Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MB3

GDT: Ducks @ Devils: 12/18/2017 7:000PM

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's funny, now that I read this, I realize that in some ways, Henrique was to his Devils what Chico was to his...the parallel eluded me until now.  Chico's situation was a little more hopeless in that his teams REALLY stood no chance, but he was great with the fans and was more accessible than many players, and in lean times, it's nice to have a guy like that.  I could totally see Chico having a big social media presence too, if he was playing in this era. 

I may not have the same soft spot that you have for Henrique (as I never interacted with him the way you did), but I can understand where you're coming from, because that's how I feel about Chico. 

Now imagine Chico made a diving save in the waning seconds of a SCF berth against the Rangers, and you can assuredly understand the love fans have for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, I can't wait to finally have our full team healthy for Thursday:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Coleman-Zajac-Palmieri

Wood-Zacha-Johansson

Gibbons-Boyle-Noesen

Butcher-Severson

Greene-Santini

Moore-Vatanen

YUMMM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Derlique said:

God, I can't wait to finally have our full team healthy for Thursday:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Coleman-Zajac-Palmieri

Wood-Zacha-Johansson

Gibbons-Boyle-Noesen

Butcher-Severson

Greene-Santini

Moore-Vatanen

YUMMM

That’s not a bad lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s not a bad lineup.

No, it's not. 

I think it's also time to talk about how much Miles Wood has improved and morphed into a legit top 9 forward. His shot rate has improved, his corsi was 42% last year; it's now 48% for the season. Let's not forget this guy was playing HS hockey 32 months ago. He may be a case where he consistently makes strides until his mid-late 20s. I am happy to be wrong about him because I had him pegged as a one-trick pony 4th liner. He is such a useful player. 

Looking forward to seeing Zacha continue to build off some solid games. He's looking confident these days, which means he's dangerous. The play he made on Wood's second goal was fantastic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Derlique said:

God, I can't wait to finally have our full team healthy for Thursday:

Hall-Hischier-Bratt

Coleman-Zajac-Palmieri

Wood-Zacha-Johansson

Gibbons-Boyle-Noesen

Butcher-Severson

Greene-Santini

Moore-Vatanen

YUMMM

Not even our full team; Mueller looked pretty great in his short time here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

Not even our full team; Mueller looked pretty great in his short time here.

True, but I'm not sure which LD is coming out for him. Greene isn't, Butcher has been a revelation and Moore is a favorite of the staff. I can maybe see him rotating with Santini, but of course, there is always the chance of injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will always appreciate Henrique but I am a fan of the Devils. I'll always be a fan of the Devils first. I don't agree with people cheering when he scored, though. We're a team that's fighting for first place in our division. We're not some 10-20-3 team with no reason to want to win, and that goal put us down 3-1. The ovation was great, but that goal pissed me off more than it made me happy for him... where the hell was that kind of determination when he was playing for us this season? Looks completely different.

Anyway, the 2012 team will always be special to me. I will always cherish those memories and I am super glad I own a road Henrique jersey with the SCF patch. The dude was one of the only guy's that made NJ "cool" over the past five years of being absolutely brutal. He's right about that 'ask me anything' on reddit, the guy was super engaging, even answered some ridiculous question of mine on there.

Still, for me the Devils always come before their individual players. Henrique was always a consistent if not streaky scorer who could shoot the puck. He'd be invisible for times and he'd be on fire others. He's also someone that has probably already reached their ceiling. So he stood out as being one of the only valuable pieces we had where we kinda already knew what he was. You don't want to be like the Capitals trading a prospect away before you know what you have a la Filip Forsberg. We have no idea how good Michael McLeod or Jesper Boqvist and the like are going to be. Winning the lotto changed everything. Not to mention it's almost as if we won the lotto twice with the emergence of Bratt. Henrique was getting pushed further and further down the lineup and it was smart to capitalize on the opportunity to get something of good value for him now while we can.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, considering that Henrique's goal made it 3-1 at that point, don't think that I would've cheered myself had I been there.  Maybe if Adam scores with a few minutes left in the game with the Devils up 5-1 I might've, but yeah, Devils first.   

It's funny, like I said, on one hand I get why someone like MITB feels strongly about Henrique, because he was someone who actually gave fans the time of day and a lot more...off the ice.  And pleasant interactions with a player can really add to how you feel about him...I'm especially fond of Chico and Merlin Malinowski for this reason.  On the ice, like Steven M alludes to, in spite of one very memorable moment, it didn't feel like the effort was always there with Henrique, and he was pretty good at best...but now he's being remembered more and more as a guy who gave it his all every second of every shift (and due to two big OT playoff goals is also seen as being uber-clutch), and I just don't think of him that way...not what I saw.  To me the guy that REALLY has a chance to become that kind of player in fans' memory banks is Palmieri...and that's a lot of the reason he's my current favorite Devil.   

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is entitled to derrive how they want to be a fan in their own way. The same way everyone is a fan of the team for their own reasons. It is not like sports is black and white... there is no "right or wrong". I'm always a Devils fan first, but if the names on the back mean more to some people than others then that is for each fan to decide. What's up with all the soapbox rants trying to claim moral high ground on others simply because they liked the guy more than you did?  

For me, the players are what gives the team its identity. Without character guys like Henrique we might as well root for the logo and just have any group of nameless faceless schmucks skating around every year. It wouldn't matter. If I want to stand up and clap for whatever reason for any player and you have an issue with it my response is simple... Go fvck yourself. I don't need any other fan's approval. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who wants to see Palmieri stay on the first line with Hall and Nico when Johannsson comes back?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Everyone is entitled to derrive how they want to be a fan in their own way. The same way everyone is a fan of the team for their own reasons. It is not like sports is black and white... there is no "right or wrong". I'm always a Devils fan first, but if the names on the back mean more to some people than others then that is for each fan to decide. What's up with all the soapbox rants trying to claim moral high ground on others simply because they liked the guy more than you did?  

For me, the players are what gives the team its identity. Without character guys like Henrique we might as well root for the logo and just have any group of nameless faceless schmucks skating around every year. It wouldn't matter. If I want to stand up and clap for whatever reason for any player and you have an issue with it my response is simple... Go fvck yourself. I don't need any other fan's approval. 

I see people with differing opinions discussing and disagreeing.  Not seeing all of these soapbox rants or anyone claiming moral high grounds...there's no "How dare you!"s here.  I'm definitely not calling anyone out for feeling how they do about Henrique.  If anything, I find this interesting because you see why certain players appeal to certain fans.  No one's asking for stamps of approval, nor is anyone offering any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Am I the only one who wants to see Palmieri stay on the first line with Hall and Nico when Johannsson comes back?

I do as well. I’m not sure having an 18 yo & 19 yo together on the top line is ideal. Palms evens it out better, IMO. 

Also, the Devils had a guy named Merlin?? That’s awesome. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I do as well. I’m not sure having an 18 yo & 19 yo together on the top line is ideal. Palms evens it out better, IMO. 

Also, the Devils had a guy named Merlin?? That’s awesome. :lol:

Yes they did...only played five games as a Devil though.  Most of his NHL games came with the Rockies.  He was traded from the Devils after those five games to Hartford, where he played so badly that he never got another chance to play in the NHL:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I see people with differing opinions discussing and disagreeing.  Not seeing all of these soapbox rants or anyone claiming moral high grounds...there's no "How dare you!"s here.  I'm definitely not calling anyone out for feeling how they do about Henrique.  If anything, I find this interesting because you see why certain players appeal to certain fans.  No one's asking for stamps of approval, nor is anyone offering any.

Yeah... not like I said I would get up and tell people cheering to shut the fvck up. That's stupid. Just discussing why I wouldn't unless, like you said, we were up 4-0 with 5 mins left and he scored or something. This was an important game we needed, no way I was cheering for that goal lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steven M. said:

I will always appreciate Henrique but I am a fan of the Devils. I'll always be a fan of the Devils first. I don't agree with people cheering when he scored, though. We're a team that's fighting for first place in our division. We're not some 10-20-3 team with no reason to want to win, and that goal put us down 3-1. The ovation was great, but that goal pissed me off more than it made me happy for him... where the hell was that kind of determination when he was playing for us this season? Looks completely different.

Anyway, the 2012 team will always be special to me. I will always cherish those memories and I am super glad I own a road Henrique jersey with the SCF patch. The dude was one of the only guy's that made NJ "cool" over the past five years of being absolutely brutal. He's right about that 'ask me anything' on reddit, the guy was super engaging, even answered some ridiculous question of mine on there.

Still, for me the Devils always come before their individual players. Henrique was always a consistent if not streaky scorer who could shoot the puck. He'd be invisible for times and he'd be on fire others. He's also someone that has probably already reached their ceiling. So he stood out as being one of the only valuable pieces we had where we kinda already knew what he was. You don't want to be like the Capitals trading a prospect away before you know what you have a la Filip Forsberg. We have no idea how good Michael McLeod or Jesper Boqvist and the like are going to be. Winning the lotto changed everything. Not to mention it's almost as if we won the lotto twice with the emergence of Bratt. Henrique was getting pushed further and further down the lineup and it was smart to capitalize on the opportunity to get something of good value for him now while we can.

If the market for D-men is Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, then Henrique for Vatanen is pretty good value.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pattyelias said:

If the market for D-men is Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson, then Henrique for Vatanen is pretty good value.

Agreed 1000%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I love Rico but cheer his goal? fvck that, it put them up 3-1 in the game and was a big momentum goal for Anaheim at the time. I was pissed. Just glad we came back and won so the goal didn't hurt us at all. Now if Rico scores tonight? Oh I'll cheer. Loudly lol.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Am I the only one who wants to see Palmieri stay on the first line with Hall and Nico when Johannsson comes back?

No, they've been very good together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I see people with differing opinions discussing and disagreeing.  Not seeing all of these soapbox rants or anyone claiming moral high grounds...there's no "How dare you!"s here.  I'm definitely not calling anyone out for feeling how they do about Henrique.  If anything, I find this interesting because you see why certain players appeal to certain fans.  No one's asking for stamps of approval, nor is anyone offering any.

You're right although there is someone (the usual unstable individual I think the board all knows) implying there's only one way to be a fan. Anyway, I think everyone regarded Henrique as a fan favorite. And to each his own to what degree you really care about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

That is F***ing awesome

DRYdCo7VAAAIxLr.jpg

 

If you look you can see exactly how awesome KK thinks he is for doing this, just from his facial expression. Classic. 

I wonder how Gionta feels about them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re Henrique: I didn't love him.  However I didn't hate him either like I did with other players over the past few years.  To me he is the face and symbol of the Devils second prolonged era of suckage.  He did give us an extremely important goal in 2012 (actually a couple really) and seemed like a nice guy off the ice, but I never saw him as this larger than life guy that many of our fans made him out to be.

When the tribute montage was playing last night all I could think of was saying to myself how most of those goals were inconsequential as the teams he played on sucked ass and didn't make the playoffs in 5 of the 6 seasons here.  I just don't place stock in a player being one of the best of the worst which is essentially what he was; one of the better players on a bad team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I love Rico but cheer his goal? fvck that, it put them up 3-1 in the game and was a big momentum goal for Anaheim at the time. I was pissed. Just glad we came back and won so the goal didn't hurt us at all. Now if Rico scores tonight? Oh I'll cheer. Loudly lol.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

maybe he'll score an OT winner. 'Henrique . . it's over!'

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.