Uneasy trend

slasher72

4 hours ago, slasher72 said:

This is the second game in less than a week where a critical goal has been erased with a bullsh!t offsides call. My fear is every opposing coach will try this tactic against the Devils, knowing their chances are pretty damn good of it going in their team's favor.  

The rule absolutely sucks, but both calls have been pretty clear and have been consistent with how they call the rule. Unless you think the NHL edits the video feed to show Devils skates being above the ice or wrong side of the line, the fear expressed in your second sentence is quite unfounded.

8 hours ago, slasher72 said:

This is the second game in less than a week where a critical goal has been erased with a bullsh!t offsides call. My fear is every opposing coach will try this tactic against the Devils, knowing their chances are pretty damn good of it going in their team's favor.  

I think they'll will try it against anyone, not just the Devils. Any "real" opportunity to disallow a goal, any coach will do it. I don't think the Devils unravel, this team doesn't let that get in the way. Now, not catching 6 guys on the ice for a goal? 

16 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I'll ask once again.. show me the view from a low angle - side  where the skate blade angle proves it was above the ice.. you can not conclusively see it from above the skater..

This is my issue, I have NOT seen conclusive video of either play that shows off sides...

Also I have trouble believing it takes over 5 minutes to find conclusive evidence.  If it takes that long can it really be conclusive?

Edited by redruM
  • Like 1

No it isn't, his right skate is off the ice; you can clearly see its shadow on the ice. 

The front of his right skate is on the ice, and the fact is, this is so damn close that it doesn't matter. We don't need to be reviewing this sh!t. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's really the point - we really don't need to review this.  The same thing is happening in the NFL.  The video review was meant to correct obviously missed or blown calls.  To have to watch numerous replays from numerous angles at super slow motion is against the point of the replay system.  If it's not obvious from a quick review it shouldn't be overturned.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The front of his right skate is on the ice, and the fact is, this is so damn close that it doesn't matter. We don't need to be reviewing this sh!t. It's ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not on the line.  It's offside.  It's a stupid rule, I 1000% agree, but by the rule, he's offside.

9 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Oh please. From that angle it is not possible to tell where the curve of the blade tangents off the blue line.  Yes it might. But it's in no way absolutely conclusive. It's a judgement call. Which is bullsh!+

It could be lined up with another frame from the blueline camera to confirm.  Certainly it looks like all but his toe is off the ice, and his entire skate may not even be on it.  The shadow being cast by his skate extends past the blue line.

Edited by Triumph

56 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's an onsides play. Period.

50 minutes ago, Triumph said:

No it isn't, his right skate is off the ice; you can clearly see its shadow on the ice. 

That picture proves absolutely nothing, the puck is over the line and his skate is over the line. The question is which happened first, which you can't tell from a still picture. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That picture proves absolutely nothing, the puck is over the line and his skate is over the line. The question is which happened first, which you can't tell from a still picture. 

That's right. While I might agree that this picture shows that MoJo is in the offensive zone entirely, so is the puck. Therefore, it's onside to me.

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

image.thumb.png.10fb1774b7601ee9ddd1b5654431628f.png

Judging by that photo, the blade could still be touching the blue line. It's impossible to say with 100 percent certainty because of the way his skates are angled. We can't even see the blade of his skate; all we see is the white plastic that is attached to the blade. In comparison, the Blues player's skate blade is clearly visible because his skate is positioned straight up; we can clearly see where it touches the ice.

It's obvious that this play was too close to overturn.

Edited by SargentD
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't see the puck as being over the line in that picture, as I don't see any white between the puck and the line.  At the very least the puck is on the line a frame before and I doubt Johansson's skate is on the line at that point.

Caveat that all of this is stupid and the NHL is stupid for implementing this review process.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

LOL, thats the instant the puck crosses  you said it was clearly offsides LMAO  clearly???  c'mon fitz

18 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Coaches should only be able to challenge between the time the goal is scored and when the puck is dropped at center ice, much like in football where a play can't be challenged if another play has already began.

Isnt that the case already?  I just think they took their time to take the faceoff because of a possible challenge.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

It's not on the line.  It's offside.  It's a stupid rule, I 1000% agree, but by the rule, he's offside.

Again, no way you can tell me that is conclusive evidence, & if this is the way the NHL wants its going to hurt the game...