NFL 2017 Offseason

NJDevs4978

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You'd think there's some type of Brady succession plan in the works, seeing as how Jimmy G is gone now. If the Pats draft a QB this year, the clock restarts- it's a young protege on a rookie contract for four years that sits and learns from one of the all-time greats to ever do it. Brady is not going to be the Patriot QB in four years, no matter what he says. Like I said, McDaniels very well may have not gotten written assurances, but if he didn't, he's dumber than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill seems like a vindictive miserable human who will burn it to the ground when he leaves to prove it was all him

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m almost positive there’s nothing in writing, because it would probably be unenforceable and neither side would really want to commit to something like that, especially the Patriots no matter how much Kraft wanted to stick it to the Colts or how much credibility McDaniels loses around the league.  I mean, what if McDaniels time comes in two years, but Brady decides to retire and he’s stuck with Brian Hoyer as his QB? 

Unenforceable?  The Colts did it with Caldwell taking over for Dungy.  Of course that one isn't nearly as memorable as the broken contract where BB was supposed to take over for Parcells.  But because it was in the contract that's why the Jets were able to get a first round pick for BB.

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You'd think there's some type of Brady succession plan in the works, seeing as how Jimmy G is gone now. If the Pats draft a QB this year, the clock restarts- it's a young protege on a rookie contract for four years that sits and learns from one of the all-time greats to ever do it. Brady is not going to be the Patriot QB in four years, no matter what he says. Like I said, McDaniels very well may have not gotten written assurances, but if he didn't, he's dumber than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any kind of written assurance wouldn’t be worth the paper it’s written on, and any lawyer would have told him that.  McDaniels also has to be smart enough to know that a QB in the draft that he wants might not be available and might actually not turn out to be that good.  

Look, I’m sure he’s being prepared to take over for Belichik eventually.  But he took a risk in backing away from the Colts job, since the Pats head coaching job couldn’t be guaranteed, much less on a particular time line he might have in mind, and even much less under ideal circumstances.  The long predicted Patriots decline might actually begin in earnest next year with Brady and Belichik.

Can he ever get a head coaching job with another team?  I’m sure if Nick Satan wanted, he could get an NFL job in two seconds.  Jim Harbaugh had a rocky relationship with his front office, but he’d also get hired in a second if he became available.  And I think that most teams realize Irsay is a clown, and could convince themselves that McDaniels wouldn’t pull the same thing with them.  But we’ll see.

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Unenforceable?  The Colts did it with Caldwell taking over for Dungy.  Of course that one isn't nearly as memorable as the broken contract where BB was supposed to take over for Parcells.  But because it was in the contract that's why the Jets were able to get a first round pick for BB.

The Jets got compensation for BB because they actually hired him to be their coach, and the Patriots had to pay compensation to get him out of that deal.  

Any agreement between the Pats and McDaniels is unenforceable in the sense that McDaniels couldn’t somehow sue the Patriots to force them to make him the head coach when BB steps down.  Now it’s possible that McDaniels could sue for money damages in that situation, but that kind of lawsuit wouldn’t be a big deal for the Patriots or any NFL team that fires a coach in the middle of a contract.  

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Any kind of written assurance wouldn’t be worth the paper it’s written on, and any lawyer would have told him that.  McDaniels also has to be smart enough to know that a QB in the draft that he wants might not be available and might actually not turn out to be that good.  

Look, I’m sure he’s being prepared to take over for Belichik eventually.  But he took a risk in backing away from the Colts job, since the Pats head coaching job couldn’t be guaranteed, much less on a particular time line he might have in mind, and even much less under ideal circumstances.  The long predicted Patriots decline might actually begin in earnest next year with Brady and Belichik.

Can he ever get a head coaching job with another team?  I’m sure if Nick Satan wanted, he could get an NFL job in two seconds.  Jim Harbaugh had a rocky relationship with his front office, but he’d also get hired in a second if he became available.  And I think that most teams realize Irsay is a clown, and could convince themselves that McDaniels wouldn’t pull the same thing with them.  But we’ll see.

Except McDaniels already had a poor rep even before this from his Denver days.  Basically he's become the NFL's version of Lane Kiffin burning a record amount of bridges in a short period of time with no resume to fall back on unlike Saban (albeit his resume's in college).  And the fact he actually hired assistant coaches that are now stuck in Indy makes it far worse than even just backing away.

23 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The Jets got compensation for BB because they actually hired him to be their coach, and the Patriots had to pay compensation to get him out of that deal.  

Any agreement between the Pats and McDaniels is unenforceable in the sense that McDaniels couldn’t somehow sue the Patriots to force them to make him the head coach when BB steps down.  Now it’s possible that McDaniels could sue for money damages in that situation, but that kind of lawsuit wouldn’t be a big deal for the Patriots or any NFL team that fires a coach in the middle of a contract.  

They hired him as the HC because it was in his contract once Parcells stepped down BB became the head coach.  They went over it in the Two Bills documentary recently where Parcells got the fax of the Patriots requesting permission to talk to BB then he immediately made the decision to resign to trigger BB becoming the coach.  It was literally the day after Parcells resigned that BB did.

Edited by NJDevs4978

24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Except McDaniels already had a poor rep even before this from his Denver days.  Basically he's become the NFL's version of Lane Kiffin burning a record amount of bridges in a short period of time with no resume to fall back on unlike Saban (albeit his resume's in college).  And the fact he actually hired assistant coaches that are now stuck in Indy makes it far worse than even just backing away.

They hired him as the HC because it was in his contract once Parcells stepped down BB became the head coach.  They went over it in the Two Bills documentary recently where Parcells got the fax of the Patriots requesting permission to talk to BB then he immediately made the decision to resign to trigger BB becoming the coach.  It was literally the day after Parcells resigned that BB did.

MD2020 was talking about assurances that McDaniels will eventually be the head coach of New England as an incentive for him to backout of the Colts job as that being what McDaniels ultimately wants, or at least that’s how I read it.  It could be written down in blood for all we know, the bottom line is that the Patriots ultimately can’t be forced to make McDaniels the head coach if circumstances change, although yes, McDaniels would probably be entitled to a nice chunk of change for his troubles.  

The Patriots, on the other hand, might drive a hard bargain for a draft pick if he is actually considered the head coach at some point.  

Anything in writing would get the Rooney Rule shoved so far up their ass they'd have to call Zolac out of the booth to QB the team for three years :P 

If anything the Colts lied about Luck's recovery (again) and he said screw this and stayed in the safer place......

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of things happening in the league:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/968885892797681665

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/968586895583309824

Broncos likely going to try to trade Aqib Talib to clear $11 million to shop for a QB (Cousins). Talib is still very good, expensive contract.

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

• 2 weeks later...

Very troubling for the Giants

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22715325/new-york-giants-aware-odell-beckham-jr-video

The New York Giants and the NFL are aware of a potentially troubling video involving wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. that was leaked Friday while he was on a Nike-sponsored trip in Europe.

The seven-second clip posted on social media shows Beckham in a bed next to a pizza holding what appears to be some sort of brown cigarette or cigar. There is a woman next to him with a credit card and what looks like a white powdery substance aligned in rows.

The woman has since come out to cover for Beckham saying that he didn't take any drugs but...I mean it's all there right out in the open. Nobody believes her. The Giants really need to get this guy into rehab or trade him. Probably not quite enough there for the NFL to suspend him. Just a lot of assumptions.

Edited by '7'

Has this been one of the wackiest off-seasons in recent memory or what?  

A league where no one ever trades anyone and there's been like 5-6 trades already ahead of the league year start, 3 to Cleveland that might make them borderline playoff contenders.

A 29 year old starting caliber QB hitting the market because the team that didn't want to contract him and instead traded for the 33 y/o QB who's on the road to becoming a journeyman placeholder.  

The most talked about player from the combine that isn't an insanely overvalued QB is a one-handed linebacker that ran a running back time in the 40 yard dash.

Hell, Odell's antics seem like business as usual for the NFL to be honest, the difference between him and the rest of the guys that go out and have too much fun is that people know him by name.

The new league year is set to be VERY interesting.

7 hours ago, '7' said:

The woman has since come out to cover for Beckham saying that he didn't take any drugs but...I mean it's all there right out in the open. Nobody believes her. The Giants really need to get this guy into rehab or trade him. Probably not quite enough there for the NFL to suspend him. Just a lot of assumptions.

PLEASE....the NFL has suspended people for a LOT less.....it would only be fair if the Gestapo-Hammer smacked on Princess Odell....but that might make him grow up too.......