Max Pacioretty?

fsu1852

19 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

as far as karlsson goes, why wouldn't we just wait until FA to see if we can get him for nothing but $

You can have him for two Cup runs if you trade for him now.  (Yes, so long as we’re not trading Cory, Nico, Hall, etc. Karlsson makes the Devils a Cup contender).  He’ll also be two years older when he’s a UFA.

Edited by Daniel

4 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

Yup, meant to say, no one here in this org.. we're not Pitt grabbing a Kessel to put us over the top... our moves are longer term..

We haven’t been in a position to make such an acquisition since new ownership took over. I’m sure there’s several examples of hired help at the deadline that didn’t re-sign from the prior regime. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

No way Shero put his long-term plan in the dump for Karlsson. I think he has a plan and it’s working well so far and he’s going to stick to it. I can firmly see John Carlson come here though during FA. 

No I said previously I don’t think he does it either, but to say ”It's not what this organization does” when the current leadership has not been in the position to be a buyer rather than a seller at the deadline is disingenuous. 

• Like 1

A top notch D man would be nice, but not at the expence of 1 or 2 of our core players. So far this season looks like were headed in the right direction. Now if some team said, how bout some draft picks,  I would Def consider that deal..... And I honestly dont think that will ever ever happen. well maybe. lol

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

We haven’t been in a position to make such an acquisition since new ownership took over. I’m sure there’s several examples of hired help at the deadline that didn’t re-sign from the prior regime. 

not talking prior regime.. talking shero and his rebuild.. the prior regime were in win now mode a few times.. or thought they were

5 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

not talking prior regime.. talking shero and his rebuild.. the prior regime were in win now mode a few times.. or thought they were

I understand...my point was, you have no idea what the current regime would do in that situation, because they have never been in that situation. 

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I understand...my point was, you have no idea what the current regime would do in that situation, because they have never been in that situation. 

ok,understood.. im in the "in shero we trust" camp.. but if we go kane and karlsson.. all bets are off and its full blown win now..LOL

Just now, EdgeControl said:

ok,understood.. im in the "in shero we trust" camp.. but if we go kane and karlsson.. all bets are off and its full blown win now..LOL

I trust him too, and we are not in “win now” mode, so I believe we won’t be doing that. But god willing, there will come a day...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

It’s not that I think that’s an overpayment for Karlsson, it’s that (regardless of how well this season is going) this team has no business shipping out 5+ assets for ANYONE who’s name doesn’t end in McDavid 

for a top 5 dman in the entire league?  thats a no-brainer.. ottawa might not accept that.. its going to be excruciatingly difficult to fix this D.. severson, zacha and mcleod ar doing little for us now.. hardly indispensable 

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

It’s not that I think that’s an overpayment for Karlsson, it’s that (regardless of how well this season is going) this team has no business shipping out 5+ assets for ANYONE who’s name doesn’t end in McDavid 

Not that it would come close to getting us Karlsson, but you'd be crazy not to give up Zacha, McLeod, Severson, and a 1st for Karlsson. I'd call that lopsided for the Devils. Two question marks (one of whom already doesn't seem like a star), a low first round pick, and a top 4 d-man for the 27 year-old best defenseman in the league.

I just love that posters on this thread have just assumed that trade would work, and have already rejected it as bad for the Devils in unequivocal terms. Thank God Ray Shero is the GM and not them.

Edited by Neb00rs

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Not that it would come close to getting us Karlsson, but you'd be crazy not to give up Zacha, McLeod, Severson, and a 1st for Karlsson. I'd call that lopsided for the Devils. Two question marks (one of whom already doesn't seem like a star), a low first round pick, and a top 4 d-man for the 27 year-old best defenseman in the league.

I just love that posters on this thread have just assumed that trade would work, and have already rejected it as bad for the Devils in unequivocal terms. Thank God Ray Shero is the GM and not them.

Assuming you’re talking an extension for Karlsson, I’d make that deal. But would you do it to get him for a year and a half? 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Assuming you’re talking an extension for Karlsson, I’d make that deal. But would you do it to get him for a year and a half? 

Absolutely. The only known entity on the Devils side of the trade is Severson signed long term. But you're getting a shot at Karlsson. Getting an elite 1D is what every team shoots for. Yes, he costs money to sign, but he's the type of player you pay.

Not happening though. Not for those players.

18 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I guess I don’t see it. Karlsson’s had a pretty blah season so far, and I’m so high on McLeod and still have really high hopes for Zacha. I’m not even a prospect hugger per se.

All that being said I assume a trade for Karlsson starts and ends with Nico.

No.

The trade I suggested makes the Devils a Cup contender for the next two seasons.    You are effectivey losing only one current roster player in Zacha, since you are switching Karlsson for Severson, obviously an enormous upgrade.  Obviously Nico is off limits.

Ottawa’s hands will be tied if Melnyk gives the order to make the trade.  Karlsson is a wasting asset so far as Ottawa is concerned in that the longer they wait to trade him the less they’re going to get.  And even if the team that he’s traded to is inclined to give him an extension, everyone knows it’ll be a cap buster, which will depress his trade value even more.  That said of all the teams that are realistic destinations, the Devils should have the most cap space and by a wide margin.

Edited by Daniel

29 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I guess I don’t see it. Karlsson’s had a pretty blah season so far, and I’m so high on McLeod and still have really high hopes for Zacha. I’m not even a prospect hugger per se.

No.

I really don't think McLeod should be untouchable, especially seeing that he's not an impact player for team Canada at all at the moment (barely playing really), they have a pretty meh thing this year and he's not even top 6, he's their PK guy. That's not to say he couldnt be a serviable player in the NHL like Henrique became but doesn't look like he's an impact player that should be untouchable when you could get arguably the best dman in the league.

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

No.

Nah, that won't happen. I do think Bratt would be in the mix though. Bratt, Severson, 1st, sounds a lot more likely to me than Daniel's proposal. Daniel''s proposal works next year at the trade deadline maybe.

The problem with this trade is that you only make it if you're taking a run at the cup or if you're ready to throw 10 million a year at him. I am not saying those situations don't apply to the Devils at all, but I don't think ether are their MO yet. 

I honestly think anyone denying they'd accept EK for Zacha, McLeod, Severson, and a 1st has a case of poster's bullsh!t and if it actually happened, ya'll would be ecstatic. We basically get to keep our forward roster in tact as it is now (minus a guy who has been a healthy scratch this year) and upgrade from Severson to EK.

10 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

OK. I was mostly reacting to the first. But with Karlsson you can probably get a good run out of this group this year - not a great chance, but a chance to do something for sure. And next year, with growth to Hischier, Bratt, the other kids, a better off season for Karlsson...hard to find many clearly better teams in the East. 

If you can add an extension to that...

18 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

According to Elliotte Friedman MTL has been talking with Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphie and St.Louis about Pacioretty

Geez, making a move for Pacioretty is about the last thing the Red Wings should be doing.   

6 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Nah, that won't happen. I do think Bratt would be in the mix though. Bratt, Severson, 1st, sounds a lot more likely to me than Daniel's proposal. Daniel''s proposal works next year at the trade deadline maybe.

The problem with this trade is that you only make it if you're taking a run at the cup or if you're ready to throw 10 million a year at him. I am not saying those situations don't apply to the Devils at all, but I don't think ether are their MO yet. 

Yeah, I agree Bratt, Severson and a 1st would have to be the starting bid on a move for Karlsson.  I can't imagine McLeod has that much value to Ottawa's management group given what they traded to move up one spot to get Logan Brown instead of MM.  I can't imagine Zacha being a deal breaker for anyone right now so i would rather just keep him to see if he eventually turns the corner.  He certainly shows flashes.