All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909
Devils have 0 players in Button's top-50 prospects.
Rangers have 3. Flyers have 4. I am sad now.
Surprised McLeod didn't make the cut. 

Two guys who would easily be on the list are on our first line and thriving instead, so you can stop being sad over an arbitrary list compiled by a former GM who is a former GM for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

https://www.tsn.ca/cupboard-is-stocked-for-up-and-coming-canucks-1.989909

Devils have 0 players in Button's top-50 prospects.

Rangers have 3. Flyers have 4. I am sad now.

Surprised McLeod didn't make the cut. 

I'm guessing Bratt wasn't in the top 50 last year either, so take it for what it's worth.  I feel like a guy like Boqvist would be on that list if he were drafted by a Canadian team.      

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 2

I'm guessing Bratt wasn't in the top 50 last year either, so take it for what it's worth.  I feel like a guy like Boqvist would be on that list if he were drafted by a Canadian team.      

Yeah Button loves to slurp the Canadian teams. If Boqvist was part of this supposedly revolutionary, gonna-own-the-league-soon Vancouver prospect pool, you can bet your ass he'd be on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the NHL.com article, so you don't have to go looking for it: https://www.nhl.com/news/devils-gm-wants-to-upgrade-without-mortgaging-future/c-295711948?tid=277548856

Snippet: 

"I'm not really deviating from the plan I set out to do when I took over here. I think we made our team better with some hockey deals, and whether it's some guys that came in identity-wise or for need … the Adam Henrique for Sami Vatanen deal with the Anaheim Ducks (Nov. 30) was made for certain reasons, and it helped both teams. I never say never to anything, but we'll get forwards Brian Gibbons (broken right thumb, seven games missed) and Marcus Johansson (concussion, five games missed) back at some point, and those are two key pieces for us. You're always looking to make a decent hockey deal, but if it's a rental, I don't see us getting into what those rentals might cost. Maybe it's a softer deal that solidifies a certain area or position, or maybe it's just another hockey deal that takes place. Whether it's team play or injuries, any GM will say that things can change. We'll keep our options open."

• Like 3

I trust Ray.  The biggest strength we have is how strong this team is defensively.  We're one of the best defensive teams in the league, and we're not too bad offensively either.  Goaltending hasn't been great, but it's certainly capable of being great.  There are no real holes with this team.

• Like 1

Guess it depends on what Shero's definition of a "rental" is.  If it only refers to players who are UFAs after this season ends, we're not talking about that big a universe of players, and you can pare that down further based on teams he is unlikely to trade with (Rangers, etc). 

Shero also might be doing a bit of signaling to the sellers out there who reportedly have opened with ridiculously high asking prices.

Just now, Daniel said:

Guess it depends on what Shero's definition of a "rental" is.  If it only refers to players who are UFAs after this season ends, we're not talking about that big a universe of players, and you can pare that down further based on teams he is unlikely to trade with (Rangers, etc). 

It's unlikely, but I do believe he was asked at a STH gathering if he'd trade with the Rangers and I believe he said yes? I remember there being some consternation among some fans over that answer. 

1 minute ago, Marshall said:

It's unlikely, but I do believe he was asked at a STH gathering if he'd trade with the Rangers and I believe he said yes? I remember there being some consternation among some fans over that answer. 

Lou would give pretty much the same line, but he never made a trade with them for the almost 30 years he was here (unless there's some obscure minor trade that I don't know about).

Shero attends games and knows how the fans feel about the Rangers.  Maybe he'll break the custom, but if there are any kind of deals between the teams, they'll be of the sort where there's no possibility that it helps make the Rangers a better team in the short or the long run. 

37 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I trust Ray.  The biggest strength we have is how strong this team is defensively.  We're one of the best defensive teams in the league, and we're not too bad offensively either.  Goaltending hasn't been great, but it's certainly capable of being great.  There are no real holes with this team.

One of the best defensive teams is a stretch, we're pretty average defensively which is fine if you have a good offense. We're 18th in CA/60, 13th in SA/60, 23rd in SCA/60, and 7th in HDCA/60.

40 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Now you have to be joking 

Imagine how good the Devils' D would be if Eric Gelinas was still here!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Now you have to be joking 

Nope.  All of the defensive metrics since the middle of November have us top 5-10 in defense.

54 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

One of the best defensive teams is a stretch, we're pretty average defensively which is fine if you have a good offense. We're 18th in CA/60, 13th in SA/60, 23rd in SCA/60, and 7th in HDCA/60.

Look at the ranks since the middle of November.

52 minutes ago, Marshall said:

Or, if you're a fan of proper weights and not arbitrary binning, 20th in expected goals against/60 at 5v5.

Any goal related metric is misleading because the goalies have been sub par.

• Since November 16th aka when we got Zajac back
  • CA/60: 8th
  • FA/60: 7th
  • SA/60: 4th
  • GA/60: 26th due to subpar goaltending
  • SCA/60: 7th
  • HDCA/60: 5th

• Since December 1st aka the Vatanen trade
  • CA/60: 7th
  • FA/60: 6th
  • SA/60: 4th
  • GA/60: 28th due to subpar goaltending
  • SCA/60: 11th
  • HDCA/60: 9th
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Any reason you arbitrarily picked "middle of november" as your start-date? Aside from the fact that you're a weird little dude?

It's when we got Zajac back.  That's a huge pickup.  It's not just some random date.  We were also playing with a non healthy lineup for the first month and a half.

17 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

You are right.  Our defense can certainly go toe to toe with the best of the best in the league.

Thank you Skynet.

1. I said the TEAM is elite defensively, and said nothing about the team blue liners.

2. They can.  Vatanen, Moore, and Severson have all played like top 4 d-men this year.  The only thing they're lacking is a true number 1.

5 minutes ago, Marshall said:

You obviously don't even know what an expected goals model is. 

Yes I do.  Goalie play is taken into account for expected goals against depending on the model you use.

Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that all the numbers I presented are raw numbers.  It also doesn't change the fact our goalies have the worst HDSV% since the middle of November.