GDT - Devils vs Rangers 12/21/17

NJDfan1711

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

Games like this make me believe.

Agreed.

Food for thought...Bryan Boyle is tied for 4th on this team in goals, having only played in 24 games. He’s got 15 points total.

When he was signed and Shero said he was his top priority free agent wise, I was like “really?”. Maybe he did know what he was doing. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Hey,

I made a comment that I thought was funny. To those of you who know me (both here and in person), you know it was said as an off-color joke.

Regardless, it clearly was in poor taste, and very clearly wasn’t funny. I lost my grandma a short while ago to cancer, you’d think I’d have more common sense. If I offended anyone, I really am sorry. Won’t happen again.

All good bro, if I had to count all the times in my life when I said, did, or thought something stupid...well.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

That Zucc chant had me seething, and I wasn’t even at the game. 

After we tied it, he had a shift where he turned it over a few times and got buried by one of our dmen. At every fvck up I was just screaming ZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC. fvck that guy.

This was easily the best win I've been to since coming back home in 2013, I have been a STH since then and I don't think anything matches this. I don't think at any point in the night I thought the Devils were going to lose this game. Not before or during. Not when they made it 2-1. Not even when they made it 3-2. Just felt like the whole way through that we would end up winning this. I love this team.

• Like 3

go back and look at that soft ass sh!t by Shattenkirk on Coleman's shorty. Man, I'm pretty glad we didn't break the bank on him. At least when our young guys fvck up we can chalk it up to their inexperience and count it as a learning opportunity. Pretty safe to say Shattenkirk doesn't really have much learning left to do.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

go back and look at that soft ass sh!t by Shattenkirk on Coleman's shorty. Man, I'm pretty glad we didn't break the bank on him. At least when our young guys fvck up we can chalk it up to their inexperience and count it as a learning opportunity. Pretty safe to say Shattenkirk doesn't really have much learning left to do.

Although I still hate Shatthead, I am glad he didn't sign with Jersey. If he does then Butcher doesn't sign with us (and for that matter probably signs with the Rangers). 

2 hours ago, Toasterleavins said:

This is awesome. This is our next captain. He'll be around folks. Shero will get it done no doubt in my mind, as he did with Palms, Severson, etc. But still 2 and a half years of him before worrying :D 

Also, seeing Schneider pumped after his save on Shattenkirk in the SO was great. 

I fvckING LOVE THIS TEAM 

• Like 3

Great win! Couldn't believe how awesome the top line was in this one. The last 3 or 4 minutes of the game I was screaming at the tv for Hynes to get them out there as much as possible. I also agree with a bunch of you who have already posted, seeing the emotion from Hall and Schneids made me believe in this group. Almost to the midway point of the season and sitting in first feels pretty good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just got myself a 2015-16 White Set 3 Palmieri game-worn, breaking it out for this game tonight.  Going with my best friend who is - eek! - a Ranger fan.  I want to be the one leaving the building with a great big grin on my face tonight!

LGD!

FTR!  (this one's easy to figure out)

Two assists and a shootout goal for Palms...behold the power of the game worn!

Great playoff-like atmosphere last night...the Ranger fans that I saw in attendance weren't nearly as dopey or annoying as they usually are, which was shocking.  My friend (who I can actually have intelligent hockey banter with) was very impressed with the Devils.  There were a few times that the Rags faithful tried to take over the building, but it never happened...a nice switch.   

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I wonder if any other teams' boards pick apart their #1 goalie as much as this one does.  Maybe in some odd way it's a compliment...that we think that Schneider is capable of such greatness that he's barely allowed to give up a goal without it being heavily dissected and criticized.  As far as last night's game goes, I don't know what he was supposed to do about goals #1 and #3...he made a flurry of saves before the first one, and the third one went in off Severson's skate.  I'm guessing if you could watch every team's #1 (those who have a clear #1, anyway) for a full season, Cory's body of work would rank in or very near the Top 5, factoring in everything.  It would also be nice if some could acknowledge that for every "stoppable" shot that goes in, Schneids makes a hell of a lot of tough saves too...he made a bunch last night.  One of those games where his save% didn't really tell the whole story. 

In some ways, last night felt like driving one more nail into the coffin lid of the "Old Devils".  Though the Devils have had some success against Lundqvist (two playoff series wins), we know he's often been tough on them.  In past years, the Devils somehow lose a game like last night's by a score of 4-1, with Lundqvist stopping every last thing, and all of us cursing the Devils' inability to finish.  Though I was very hopeful, when it was 3-2, part of me was thinking "Jesus, here we go again, somehow Lundqvist is going to steal a win, in fvcking regulation no less...dammit dammit double dammit!"  Was so great to not only see them tie it up, but to get the second point as well.  It was fun leaving the building and seeing Ranger fans kind of feeling lucky just to get a point at all.  Devils were really on them for most of the night, but the Rangers got just enough breaks to get something out of the game.

Brian Boyle with 8 goals and 5 assists in his last 14 games.  A big reason why we've barely noticed that Gibbons has only scored once in his last 11 GP.  Or that Nico hasn't scored a goal in 10 GP.  Love that this team has a way of continually getting goals from multiple sources...if Taylor ever finds just a little more finish (that's the only thing holding him back from a monster year)...

There's always that one player that a coach inexplicably seems to have a soft spot for, where that player gets chance after chance even though everyone watching hasn't slightest idea WHY...everyone knows which player that I'm talking about.  Maybe it's because he's getting his SOG and Hynes thinks it's only a matter of time before Stafford finally breaks through.  Maybe it's the fact that, from 2013-2016, Stafford averaged 20 goals per 82 GP (in 224 GP).  But Stafford doesn't have so much as a point in his last 16 games and you never feel like he's ever going to put one home...he has just 13 goals in his last 88 GP, dating back to the start of last season.  You can only pump the well so many times before realizing that there just isn't anything worth pumping for.  Just sit the damn guy already...with guys bound to get hurt, you can give him another shot down the road if you really have to, but for now, just end the misery. 

----------------------------------------------------

Lundqvist since 11/8:  .936 save%

Pavelec in the same period:  .941 save%

Anybody see those two keeping THAT up? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

I want to acknowledge two things on that goal:

1. Taylor Hall pass

2. Zajac standing around bewildered

I disagree with #2.

Zajac went to the boards behind the net to meet the Ranger,Smith, who had the puck. That forced Smith to play it off the boards in a hurry, turning it over to Hall, and Boyle was open in the slot. Zajac stayed where he was because that is where he would need to be to continue the cycle had Boyle not been open. Usually a player isn't open 99% of the time that close to the net in the low slot.

Zajac was right where he should have been, giving Hall a second option along the boards to make a safe play and try to continue the cycle. Credit goes to Hall for seeing that play develop and getting the puck to open ice in front of the net where Boyle could reach it.

Even though we just scraped away with a shootout win, I thought that was our best game of the season. Games like this really make me believe in this team, playing against our biggest rival who's on a serious roll for 1st place in the division, and we didn't play timid or scared at all. We pushed the play on those guys and we ran the tempo of that game from the opening puck drop. If not for the Rangers getting some lucky bounces and Lundqvist playing excellent, this could have absolutely been a 6-0 blitzing, keep playing like this and we're gonna go from being the East's cute success story to a scary contender in the eyes of many.

Hall showed why he's our next captain tonight, this is absolutely his team now. Is Hallsy a gritty, grind it out player? No, but he stepped up like a leader on that first goal and leveled Zuccarello to loosen the puck up for Moore to step into some open ice. You saw him all game pumping guys up on the bench, there was never a dull moment with him last night. He's our guy, this is his team now, and he seems to really love being a New Jersey Devil right now.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Also, fvck, I love Blake Coleman. What a great project he's been to get him to this point, he's such an effective 4th line player. Plays every shift with his heart on his sleeve.

Yep. He’s a keeper. Just needs to take less penalties. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He's reminding me more and more of Madden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 G and 3 A in his last 7 GP.  Nice to see him start getting rewarded...earlier on it felt like he should have more points than he did (2 G and 2 A in his first 27 GP this season). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2