GDT: Devils @ St. Louis 8:00 PM

MadDog2020

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s ridiculous, actually. There’s no conspiracy against the Devils. Hall was borderline offsides. Johansson was clearly offsides. Both calls were made IN OUR FAVOR by the referees, and were reversed on video review. 

You may not like video review, but we have it. 

And by the way, anytime a team scores a deciding goal and there is a slight possibility of offsides, every coach in this league should challenge or they aren’t doing their job. 

Have not seen anything that shows he is "clearly" off sides.  at best both were border line off sides...

32 minutes ago, redruM said:

Have not seen anything that shows he is "clearly" off sides.  at best both were border line off sides...

I have to disagree on that, having watched Johansson's play about 50 times between replays and me rewinding and re-watching, he looked offsides to me every single time. 

I personally don't think Hall was offsides because I think that he had that puck in his control. But that's a judgment call and I can see how it would go the other way. 

The Caps "too many men" goal is irrelevant, as its a completely different situation and one that isn't reviewable. If you don't think offsides should be reviewable, than I can't imagine you think penalties should be. 

I personally hate any kind of replay in all sports. The element of human error is a part of all sports, or at least it used to be. I am totally  fine with a referee or an umpire blowing an occasional call, because that's the game. Unfortunately we live in a society where everyone feels there has to be some kind of remedy when they are wronged in even the most minor way, which is why we have video replay. 

MAYBE I could support use of video replay for those "in and out" kind of goals, just because they happen so damn fast and you can too easily confuse them for having his a post or crossbar. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s ridiculous, actually. There’s no conspiracy against the Devils. Hall was borderline offsides. Johansson was clearly offsides. Both calls were made IN OUR FAVOR by the referees, and were reversed on video review. 

You may not like video review, but we have it. 

And by the way, anytime a team scores a deciding goal and there is a slight possibility of offsides, every coach in this league should challenge or they aren’t doing their job. 

I think most of us have an issue with this one more than the Hall one because the offside occurred way before the goal and had nothing to do with the goal itself. I believe a line change occurred during the 20 seconds between the offsides and the goal. It’s annoying that you do all that work to score a goal just to have the goal wiped out by something that happened way before. It’s a stupid rule and definitely needs to go. It’s not what review should be used for. And I say that if it worked in our favor too. Missed offsides happen - humans aren’t perfect. Football has the same problem with replay too. I think baseball has it the best - just checking if a HR was indeed a HR and also between out and safe.

Edited by Bonginator11

1 minute ago, Bonginator11 said:

I think most of us have an issue with this one more than the Hall one because the offside occurred way before the goal and had nothing to do with the goal itself. I believe a line change occurred during the 20 seconds between the offsides and the goal. It’s annoying that you do all that work to score a goal just to have the goal wiped out by something that happened way before. It’s a stupid rule and definitely needs to go. It’s not what review should be used for. And I say that if it worked for us too. Missed offsides happen - humans aren’t perfect. Football has the same problem with replay too. I think baseball has it the best - just checking if a HR was indeed a HR and also between out and safe.

You'll get no argument from me about it being a stupid rule and it having to go.

Additionally as is noted in another thread, the whole concept that a guy carrying the puck can put himself offsides is stupid as well. The rule is there to keep guys from hanging in the offensive zone, or from sprinting there ahead of the puck when someone else has it. In my opinion, as a puck carrier you shouldn't be able to put yourself offsides at all. 

I mean, there aren't many stoppages where a coach wouldn't be able to challenge an offsides that happened on the prior play. They're frequently close calls, that's the issue. The reason that offsides is always close is because there wasn't replay challenges in the game, so they got used to getting away with the close ones.

And as bad as it has gotten with replay in the NFL, honestly, I have RARELY seen them overturn a call on the field without overwhelming conclusive evidence. They're very consistent with erring on the side of the call on the field. That wasn't the case with the Devils yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, there aren't many stoppages where a coach wouldn't be able to challenge an offsides that happened on the prior play. They're frequently close calls, that's the issue. The reason that offsides is always close is because there wasn't replay challenges in the game, so they got used to getting away with the close ones.

And as bad as it has gotten with replay in the NFL, honestly, I have RARELY seen them overturn a call on the field without overwhelming conclusive evidence. They're very consistent with erring on the side of the call on the field. That wasn't the case with the Devils yesterday.

Except this crockery using a FOLDED piece of paper instead of a single sheet or index card... lol

• Like 1

I'm not saying it never happens and replay in the NFL is a disaster for many reasons. But they consistently err on the side of the call on the field.

There were other problems with the call yesterday as well, such as Yeo challenging it three years after the goal happened.

Edited by Neb00rs

Except this crockery using a FOLDED piece of paper instead of a single sheet or index card... lol

Yeah or that bullsh!t reversal in the NE-Pittsburgh game from the same day, once again illustrating that the NFL has no idea how to define a catch anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

my take on this is that i don't think there's some conspiracy against us or anything. From recent events, i do think that based on the rules that the Hall goal was indeed offside, Johansson too. I do know that the Caps had too many men on the ice and that somehow the refs missed it (Like... it was not even a case of... buddy didnt jump out in time and the puck went by... they were ALL in play in the middle). 

I do think we're simply incredibly unlucky at the moment. And i do agree that the system is a bit flawed in a way... cause obviously in the end you want the right call to be made as much as possible. But it's also very fvcking hard to look at it without being biased.

One other thing that i know is that... calls like this, miss-calls, overturn goals and penalties etc etc... when it goes your way, you soon forget about it. But when it goes against you it sting and you'll remember for a long time. so when you take a step back and try to analyze as a whole... you always "see" a lot more things going against you. Hard to realized that you're very biased though and it's challenging to be honest with ourselves in cases like this. 

And obviously here i'm talking over the course of the season... not much went our way lately we can all agree.

Great call here, flawed system but it is what's currently in place. I'm sure every fan base throughout the season feels they're getting sh!t on, some way more than others.  Move on and be thankful we are where we are in the big picture which I would say is a place exceeding most everyones expectations.  Carry on, go get the next one.

21 hours ago, Marshall said:

Video coach upstairs usually makes the call.

Can't really see how that is fair, are the other team able to bring a video coach as well? Or just the home team? 

Agree with others that a time limit needs to be put on it to make the challenge. 

Also what if after the event the Blues had scored a goal instead of is, Could we go back and challenge the call and say "actually we were offside there, bring the play back".

• Like 1