All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

I hate to be that guy, but isn't Karlsson yet another RHD?  Santini, Severson, Vatanen (Lovejoy).  I suppose if you can deal Severson in the package, I'd be okay with it, but how much better does it really make us?  It's nit-picky, but I'd be looking at lefties (Greene, Butcher, Mueller, Moore).  I'd want another guy filling out the depth in that area.  I'm pretty okay with what we're rolling with, unless we're hitting on a Karlsson or Subban type player, and not Jack Johnson.  He's an overrated Andy Greene and Greene has some downs this year (that pass right to Radulov in front of Schneider sticks out like a sore thumb in the memory banks).  

Edited by RizzMB30

1 minute ago, Devs3cups said:

Yes, but I wouldn't trade him at all. He's had a slump but I believe he'll still be an effective player for us.

Agreed.  As long as he's still potting close to 30 every year I'm not going to complain.  I guess the question would be what would his value realistically be?  

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You’d trade Zacha and a 2nd round pick for a rental player who’s been kicked out of every city he’s played for because of character issues?

thank god the fans don’t run this team lol yikes

Idk about a rental, but if there’s a chance they could re-sign him I would do that deal. He would instantly be 1st on the team in goals, and 2nd in points. He would also bring some much needed toughness as well. I’m at the point with Zacha where I’m just not confident he’s ever going to amount to much. Yes I know he’s young, and it’s only his 2nd full season, but I just don’t see it. If they can get an nice piece for him why not? 

Edited by Nicomo

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

You’d trade Zacha and a 2nd round pick for a rental player who’s been kicked out of every city he’s played for because of character issues?

thank god the fans don’t run this team lol yikes

Unless Shero’s working on a better deal, I’d trade Zacha for a Kane rental.

Zacha stinks.  He never even dominated junior like he was supposed.  You don’t see him do anything of note on the ice.  He’s just there.  He’s a bust and Conte’s parting gift to the organization.  If you can get a good player for him, even as a rental, you do it.

11 hours ago, Jerzey said:

I feel like E Kane could ruin the chemistry this team has. At some point you have to believe the rumors of him being a locker room cancer.

If our locker room is so fragile that one player could come in here & blow it up? Maybe our room isn't as snug as we thunk it was.

3 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I already said “why not”. Kane is most likely a rental, and he’s a player who is about to be shipped off his second team (of two) for character issues. That is not someone we should want on this team.

He was traded once.  He’s not being traded by Buffalo for character issues, he’s going to be traded now because Buffalo is a bad team that he has no desire to re-sign with.  

Love his speed, and am not really concerned with his supposed character issues.  

I am concerned with the fact that Zacha does not appear to be good at playing hockey in the NHL.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Pavel Zacha still cannot buy beer legally in the United States. This isn’t his 5th season. He’s taking a little while to get going, that’s the nature of a young power forward type player. He’s not someone like Nico (or barzal) who’s speed and creativity immediately translates. When (not if) he becomes a productive NHL player it will be because he can use his size and his shot. Let me guess, you’re also one of those people who wanted to ship Larsson off for a bag of pucks when he struggled in his age 20 season? 

And the other argument is so stupid. There are a million things to fault Conte for, Zacha is not one of them. He was the consensus best player on the board, and this fan base would have had a total fvcking meltdown if the one of the worst offensive teams in NHL history drafted D. Even here, where 80% of the board is ready to jump off a cliff at everything that happens with this team, the Zacha draft thread is overwhelmingly positive. Triumph preferred Barzal at the time but we already know he’s pretty much always right. 

Zacha was nowhere near the consensus best player on the board at that point.  He had a lot of hype coming over from Czech, but could not even post better than a point a game in his draft year as a forward, which is a giant red flag.  

But regardless of “consensus” Conte and his staff were paid to get it right sometimes, and they pretty much were abject failures at that for a long, long time.  One of his flunkies, Claude Carrier actually said that Laine was the seventh best player on his board in 2016, and actually had McLeod ahead of him.  

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

But regardless of “consensus” Conte and his staff were paid to get it right sometimes, and they pretty much were abject failures at that for a long, long time.  One of his flunkies, Claude Carrier actually said that Laine was the seventh best player on his board in 2016, and actually had McLeod ahead of him.  

Where did you read that? Not to contradict at all, considering Conte's last few draft choices with us I wouldn't even doubt what you're saying. But I'm really interested to read that interview. That's brutal if true.

7 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Where did you read that? Not to contradict at all, considering Conte's last few draft choices with us I wouldn't even doubt what you're saying. But I'm really interested to read that interview. That's brutal if true.

I misremembered somewhat.  He had Laine 5 and didn’t have McLeod in his top ten, but still very screwy.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/lnh-claude-carrier-classe-patrik-laine-au-5e-rang-1.3324250

Noticably, no Clayton Keller in his top ten.  Not big enough I guess.  Again, this is a guy who was paid to get it right, at least occasionally.

Edited by Daniel

If our locker room is so fragile that one player could come in here & blow it up? Maybe our room isn't as snug as we thunk it was.

If your body is so weak and fragile that one tumor could blow it up, maybe you're not as healthy as you thought you were? There's a reason guys like Kane are called 'cancers'. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I misremembered somewhat.  He had Laine 5 and didn’t have McLeod in his top ten, but still very screwy.

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/lnh-claude-carrier-classe-patrik-laine-au-5e-rang-1.3324250

Noticably, no Clayton Keller in his top ten.  Not big enough I guess.  Again, this is a guy who was paid to get it right, at least occasionally.

Wow. Yeah I remember that article. I'm from Quebec so I scroll RDS every now and then. Fun fact, a football coach at my high school was Claude Carriers' son. I told him how big of a Devil's fan I am and he told me some stuff about Lou since he's met him a few times, etc. I've met Lou myself two summers ago in downtown Montreal. He was sitting at a restaurant with his wife and I didn't want to bother him so basically just said high to him and shaked his hand saying I was a Devils fan and wishing him best of luck in TO. So getting little inside info on him and the team at the time was pretty sweet!!

Edited by Devs3cups
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If your body is so weak and fragile that one tumor could blow it up, maybe you're not as healthy as you thought you were? There's a reason guys like Kane are called 'cancers'. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly don’t know a whole lot about the situation, but didn’t people say the same about PK Subban in Montreal? And he’s helped the Preds become one of the best teams in the league. 

• Like 1

Wow. Yeah I remember that article. I'm from Quebec so I scroll RDS every now and then. Fin fact, a football coach at my high school was Claude Carriers' son. I told him that how big of a Devil's fan I am and he told me some stuff about Lou since he's met him a few times, etc. I've met Lou myself two summers ago in downtown Montreal, he was sitting at a restaurant with his wife and I didn't want to bother him so basically just said high to him and shaked his hand. So getting little inside info on him and the team at the time was pretty sweet!!

I mean, I don’t want to crap on the guy too much.  Nothing against him or Conte personally, and all we’re talking about ultimately is a silly game.  

It just gets back to what we think Zacha is going to be as we were talking about trading him.  And all I’m getting at is that the brain trust that, according to Shero, had to have him, had a lot of duds in recent years and seem to be screwy in their rankings when we know at they are.

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I honestly don’t know a whole lot about the situation, but didn’t people say the same about PK Subban in Montreal? And he’s helped the Preds become one of the best teams in the league. 

It's a similar situation indeed. As a Quebecer, I can vouch for that. But I would compare Kane's situation even moreto Galchekyuk's in MTL. Subban had a big attitude in a room full of dull leaders. Galchenyuk has been reported as a big party/alcohol/trouble guy. That maybe fits Kane's situation more?

Edited by Devs3cups

It's a similar situation indeed. As a Quebecer, I can vouch for that. But I would compare Kane's situation to Galchekyuk's in MTL. Subban had a big attitude in a room full of dull leaders. Galchenyuk has been reported as a big party/alcohol/drugs guy. That maybe fits Kane's situation more?

Must be the name. The other Kane cant seem to keep himself out of trouble off the ice either. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

I think the difference is that with Subban it was a lot of rumor and innuendo, but with Kane, at least in Winnipeg, it was pretty much an established fact that his teammates hated him.  Plus Subban is a much more valuable player than Kane.

If you get Kane as a rental, he’ll be on his best behavior this year anyway.  Plus, he’s more grown up than he was in Winnipeg where he probably thought he was real hot sh!t.