GDT: Devils @ Caps 12/30 7:00PM

Neb00rs

4 hours ago, devlman said:

The January part of the schedule looks very rough. Another reason that point lost to Buffalo stings.

Palmieri has looked really terrible since his return.

Not really fair to cherry-pick one "lost" point, especially since the Devils have staged some nice comebacks this season.  They had a near-perfect homestand...you don't see a ton of 6-game winning streaks in the NHL.

The Devils do get that "bye" week in January.  They play a number of road games (7 on the road, just 4 at home), but it's not too rough of a schedule, all things considered.  February, March, and April are a bit of a bear though.  If the Devils can bank over 60% of the points available to them in January, I'll feel very good about them getting into the postseason.

On the one hand, I hate to see the Devils go into a game for 1st place with a division rival and not get a point out of it.  Because the balance of the schedule is going to be loaded with division games, and the Devils are going to have to get their share of points out of those.

On the other hand, last night's play, 6 man missed penalty aside, was not exactly good enough.  Some loose D, 2 bad O-zone penalties that killed momentum.  And they really had a difficult time getting pucks in deep, for the most part.  Sometimes they try to get a bit too fine with some passing.  

So given that the team was not happy with their performance and a chance to go home and have a practice during a road trip, I'm looking for some re-focusing and stronger play heading into St. Louie and Dallas.  I'll be happy with 3 out of 4 before next Sunday's matinee in Brooklyn.

On a side note, I understand the NHL wants to maximize weekends for attendance purposes, but during the Holidays I don't see the need for the back to backs.  The league has 8 games scheduled for today.  That's a fairly high total for a Sunday during football season.

• Like 1

“But, without trying to be a Devils’ apologist here, let’s also recognize that Matt Niskanen’s goal to put the Capitals ahead 4-1 at 4:25 of the third period was accomplished with six Capitals on the ice. And that does not include goalie Braden Holtby. There is photographic evidence backing that up, plus a celebration shot of six Capitals hugging it out after the goal.

But that is not a reviewable play because referees West McCauley and Tom Chmielewski just flat out missed it.”

Not saying this changes the end result but isn’t it just a little annoying between Friday’s no goal and this missed call? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

“But, without trying to be a Devils’ apologist here, let’s also recognize that Matt Niskanen’s goal to put the Capitals ahead 4-1 at 4:25 of the third period was accomplished with six Capitals on the ice. And that does not include goalie Braden Holtby. There is photographic evidence backing that up, plus a celebration shot of six Capitals hugging it out after the goal.

But that is not a reviewable play because referees West McCauley and Tom Chmielewski just flat out missed it.”

Not saying this changes the end result but isn’t it just a little annoying between Friday’s no goal and this missed call? 

We need Cory to flat out tell the media that the NHL has a bias against us. It will be a good for one free call in our favor that confuses the sh!t out of everyone else

4 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

There were like 4 of us here last night baffled at how that goal ended up happening. I remember we agreed Sami fell for mysterious reasons, this revelation only makes it that much funnier since we were all kind of "WTF".

5 hours ago, Bonginator11 said:

I've seen that happen a few times over the years for different teams. Absolute BS that this isn't reviewable but that a skate .5 inches over the blue line is. Absolute BS

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not really fair to cherry-pick one "lost" point, especially since the Devils have staged some nice comebacks this season.  They had a near-perfect homestand...you don't see a ton of 6-game winning streaks in the NHL.

The Devils do get that "bye" week in January.  They play a number of road games (7 on the road, just 4 at home), but it's not too rough of a schedule, all things considered.  February, March, and April are a bit of a bear though.  If the Devils can bank over 60% of the points available to them in January, I'll feel very good about them getting into the postseason.

I agree we need that winning rate but 60% for January is a tall order.  Philly twice is always tough, Isles twice and Blues ugh

24 minutes ago, devlman said:

I agree we need that winning rate but 60% for January is a tall order.  Philly twice is always tough, Isles twice and Blues ugh

strength of schedule doesn't worry me too much, this team can play competitively with good teams. I'm more concerned about how compressed the schedule is in Feb and March, they play a ton of games those months and I worry about Nico, Bratt and Butcher hitting a wall.