they're not sure he's not traveling vs. definitely not traveling with the team. If we have to scrape by the next two games on Thurs and Fri without him...fine we'll deal. Better than a 4-6 weeks thing. Praying it's not that.

• Like 2