All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

If Ottawa wants a team that trades for Karlsson to also take on Ryan's albatross of a contract............................
It means Ottawa is getting basically nothing for their best player.
I don't know of too many teams that can take on Ryan's contract and have to commit to Karlsson long term.
Ottawa fans would go ballistic if they got basically nothing in return for one of the best players in the NHL.

Trading Karlsson with Ryan's contract and getting basically pennies on the dollar for a future HOF defenseman in his prime (I know he's been banged up, but he's still in his 20's and should still be able to play at a high level for years to come) is the type of move you can look back on as the breaking point if the Senators end up in Quebec City in five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Trading Karlsson with Ryan's contract and getting basically pennies on the dollar for a future HOF defenseman in his prime (I know he's been banged up, but he's still in his 20's and should still be able to play at a high level for years to come) is the type of move you can look back on as the breaking point if the Senators end up in Quebec City in five years.

I hope Sens don't do this for their sake, but, for example, if the Devils do this and get a HOF D man for nothing just to take on a bad contract is music to every Devils fans ears.

I don't think the Devils would do this, but I can see the Pens or Flyers doing this.

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Dreger or McKenzie said that Ottawa wants seven pieces and you have to take Bobby Ryan.  They’re either geniuses or the dumbest management group since Milbury.  We’ll see.

Seven pieces as in seven players, prospects or picks? Which organization have 7 pieces to give (no matter how you split it between players, picks, and prospects)?  I understand why GMs are running away from this. Based on historical willingness to bring a big name at any price I think the only team that would be willing to consider something like that is the Rangers. 

Edited by SS-SS

Don't jump at me here - just spitballing. 

But what are the thoughts on maybe throwing Bratt out there as bait to bring back a more established, albeit expensive, player?

I feel like Bratt + Santini + Pick would be an enticing package to a cap/cash strapped team.

15 hours ago, Daniel said:

Dreger or McKenzie said that Ottawa wants seven pieces and you have to take Bobby Ryan.  They’re either geniuses or the dumbest management group since Milbury.  We’ll see.

Ha, they seem to be setting the market at their own overpayment for "upgrading" from Turris to Duchene. 

My guess is that Dorion holds out for a top end return and backs himself into a corner on time and eventually gets taken to the cleaners this summer or next season.   Hopefully Shero can play this right.   

Edit: I just looked up Ryan's contract.   That is horrible. 

Edited by Lateralous

I would assume the reason the scouts were at the game are for Johnson, since he's requested/demanded a trade. 

The Devils, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Tampa have been scouting each other extensively. Pretty sure 25 scouts didn't just show up to watch Jack Johnson, although I'm sure that's part of it.

Hey, I'm not saying I want it. But that's what I think Ottawa is gonna be fishing for.
They're gonna get stupid value for this guy I think.

Not with Bobby Ryan's abhorrent contract attached they won't. Have you seen Ryan's deal? It may be the worst I've ever seen lol. I mean, it's THAT bad.

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bratt, McLeod, Santini, 2018 1st, 2019 1st, Misc Pick

For

EK, Ryan, Misc. Pick

You heard it here first.

This is very, very bad.  The Devils are giving up 6 cost-controlled years of Bratt, 7 of McLeod, and 4 of Santini, plus giving up 2 1sts and some other pick, they are also taking on what many people feel is the worst contract in the league all to get one guy who while he is a great player he has a history of foot issues and is going to need to be paid 8 figures a season after next year.

To take on Ryan, this deal either includes Bratt or the 2 firsts, but certainly not both.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Bratt, McLeod, Santini, 2018 1st, 2019 1st, Misc Pick

For

EK, Ryan, Misc. Pick

You heard it here first.

You are absolutely off your rocker.  Karlsson is on the downside, and not worth two 1st rounders, let alone Santini and Bratt.