All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

sometimes not having someone at 100% is still better than having someone like Hayes... u know lol

There was one play last night where Stafford had a near 2 on 1,  and he looked over to pass thinking it would be a 2 on 1, but Hayes was the other guy and he skated like he’s on wet concrete. 

34 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Please don’t let Kane go to the Pens or Karlsson to the Bolts. Those teams are already going to be hard enough to beat as it is in the playoffs. 

None of those proposed Devils trades are terribly exciting. I guess Ben Hutton for Mirco Mueller would be the most interesting. I honestly don’t know much about Hutton, but I’m not sure they should give up on Mueller so soon. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Oh -- by the way. Talked to John Hynes before the Devils/Bolts game. He was just hanging out in the stands and catching up with Devils fans... pretty great. I asked about MoJo; he said that the belief is he'll be back before the playoffs but they're being extra cautious with him as it's his second concussion of the year.

That's really good to hear. Just the fact that he could be on pace to MAYBE come back this season shows that his career may not be over

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

Any interest in Derek Stepan with the Johansson injury?

He's a center, but I guess he can play wing.  Still, he's got a fairly sizable cap hit which means we probably would be out on any additional big ticket items.  Chayka also gave up a lot to get him, so as much as he looks at things like Mr. Spock I think he'd probably be looking for an overpayment with that in mind.  If we're going to make a big move, I'd rather it be for someone better.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

He's a center, but I guess he can play wing.  Still, he's got a fairly sizable cap hit which means we probably would be out on any additional big ticket items.  Chayka also gave up a lot to get him, so as much as he looks at things like Mr. Spock I think he'd probably be looking for an overpayment with that in mind.  If we're going to make a big move, I'd rather it be for someone better.

Fair enough, yea I looked at the cap hit...larger than I thought it would be

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, CommonDreads said:

I was actually thinking the other day, I wouldn't hate the Devils bringing in someone like Robin Lehner if the price isn't prohibitive, it might be a good long-term investment for this team to get a guy behind Cory that can play 30 games if need be instead of being stuck with someone like Kinkaid or Lack who are typically gonna give us sub .900 performances.

It's now rumored that the Flyers may be going after Lehner now that Neuvirth is hurt.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man, the bolded is really a reminder of how the Devils have had a hell of a time developing goalies from within since Marty first made his debut.  Off the top of my head, who's been the best of the bunch?  Dunham (who was drafted in the same year as Marty)?  But then there's the list of guys who were drafted pretty high and did almost nothing:  JF Damphousse (1st round, 1997), Ari Ahonen (1st round, 1999), and Jeff Frazee (2nd round, 2005)...and it's starting to look like Blackwood might be joining that crowd (still early, hopefully not).  Wedge was a late third-rounder (2010)...he's not exactly dominating with the Yotes, but at least he's an NHLer for the moment.    

Yep, it's been pretty mild in terms of goaltender depth the last 20-25 years, though to be fair, when you have a guy like Marty, it really makes that whole process a complete afterthought, at least it was for the better part of two decades anyway, and rightfully so.  You could make the argument that in the mid to late 2000s it should have been more of a priority, but then again, we made a pretty bold move and acquired Schneider in, what, 2014? So in all fairness and honesty, we're just now starting to have to dedicate some attention and focus to goaltending the way most "normal" teams (i.e. those without a Brodeur-type, which is obviously most) have had to do for a long time.  

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

All of the deals that mentioned the Devils didn't really make sense to me in there. I understand it's just an article that is basically throwing sh!t at the wall for the fun of it, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steven M. said:

All of the deals that mentioned the Devils didn't really make sense to me in there. I understand it's just an article that is basically throwing sh!t at the wall for the fun of it, though.

I got a chuckle out of the Mueller analysis, I wonder if the author didn't realize he was hurt for almost 4 months

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steven M. said:

I stopped reading when the guy said he was 3 for 120.

Depending on the cost................

I think we would all love to see Evander Kane with Nico and Hall and bumping Kyle to the 2nd line.

Kane is going to be an UFA and will not re-sign in Buffalo (we are believed to think anyways) and it really shouldn't cost that much to get him.

What would the Devils give up is the question. 

25 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Depending on the cost................

I think we would all love to see Evander Kane with Nico and Hall and bumping Kyle to the 2nd line.

Kane is going to be an UFA and will not re-sign in Buffalo (we are believed to think anyways) and it really shouldn't cost that much to get him.

What would the Devils give up is the question. 

Rumor is Buffalo is looking for a 1st, a top prospect, and another piece (B prospect or 2nd) for Kane, I'd be seeing red I'd be so angry if we gave up that much for Evander Kane

EDIT: Just for transparency's sake, the package it would likely take to get Evander Kane would be something in the neighborhood of our 1st, Mike McLeod, and Jesper Boqvist, hard pass

Edited by CommonDreads