John Tavares - Do we make a pitch?

Mitico12

I think Tavares has a winner's pedigree, even though he hasn't won anything in Long Island.  The guy is a consummate professional, and alongside Hischier, Hall - I think the Devils would tip the balance of power scale in the East...

I think he sticks with the Isles, since they got the arena deal done and all that.

But, assuming he hits FA and doesn't want to play for the motherland in Toronto, I think we could be a very appealing destination for him. Young team on the rise, plenty of cap, keeps him in the NY metropolitan area.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Something else that we don't often think about is that a lot of players come here cause they dig Hynes system and they see themselves thriving in that system. 

The above really isn't accurate...it's not like some big-name FAs have come here since Shero arrived (though picking up Butcher was a nice grab, especially since a lot of fans didn't think Butcher would sign here).  Shero's built the team through some smart/opportunistic trades (Hall, Palms, MoJo), flip-for-picks & assets "temp" signings, and as we're beginning to see, from within (Hischier and Bratt)...not really through guys who wanted to come play for Hynes (not knocking Hynes, just don't think he factored much into players' decisions who had free will to pick their team).     

I do think Shero will sign a top FA before much longer...if the Rangers hadn't found a way to clear enough cap room for Shattenkirk, that already would've happened...I fully believe that the only way the Devils don't wind up with Carlson or Karlsson is if Shero simply decides he doesn't want them.  I think the reason that Shero will nab a big FA won't be due to Hynes as much as it will be because there's some nice young talent here...basically, I think it will be more because of what Shero's building than anything else.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i'd be alllll over that. 

Hischier - Hall - Karlsson - Tavares. 

Hell... ESPN might even give us good odds before the season with those guys haha

Haha, I know this is probably tongue in cheek but the first thing I thought was that this is Maple Leafs level wishful thinking adding both Tavares and Karlsson.  Like having Stamkos penciled in for 2 years as their future #1C    

Anyway, if there is any possible way to add Tavares, you do it.    

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The above really isn't accurate...it's not like some big-name FAs have come here since Shero arrived (though picking up Butcher was a nice grab, especially since a lot of fans didn't think Butcher would sign here).  Shero's built the team through some smart/opportunistic trades (Hall, Palms, MoJo), flip-for-picks & assets "temp" signings, and as we're beginning to see, from within (Hischier and Bratt)...not really through guys who wanted to come play for Hynes (not knocking Hynes, just don't think he factored much into players' decisions who had free will to pick their team).     

I do think Shero will sign a top FA before much longer...if the Rangers hadn't found a way to clear enough cap room for Shattenkirk, that already would've happened...I fully believe that the only way the Devils don't wind up with Carlson or Karlsson is if Shero simply decides he doesn't want them.  I think the reason that Shero will nab a big FA won't be due to Hynes as much as it will be because there's some nice young talent here...basically, I think it will be more because of what Shero's building than anything else.

What i meant what more that it's a factor that we don't bring up often rather than it's one thing that will convince a top UFA to come here. You don't convince a guy like Tavares to come here if were playing a boring systematic system like we use too im sure. 

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What i meant what more that it's a factor that we don't bring up often rather than it's one thing that will convince a top UFA to come here. You don't convince a guy like Tavares to come here if were playing a boring systematic system like we use too im sure. 

Which era are you referring to, re:  boring?  There were times in the past that due to general lack of flash/finish or creative talent, playing a structured defense-first system represented the best way to squeeze points out of certain teams.  As we know, some of the Devils teams during their run of success and Cup wins (1994-2003) were often better offensively than they were given credit for.  And this team is at least showing a strong beginning that suggests that it should be a top-half offensive team in the years to come (though it could probably use a true bona-fide finisher...there's nice depth and I don't have a problem with "by committee", in that this team now rarely gets held to less than two goals...but man what one big sniper could do...)  Anyway, what's great is that this team's talent doesn't lend itself to having to play uber-structured, near-flawless executed D-system hockey to succeed.  That won't be a concern for years (ideally). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Which era are you referring to, re:  boring?  There were times in the past that due to general lack of flash/finish or creative talent, playing a structured defense-first system represented the best way to squeeze points out of certain teams.  As we know, some of the Devils teams during their run of success and Cup wins (1994-2003) were often better offensively than they were given credit for.  And this team is at least showing a strong beginning that suggests that it should be a top-half offensive team in the years to come (though it could probably use a true bona-fide finisher...there's nice depth and I don't have a problem with "by committee", in that this team now rarely gets held to less than two goals...but man what one big sniper could do...)  Anyway, what's great is that this team's talent doesn't lend itself to having to play uber-structured, near-flawless executed D-system hockey to succeed.  That won't be a concern for years (ideally). 

Well the DeBoer years would be the most recent example, we did good with that system but we were playing an incredibly predictable game. There was not an ounce of creativity in our attacks. It was scripted plays after scripted plays. Coming from the right side carrying the puck Kovy would do the same thing 97% of the time. Then coming from the left side he'd do the same thing 97% of the time. They'd almost NEVER try to score off the rush, as fast as they possibly be coming in the offensive zone, they'd ALWAYS slow down around the circles and wait for everyone to come in, they'd never try to beat the dman and crash the net. The ONLY time we'd even try was on the PK, and interesting enough we scored a lot of goals off the rush in those years but it was all on the PK cause we were allowed to push in that situation i guess.

And while its fair to say that we had a slower / older team. We still had very creative guys that were held back. With that system now Hall couldnt be running around deking his way around the offensive zone for sure.

I remember Zach mentioning something at some point about how he wish that they could be more creative or allowed more to push the attack more too.

Edited by SterioDesign

I don't think he leaves the Islanders especially now that the arena seems to be a done deal.  I don't see any circumstances where he would seriously consider coming here.  So be it, stay the course.  I've come to accept that most if not all top tier free agents won't take much of a look here but I also think more often than not they get overpaid and under deliver over their contracts. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Quick question.

Why is the arena such a strong point now? I mean... i know its been sh!tty but why would that be a player wanting to stay over other things?

In the Isles situation I could see how it would keep a player up at night, Nassau was no longer a viable NHL venue and Barclays wanted the Islanders out as well. If the Isles got kicked from Barclays without the Belmont plan in place, then a relocation becomes a feasible scenario, it's just one less uncertainty for Tavares to worry about now.

I see him staying with the Islanders, but if he doesn't, I still don't see him coming here.  Can't imagine there's much of a reason in terms of location, and even though I know we have some pretty deep pockets and available cap space at the moment, but not sure that we'd be able to commit the money he'd be asking for without sacrificing some of the other pieces we've done a good job adding over the past few years.  

12 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I think he sticks with the Isles, since they got the arena deal done and all that.

But, assuming he hits FA and doesn't want to play for the motherland in Toronto, I think we could be a very appealing destination for him. Young team on the rise, plenty of cap, keeps him in the NY metropolitan area.

Agreed. Now that the arena deal is in place I think Tavares sticks on LI.