All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Plekanec had to shave his goatee lol

What a fvcking ridiculous rule

That's a rule where I think the fans cared more about it than the players themselves.

Also to be fair, Lou did allow the players to grow facial hair during the playoffs so he wasn't a complete hard-ass on that lol.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's a rule where I think the fans cared more about it than the players themselves.

Also to be fair, Lou did allow the players to grow facial hair during the playoffs so he wasn't a complete hard-ass on that lol.

Made a promise to myself to never get into another Lou discussion here and nobody wants me to get into that either, it's in the past now.

Love the man for what he did but it's already very well documented what I think of his rules, politics and how he was the worst GM when it came to his approach to re-signing his players. With the Rangers / Elias details coming out and compiling all the players we lost for nothing, some fans are finally turning the corner about that fact at least

So i'll leave it at that lol

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Made a promise to myself to never get into another Lou discussion here and nobody wants me to get into that either, it's in the past now.

Love the man for what he did but it's already very well documented what I think of his rules, politics and how he was the worst GM when it came to his approach to re-signing his players. With the Rangers / Elias details coming out and compiling all the players we lost for nothing, some fans are finally turning the corner about that fact at least

So i'll leave it at that lol

Oh don't worry I actually agree with you that a lot of his rules were silly.  The biggest one for me was keeping an Area 51-like level of secrecy around the team.  In the social-media era we live in that's nearly impossible and unreasonable.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

It would be amazing if we could be the third team in a three team deal and nab Carlson, because I highly doubt Washington trades him directly to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a 4-way deal because why not with some of the silliness with some of these deals

To OTT:
2018 1st (WSH)
2019 2nd (WSH)
2018 6th (VGK)
D Madison Bowey
LW Andre Burakovsky

To VGK:
2018 3rd (WSH)
RW Bobby Ryan

To NJ:
D John Carlson

To WSH:
D Erik Karlsson
D Steve Santini
LW John Quenneville
2019 2nd Round Pick (NJ)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Oh don't worry I actually agree with you that a lot of his rules were silly.  The biggest one for me was keeping an Area 51-like level of secrecy around the team.  In the social-media era we live in that's nearly impossible and unreasonable.

I was never a fan of his rules, and they made even less sense when the team isn't winning anymore. 

The game just passed him by. The last few seasons have been a breath of fresh air

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

How about a 4-way deal because why not with some of the silliness with some of these deals

To OTT:
2018 1st (WSH)
2019 2nd (WSH)
2018 6th (VGK)
D Madison Bowey
LW Andre Burakovsky

To VGK:
2018 3rd (WSH)
RW Bobby Ryan

To NJ:
D John Carlson

To WSH:
D Erik Karlsson
D Steve Santini
LW John Quenneville
2019 2nd Round Pick (NJ)

I'd do that, but I'm not sure a third is enough for Vegas to take on Ryan's contract, cap space or no cap space.  That's why I have a sinking sensation that Jack Johnson will be a Devil by this afternoon. 

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'd do that, but I'm not sure a third is enough for Vegas to take on Ryan's contract, cap space or no cap space.  That's why I have a sinking sensation that Jack Johnson will be a Devil by this afternoon. 

I don't hate the idea of Jack Johnson if the price is right, I don't think he's worth the premium price tag CBJ is likely asking for but I do think he's a useful defenseman, and our left side could use some strengthening.

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I'm just happy how everything is going now and the direction of the team. Some may remember that through my numerous debates I'd always go back to "how Shero was doing things in Pittsburgh" and i'd get TONS of backlash lol

I kept saying we had to stop going "all-in" patching holes with old vets and not looking for the future, it drove the team to the ground stripped of assets. That we were too slow, too system'y / predictable, not skilled enough, too old. Not a good culture for the young guys and absolutely no promising future to look forward to.

Then my boi Shero actually landed the job, got rid of the dead weight, made the team faster, younger, more creative and more fun for fans, players and everyone involved. And we're seeing incredible results already. 

I absolutely don't mean to come off as "Ha! I told you so!" either lol i'm just soooo happy with the new direction. 

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm just happy how everything is going now and the direction of the team. Some may remember that through my numerous debates I'd always go back to "how Shero was doing things in Pittsburgh" and i'd get TONS of backlash lol

I kept saying we had to stop going "all-in" patching holes with old vets and not looking for the future, it drove the team to the ground stripped of assets. That we were too slow, too system'y / predictable, not skilled enough, too old. Not a good culture for the young guys and absolutely no promising future to look forward to.

Then my boi Shero actually landed the job, got rid of the dead weight, made the team faster, younger, more creative and more fun for fans, players and everyone involved. And we're seeing incredible results already. 

I absolutely don't mean to come off as "Ha! I told you so!" either lol i'm just soooo happy with the new direction. 

To be fair, any new GM coming to the Devils would have probably stripped the team anyways.  He would have absolutely zero loyalty to any of the players since he would be coming in fresh and so I wouldn't say Shero was some sort of wizard there.

What we can applaud Shero for is how he has developed the current team.  He brought in his own scouting honcho and has made some pretty great trades in the past couple of seasons.  That's where other GM's would have probably floundered.

• Like 2

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, any new GM coming to the Devils would have probably stripped the team anyways.  He would have absolutely zero loyalty to any of the players since he would be coming in fresh and so I wouldn't say Shero was some sort of wizard there.

What we can applaud Shero for is how he has developed the current team.  He brought in his own scouting honcho and has made some pretty great trades in the past couple of seasons.  That's where other GM's would have probably floundered.

I just LOVE not being worried a single bit about re-signing our players or getting something for them if they want to move on. That's the biggest thing for me. That's not to say Shero will never lose a player. But he proved on multiple occasions that he's taking the right approach/steps when it comes to that. No blind gambling

21 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

To OTT:
2018 1st (WSH)
2019 2nd (WSH)
2018 6th (VGK)
D Madison Bowey
LW Andre Burakovsky

To VGK:
2018 3rd (WSH)
RW Bobby Ryan

To NJ:
D John Carlson

To WSH:
D Erik Karlsson
D Steve Santini
LW John Quenneville
2019 2nd Round Pick (NJ)

so santini, quenneville and a 2nd for rental carlson - honestly it's too much unless carlson re-signs with NJ. and even then, i don't know if i love it. RD is just not an area of need right now. i mean, i guess it does the job of presumably putting lovejoy to the scratch suite but he hasn't been entirely awful. unless hynes plans to essentially deploy a 3 man unit of vatanen-severson-carlson and then let greene, butcher, and moore/lovejoy/meuller fill in as necessary, i don't know how either JC or EK work this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Martyisth3b3st said:

Would anyone entertain a 3-team trade that involves the Devils acquiring Carlson (with an extension negotiated) AND Bobby Ryan (no salary retained) where Ottawa sends Washington Karlsson for prospects/picks? 

The only thing is... IF Washington is willing to move on from Carlsson... maybe they had no chance resigning him and i'd prefer signing him without trading anything.

Karlsson or Carlsson on this team would be amazing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Would anyone entertain a 3-team trade that involves the Devils acquiring Carlson (with an extension negotiated) AND Bobby Ryan (no salary retained) where Ottawa sends Washington Karlsson for prospects/picks? 

Taking Bobby Ryan pretty much defeats the purpose of getting Carlson if the idea is to sign Carlson to an extension. 

The only thing is... IF Washington is willing to move on from Carlsson... maybe they had no chance resigning him and i'd prefer signing him without trading anything.
Karlsson or Carlsson on this team would be amazing. 

If they move him, his new team might, and probably would, sign him. So if we can get him, I'm fine giving up assets, within reason of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk