All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

Just now, Derlique said:

I might even wait another year after that. I bet teams will get more compliance buyouts next negotiations. 

Ryan would also be a useful piece here for the next 2-3 years. He is horribly overpaid and oft-injured, but NJ could use another top-9 winger

He’s probably not even a top 9 winger, except by virtue of the fact that he could just be on an NHL team and have to play somewhere.  Ottawa fans will tell you that he basically can’t shoot the puck anymore because his hands are so shot.

Just now, Daniel said:

He’s probably not even a top 9 winger, except by virtue of the fact that he could just be on an NHL team and have to play somewhere.  Ottawa fans will tell you that he basically can’t shoot the puck anymore because his hands are so shot.

FWIW, he has 20 pts in 39 games. That is 40+ point pace. 

The Sens don't have a first or second this year, according to capfriendly. I'm sure gaining either or both of those would be huge for them. I wouldn't mind sending a 2018 or 2019 first as part of a package, but it would be lottery protected and I would also put conditions on EK resigning in two years.

2 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Does anyone else get a “Kovalchuk” vibe to this trade? Something we’ve kicked around for months, occasionally noted in the media we’d be a good fit.... I remember that trade being so unbelievably shocking but something we all “called” well in advance. 

i still remember where i was and all when it was announced. I remember being shocked, happy but insanely nervous cause there was rumours that Elias was part of the deal. Refreshing like a motherfvcker to see what the return was. Then i remembered being like "oh? thats it?"

Edited by SterioDesign

14 minutes ago, NLinfante said:

The Sens don't have a first or second this year, according to capfriendly. I'm sure gaining either or both of those would be huge for them. I wouldn't mind sending a 2018 or 2019 first as part of a package, but it would be lottery protected and I would also put conditions on EK resigning in two years.

The Sens will almost certainly have their first rounder this year, since as part of the Duchene deal, it was protected if it turns into a top ten pick, which looks very, very likely.  So it'll slide to next year where I don't think it's lottery protected.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The Sens will almost certainly have their first rounder this year, since as part of the Duchene deal, it was protected if it turns into a top ten pick, which looks very, very likely.  So it'll slide to next year where I don't think it's lottery protected.

Correct; I missed the conditional part the first time I read it. Doesn't change anything though for NJ. Hopefully NJ's first rounder this year will be middle of the pack (or maybe even lower) and nowhere near the lottery, 2019's I would lottery protect but also insist that EK stays for the gobs and gobs of money that he'll earn. 

Certainly I don't agree with EJ that a team will have to send both first rounders. Either or.

Edited by NLinfante

Too much. Severson, Zacha OR McLeod, one 1st and maybe a 2nd is as high as I’d go. Maybe add Zetterlund or Boqvist. Without the guarantee of re-signing him that would hurt our future too much. Plus his injury should be a concern as he has not returned to his normal self yet.

Don't think Shero will trade young assets for Karlsson. He has a plan for this team, and he isn't going to throw young pieces away for Karlsson imo. Injury issues, might not even stay here long-term. We also have Hall, Hischier, etc. to re-sign soon enough. 

Edited by Devs3cups

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a fair trade for both sides. Holden is decent but being asked to do too much this year (much like Lovejoy for us last year) 3rd rounders are more miss than hit. Not sure about this O'Gara guy but he's already 24 with not much offense to his game.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Seems like a fair trade for both sides. Holden is decent but being asked to do too much this year (much like Lovejoy for us last year) 3rd rounders are miss than hit. Not sure about this O'Gara guy but he's already 24 with not much offense to his game.

I'm beginning to think we could get a 3 for Lovejoy if we were so inclined....

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Severson-Zacha-McLeod and 2 1st round picks for a guy who’s had injury concerns and has 1 year left on his contract before he breaks the record for most expensive defenseman ever. Go FVCK yourself EJ.

100% agree with this, what the fvck is EJ smoking?

Good lord I hope Shero laughs and hangs the phone up if this is the cost.

30 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm beginning to think we could get a 3 for Lovejoy if we were so inclined....

I doubt it - Lovejoy has another year on his deal.  Also, the Devils really shouldn't be dealing any defensemen.  They might have 8 guys they like, but that's all they have - past Santini in the minors, it's Jacobs on the right side and on the left it's Brian Strait.  The Devils have been remarkably lucky when it comes to defenseman injuries this season.

• Like 1

I doubt it - Lovejoy has another year on his deal.  Also, the Devils really shouldn't be dealing any defensemen.  They might have 8 guys they like, but that's all they have - past Santini in the minors, it's Jacobs on the right side and on the left it's Brian Strait.  The Devils have been remarkably lucky when it comes to defenseman injuries this season.

Re: your last sentence there- *KNOCKS ON WOOD*.

14 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Gudbranson is off the market FWIW (whether it's a good idea or not is a whole other matter...) : 

Mike Morreale‏ Verified account @mikemorrealeNHL 

The Canucks have signed defenseman Erik Gudbranson to a three-year contract extension.

*30 other fanbases breathe a sigh of relief*

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derlique said:

I just don't trust Shero with dmen yet and Severson has been in the Hynes doghouse a few times in the last few years. You'd have to move Severson or Vatanen (they just got him so that's not happening) even if they do get Karlsson. Not enough minutes, especially if Karlsson is playing 25 mins a night.

My point is I don't think Ottawa automatically wants Severson, which would be great since you can flip him for a LHD. 

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

They'd definitely want a D coming back, so if it's not Severson, it'd be Butcher.

Probably, or Santini. Which would be amazeballs.

14 minutes ago, Marshall said:

My point is I don't think Ottawa automatically wants Severson, which would be great since you can flip him for a LHD. 

Probably, or Santini. Which would be amazeballs.

I'd assume that Ottawa would want Severson.  Bona fide top four right handed defensemen that might be getting better who's cost controlled.  Unless they're really, really desperate to get rid of the Bobby Ryan contract. 

If it's a package deal Ryan and Karlsson, the return is going to be a bitter pill for Ottawa fans if there ever was one.  Dorion must have gotten a lot of money to be the fall guy on this one.

I really doubt they'd move him before the deadline. If I was them I'd wait to see where they'll be picking at the draft.

Would likely be best for us too IF we'd make any moves...

then we'd know if Carlson is available still... cause we might be better off signing Carlson and keeping all our assets than having big K and losing depth

If Ottawa wants a team that trades for Karlsson to also take on Ryan's albatross of a contract............................

It means Ottawa is getting basically nothing for their best player.

I don't know of too many teams that can take on Ryan's contract and have to commit to Karlsson long term.

Ottawa fans would go ballistic if they got basically nothing in return for one of the best players in the NHL.