Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kinkyisth3b3st

GDT: Ducks @ Devils: 12/18/2017 7:000PM

Recommended Posts

Good win and thank god they won after Henrique did that lob-play on Vatanen. The Henrique Truthers would've been unbearable.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I’m not saying I cried during his tribute video. But guys I fvcking cried during his tribute video.

Color me not surprised. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Not me. He’s not an All-time great Devil to me, he was here too short of a time and mostly while the team was awful. I suspect it’s a lot of younger guys in this board who have the Henrique love. 

Agreed. Or a few guys who don't get out of the house much.  Probably the 28 year old video game, comic con addict crowd.   A real sad bunch.  Where can I donate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

On par with the quality of the rest of your posts. You’re nothing if not consistent.

This guy is a board bully.  It's clear now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I’m sure he’ll get used to Southern California in no time...

Best thing I ever did.  NJ is nice...but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

This guy is a board bully.  It's clear now.

 

12 minutes ago, mikepeluso8 said:

Agreed. Or a few guys who don't get out of the house much.  Probably the 28 year old video game, comic con addict crowd.   A real sad bunch.  Where can I donate?

dont-know-if-irony-or-irony.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of feels like everyone got what they wanted from this game. Rico with the nice goal and getting a good reception/tribute, nice comeback win for the Devil's and Noesen with two against his old team. 

I was sceptical about Brian Boyle being picked up  , but he has been fantastic. Love what he brings to the team and his attitude. 

One of the less positive aspects of the season is Andy Greene, from the eye test he looks like he is close to being done. I am sure there are some guys on here with stats who might prove me wrong but he looks two steps slower. Maybe it's more noticeable because he has always been such a consistent performer, but he hasn't looked good this year. The amount of minutes he has eaten and games he has played is going to take its toll. 

I really hope Shero goes for Carlson in the off-season. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Kind of feels like everyone got what they wanted from this game. Rico with the nice goal and getting a good reception/tribute, nice comeback win for the Devil's and Noesen with two against his old team. 

I was sceptical about Brian Boyle being picked up  , but he has been fantastic. Love what he brings to the team and his attitude. 

One of the less positive aspects of the season is Andy Greene, from the eye test he looks like he is close to being done. I am sure there are some guys on here with stats who might prove me wrong but he looks two steps slower. Maybe it's more noticeable because he has always been such a consistent performer, but he hasn't looked good this year. The amount of minutes he has eaten and games he has played is going to take its toll. 

I really hope Shero goes for Carlson in the off-season. 

Greene does look less mobile from even last year. It is a hard league to 35 when the pace of the opponent is increasing by the year. 

The Rico tribute was one of the better done ones I have seen, it suited him well, captured cool moments and of course was capped by the goal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marshall said:

Good win and thank god they won after Henrique did that lob-play on Vatanen. The Henrique Truthers would've been unbearable.

You're not kidding.

Although I will always love Henrique there was something cathartic about Boyle completely outworking him at the blue line and stealing the puck to end the game after the way he dunked on Sami like that. That play was frustrating cause that whole PP unit was out there for a pretty long while and was gassed.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Although I will always love Henrique there was something cathartic about Boyle completely outworking him at the blue line and stealing the puck to end the game after the way he dunked on Sami like that. That play was frustrating cause that whole PP unit was out there for a pretty long while and was gassed.

And unfortunately the narrative is becoming "look how much harder Henrique works then Vats, Vats is slow, Vats is terrible at defense, etc".

Like peoole don't realize he was totally gassed and at the end of a long shift on the PP.

It's okay though, some people like to be miserable and that's fine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

And unfortunately the narrative is becoming "look how much harder Henrique works then Vats, Vats is slow, Vats is terrible at defense, etc".

Like peoole don't realize he was totally gassed and at the end of a long shift on the PP.

It's okay though, some people like to be miserable and that's fine. 

Yep. Oh well, we won, Henrique truthers got their moment and life goes on. Super glad Vatanen finally got rewarded with a point, nice to see two competent power play units again and should get even better Thursday with Mojo back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blown01NJ said:

I am 33 and I couldn’t possibly agree more. I had season tickets in 2012. It was amazing and Henrique was a huge part of it. 

Theres really no debating it. 

Yes, he was one of the best players on a team that overperformed in 2012 and then never saw the playoffs again. Some of you guys really have romanticized his time here. 

Again, I like Adam and he was a nice player to have. But cheering every time he touches the puck and crying at his highlight montage? Really?

 

8 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

On par with the quality of the rest of your posts. You’re nothing if not consistent.

And you as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Like peoole don't realize he was totally gassed and at the end of a long shift on the PP.

It's okay though, some people like to be miserable and that's fine. 

that was slow on slow. sami had zero ATP in his legs.. with fresh legs neither one is nhl fast, but Im putting my money on vat... btw if rico skated as hard for us this year as he did last night hed still be a devil LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marshall said:

Good win and thank god they won after Henrique did that lob-play on Vatanen. The Henrique Truthers would've been unbearable.

I have no issues with those who were really into Henrique, and some fans have their own reasons for embracing certain players that shouldn't be judged as right or wrong, but I'll readily admit that I'm surprised that some are making such a big deal out of him now...not like he was celebrated like this while he was here, and if anything, outside of some big moments, he endured his share of criticism...he was kind of up and down and in general wasn't much more than a decent player when on the ice.  It's all kind of odd...just feels like some are blowing his more positive attributes more and more out of proportion.  I'm not sure what I missed...I see a guy who had one very big signature moment (and maybe that's what's driving most of this to begin with), and in fairness it's one that will never die and will always be a fond part of Devils folklore. 

Of course there were some other memorable ones, but for the most part Henrique was a pretty nondescript player on some pretty bad teams, who happened to score 30 goals once (and followed that up with a very meh-ish kind of year), and who sometimes stood out mostly because there wasn't that much to stand out against.  Not to mention that it seemed like any time a trade proposal was brought up, the first name often suggested to go the other way (by FANS) was Adam's...partly because we knew that he'd have some value (fair value, reasonable contract), but also because we knew deep down that he was simply expendable...especially now...with a little searching, I can find posts from about a month ago that were calling for him to be scratched or demoted (obviously the demotion happened) if he didn't start producing soon...and if anything, those kinds of sentiments/lack of patience were a carryover from last season's nothing-special season from Henrique.  And it's not like the Devils have missed him and lost their way without him on the ice. 

Anyway, Tri summed up last night well in his post...there are games where you're down by 2 and it feels like 5, and then there are games like last night's.  It felt like the only way they Devils weren't going to come out of that game with at least a point was if Miller suddenly stood on his head, and it never felt like that was in the cards...Devils just kept coming and more and more it felt like they weren't going to be denied.  Anyway win-win...a nice moment for Henrique, but the Devils win the game. 

My dad watched the last half of the game with me (he just got into town) and though he doesn't watch a ton of hockey, he was very impressed with what he saw...like my wife, he was very amused by how young Hischier and Bratt looked...after Bratt scored, my dad got a good look at his face and said "Jesus Christ, how old is he?  TWELVE?!"  And there was a lot of "Who's that?  Who's that?  And who's that?  I don't know any of these guys!"  After the game ended, he asked "So what place are in they in now?"  I told him:  first in their division.  He looked almost stunned...haven't they been bad for years?  I smiled broadly and simply answered "Not anymore."

 

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

  I'm not sure what I missed...I see a guy who had one very big signature moment (and maybe that's what's driving most of this to begin with), and in fairness it's one that will never die and will always be a fond part of Devils folklore. 

Of course there were some other memorable ones, but for the most part Henrique was a pretty nondescript player on some pretty bad teams, who happened to score 30 goals once (and followed that up with a very meh-ish kind of year), and who sometimes stood out mostly because there wasn't that much to stand out against.  Not to mention that it seemed like any time a trade proposal was brought up, the first name often suggested to go the other way (by FANS) was Adam's...partly because we knew that he'd have some value (fair value, reasonable contract), but also because we knew deep down that he was simply expendable...especially now...with a little searching, I can find posts from about a month ago that were calling for him to be scratched or demoted (obviously the demotion happened) if he didn't start producing soon...and if anything, those kinds of sentiments/lack of patience were a carryover from last season's nothing-special season from Henrique.  And it's not like the Devils have missed him and lost their way without him on the ice. 

good summation , and this bold part was basically verified by the arrival of hall and the kids, as rico was pushed down on the lines and became somewhat invisible and expendable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Triumph said:

Huge win - down 3-1, never felt the team was fully done, and while Miller had a rough game - gave up at least 2 bad goals - the Devils continued to get chances.  

Please let this be Stafford's last game as a Devil.  If he's not scoring or even putting the puck on net when he has a chance to, what's he doing here?

It's crazy that Zajac is the Devils' worst forward by points/game so far this season.  He was one of the best last year.  They're getting more luck on the bottom lines but there's also more skill there, I think.  

Every time he has a scoring opportunity now, I expect absolutely nothing.  Which is all Stafford brings.  I get giving him a shot and based on what he did earlier I even get sticking with him for this long, but it's enough.  Just end this.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

trade stafford at deadline for a Zamboni spare water hose.. there might be a sucker who thinks he has 1 more goal in him.. lapin is better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yes, he was one of the best players on a team that overperformed in 2012 and then never saw the playoffs again. Some of you guys really have romanticized his time here. 

Again, I like Adam and he was a nice player to have. But cheering every time he touches the puck and crying at his highlight montage? Really?

Well, if you remember 2012 as a "team that overperformed in 2012 and never saw the playoffs again", we have a completely different way of thinking about that team and maybe nothing I post here will make a difference. That team got hot at the right time, as so many Cup winners do, but had some of the most electrifying players in Devils history all in their prime or just leaving their prime. 

There's nothing romanticized about that season, specifically his moments, and I guess it's surprising a Devils fan would say that. Double-OT Game-7 on the road is one thing. Getting that Philly monkey off our back (they mauled us the last playoff series we met). Overtime game-6 win at home, the single greatest sports moment of my life (I was 12 in 2003. It was awesome, but it meant nothing to me compared to 2012). 

And things went sour; Parise left, Kovy left, Marty fell off a cliff and Clarkson left. That doesn't tell me 2012 had over-performed. That tells me it was the last hurrah before the nucleus left us. And it fvcking was magical. 

Henrique himself is the only player I can remember that had a huge presence in social media. To some of you on here that doesn't mean much, [ad-lib old joke here]. But then, maybe you don't know how cool it feels to have your favorite player reply to you on Instagram or send you a message on twitter. He did that for thousands and thousands of fans that reached out to him. Have you ever seen his AMA on Reddit? Most hockey players come on and do it for 25 minutes with canned answers. He sat there for 5 HOURS, and then came back in the morning to answer more questions. 

And on so many terrible teams -- and they were terrible, terrible fvcking teams -- Rico would put a beauty of a backhander over the glove of the goalie and let Devils fans think "if there's a way out of this mess, he'll be a huge part of it". 

No, dude, I didn't actually cry. It was a joke, which I thought was made pretty obvious. But hell YEAH I got emotional at the video. That was my fvcking favorite player, who sat through miserable year after miserable year with this team and got shipped out the moment the ship was righted. Obviously I want Vatanen to dangle around Rico and score in game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Absolutely I want more success without him than we had with him. And maybe even I can separate my fanhood and I can see the value of the trade. But the amount of people calling it stupid that he was beloved is sad, to me. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

But then, maybe you don't know how cool it feels to have your favorite player reply to you on Instagram or send you a message on twitter.

He’s liked a couple of my posts during meet and greets and signings (latest one being the one for Movember). I always thought it was a nice gesture to reach out to fans the way he did

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Well, if you remember 2012 as a "team that overperformed in 2012 and never saw the playoffs again", we have a completely different way of thinking about that team and maybe nothing I post here will make a difference. That team got hot at the right time, as so many Cup winners do, but had some of the most electrifying players in Devils history all in their prime or just leaving their prime. 

There's nothing romanticized about that season, specifically his moments, and I guess it's surprising a Devils fan would say that. Double-OT Game-7 on the road is one thing. Getting that Philly monkey off our back (they mauled us the last playoff series we met). Overtime game-6 win at home, the single greatest sports moment of my life (I was 12 in 2003. It was awesome, but it meant nothing to me compared to 2012). 

And things went sour; Parise left, Kovy left, Marty fell off a cliff and Clarkson left. That doesn't tell me 2012 had over-performed. That tells me it was the last hurrah before the nucleus left us. And it fvcking was magical. 

Henrique himself is the only player I can remember that had a huge presence in social media. To some of you on here that doesn't mean much, [ad-lib old joke here]. But then, maybe you don't know how cool it feels to have your favorite player reply to you on Instagram or send you a message on twitter. He did that for thousands and thousands of fans that reached out to him. Have you ever seen his AMA on Reddit? Most hockey players come on and do it for 25 minutes with canned answers. He sat there for 5 HOURS, and then came back in the morning to answer more questions. 

And on so many terrible teams -- and they were terrible, terrible fvcking teams -- Rico would put a beauty of a backhander over the glove of the goalie and let Devils fans think "if there's a way out of this mess, he'll be a huge part of it". 

No, dude, I didn't actually cry. It was a joke, which I thought was made pretty obvious. But hell YEAH I got emotional at the video. That was my fvcking favorite player, who sat through miserable year after miserable year with this team and got shipped out the moment the ship was righted. Obviously I want Vatanen to dangle around Rico and score in game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Absolutely I want more success without him than we had with him. And maybe even I can separate my fanhood and I can see the value of the trade. But the amount of people calling it stupid that he was beloved is sad, to me. 

I think that's the thing.  A lot of fans felt more connected to Henrique because of his love for the Devils and the fans.  After Parise and Kovy left, we clung to a player that actually wanted to be here.  I am sad to see him go, as he was  real likeable player but understand that you need to give to get.  I think Vats has been fine, not great but not bad either.  I think he will start to pick it up too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Henrique himself is the only player I can remember that had a huge presence in social media. To some of you on here that doesn't mean much, [ad-lib old joke here]. But then, maybe you don't know how cool it feels to have your favorite player reply to you on Instagram or send you a message on twitter. He did that for thousands and thousands of fans that reached out to him. Have you ever seen his AMA on Reddit? Most hockey players come on and do it for 25 minutes with canned answers. He sat there for 5 HOURS, and then came back in the morning to answer more questions. 

 

But the amount of people calling it stupid that he was beloved is sad, to me. 

Yup, young people stuff, I was correct. Regarding the bolded part, I have no idea what that even means.  :)

I, for one, never said it was stupid for him to be beloved. You like who you like, that’s a personal thing for each person. I may not understand it, but ultimately, it’s not for me to understand. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

One of the less positive aspects of the season is Andy Greene, from the eye test he looks like he is close to being done. I am sure there are some guys on here with stats who might prove me wrong but he looks two steps slower. Maybe it's more noticeable because he has always been such a consistent performer, but he hasn't looked good this year. The amount of minutes he has eaten and games he has played is going to take its toll. 

No, they're pretty bleak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Well, if you remember 2012 as a "team that overperformed in 2012 and never saw the playoffs again", we have a completely different way of thinking about that team and maybe nothing I post here will make a difference. That team got hot at the right time, as so many Cup winners do, but had some of the most electrifying players in Devils history all in their prime or just leaving their prime. 

There's nothing romanticized about that season, specifically his moments, and I guess it's surprising a Devils fan would say that. Double-OT Game-7 on the road is one thing. Getting that Philly monkey off our back (they mauled us the last playoff series we met). Overtime game-6 win at home, the single greatest sports moment of my life (I was 12 in 2003. It was awesome, but it meant nothing to me compared to 2012). 

And things went sour; Parise left, Kovy left, Marty fell off a cliff and Clarkson left. That doesn't tell me 2012 had over-performed. That tells me it was the last hurrah before the nucleus left us. And it fvcking was magical. 

Henrique himself is the only player I can remember that had a huge presence in social media. To some of you on here that doesn't mean much, [ad-lib old joke here]. But then, maybe you don't know how cool it feels to have your favorite player reply to you on Instagram or send you a message on twitter. He did that for thousands and thousands of fans that reached out to him. Have you ever seen his AMA on Reddit? Most hockey players come on and do it for 25 minutes with canned answers. He sat there for 5 HOURS, and then came back in the morning to answer more questions. 

And on so many terrible teams -- and they were terrible, terrible fvcking teams -- Rico would put a beauty of a backhander over the glove of the goalie and let Devils fans think "if there's a way out of this mess, he'll be a huge part of it". 

No, dude, I didn't actually cry. It was a joke, which I thought was made pretty obvious. But hell YEAH I got emotional at the video. That was my fvcking favorite player, who sat through miserable year after miserable year with this team and got shipped out the moment the ship was righted. Obviously I want Vatanen to dangle around Rico and score in game 7 of the Stanley Cup. Absolutely I want more success without him than we had with him. And maybe even I can separate my fanhood and I can see the value of the trade. But the amount of people calling it stupid that he was beloved is sad, to me. 

It's funny, now that I read this, I realize that in some ways, Henrique was to his Devils what Chico was to his...the parallel eluded me until now.  Chico's situation was a little more hopeless in that his teams REALLY stood no chance, but he was great with the fans and was more accessible than many players, and in lean times, it's nice to have a guy like that.  I could totally see Chico having a big social media presence too, if he was playing in this era. 

I may not have the same soft spot that you have for Henrique (as I never interacted with him the way you did), but I can understand where you're coming from, because that's how I feel about Chico. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jersey Sure said:

So when Johansson is back would the lines be:

Hall-Nico-Bratt

Mojo-Zacha-Palms

Gibbons-Zajac-Coleman

Wood-Boyle- Noessen

This has me curious.  Zacha and Miles Wood actually, to me, work well together.  Wood has really improved his play, especially along the wall.  I wouldn't break up Zajac/Coleman/Gibbons.  That's a fit for Zajac.  And for how Hynes wants to deploy them, it makes sense.

Hall/Nico/Bratt/, the only concern there is physicality, which is what Palmieri brings when he gets his game legs back...and a booming shot.  Bratt is really a "Swedish Army Knife".  He can fit a lot of things.

I guess in the conventional thinking, Johannson, Palmieri, are legit top 6 players, so having Zacha center them makes sense.  If you look at it and say that's a 2nd line.  And Nico/Hall/Bratt, that's a 1st.  But this year there really is no 4th line so to speak.  And that's a big reason things are going along so swimmingly.  You're really not seeing forwards getting single digit minutes like traditional 4th liners.

Well, if nothing else, it's fun trying to puzzle this together.  And it will be interesting how Hynes shakes this out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×