All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, it was in his 31 thoughts.  I kind of wonder why it’s coming up now.   Hard to believe the Devils and Isles make a significant trade like that during the season when both are vying against each other for playoff position.  I guess the Isles might deal him for Kinkaid, and the Devils take their chance with Eddie Lack as the backup.  

I don't see why the Devils would do that.  They have no goalie depth in the minors.  They traded for Lack because of that.

Shero's said this before that he would deal with anyone and I don't really get why a team wouldn't trade with a team they're in the same division with.  There might be certain types of trades you would avoid making in division, but if it's a hockey trade that involves few futures like the Henrique-Vatanen deal?  If both teams get better, so be it - they get better relative to all the other teams in the division.

1 hour ago, Triumph said:

I don't see why the Devils would do that.  They have no goalie depth in the minors.  They traded for Lack because of that.

Shero's said this before that he would deal with anyone and I don't really get why a team wouldn't trade with a team they're in the same division with.  There might be certain types of trades you would avoid making in division, but if it's a hockey trade that involves few futures like the Henrique-Vatanen deal?  If both teams get better, so be it - they get better relative to all the other teams in the division.

I mean if it were an off-season deal or one of the teams was not in the playoff picture it would make a little more sense, but it seems like the type of deal that teams don’t do in season when they’re directly competing against one another.

The other thing is Nelson any good, or do the Isles see themselves having much use for him?  Other than Kinkaid, I don’t see anyone the Devils would be willing to trade in that sort of deal that the Isles would want, unless Shero has lost his mind and doesn’t think Severson is any good.

Just a very strange report.

2 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

Cory for 4 1sts? probably not

If we were as bad this year as we were last year and were prepared to start selling off pieces, then I would consider that. Sitting in second place (or it could be 8th by the time I hit "Submit Reply" because everything is so close), hopefully about to enter the playoffs for the first time in a long time, that's not a deal to make now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If we were as bad this year as we were last year and were prepared to start selling off pieces, then I would consider that. Sitting in second place (or it could be 8th by the time I hit "Submit Reply" because everything is so close), hopefully about to enter the playoffs for the first time in a long time, that's not a deal to make now. 

and once we send cory to the isles those draft picks get worse and worse... thats the killer imo

51 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Only way you could do that is if you had a top prospect that was clearly ready to be a #1...and even then, I'd want at least one or two established players that could help me now.  The Caps received five first-round picks as compensation for losing Scott Stevens as a Group 2 FA...they turned out to be:

Trevor Halverson, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner and Miika Elomo

Gonchar obviously had a fine career, and Witt did play a lot of games as a Cap (well over 600), but the other three players did very little...in some cases, just about nothing.  Having a bevy of extra firsts isn't as sure of a thing as it can sound. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Only way you could do that is if you had a top prospect that was clearly ready to be a #1...and even then, I'd want at least one or two established players that could help me now.  The Caps received five first-round picks as compensation for losing Scott Stevens as a Group 2 FA...they turned out to be:

Trevor Halverson, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt, Nolan Baumgartner and Miika Elomo

Gonchar obviously had a fine career, and Witt did play a lot of games as a Cap (well over 600), but the other three players did very little...in some cases, just about nothing.  Having a bevy of first isn't as sure of a thing as it can sound. 

I’m curious as to whether the average first round pick is much more valuable now than it was in the late 80s and early 90s.  It’s quite plausible that it is when you consider scouting ought to be more thorough now, especially at the international level, there are more American kids playing hockey, and a greater pool of young Russian players are better prepared for the pro game.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean if it were an off-season deal or one of the teams was not in the playoff picture it would make a little more sense, but it seems like the type of deal that teams don’t do in season when they’re directly competing against one another.

The other thing is Nelson any good, or do the Isles see themselves having much use for him?  Other than Kinkaid, I don’t see anyone the Devils would be willing to trade in that sort of deal that the Isles would want, unless Shero has lost his mind and doesn’t think Severson is any good.

Just a very strange report.

Again, I agree that teams seldom do it, but Shero has said that he doesn't really think about things in this way and that he doesn't care - if it makes the team better, he'll do it.  And again, I do not see why teams don't do it, as long as it is a hockey trade without futures - if both teams get equally better, why should it matter?

I don't know what NJ would've traded for Nelson or what that deal might've looked like.  Nelson and Ho-Sang for Severson and Stafford/Hayes?  I don't know.

39 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gonchar obviously had a fine career, and Witt did play a lot of games as a Cap (well over 600), but the other three players did very little...in some cases, just about nothing.  Having a bevy of extra firsts isn't as sure of a thing as it can sound. 

I definitely agree...and it would have to be a sh!tty team where those first rounders might be better. 

I'm just saying, there's times where teams just start dumping everything for picks or prospects because they are in a total rebuild. In that situation, if you needed Cory off the books, maybe you take the 4 1sts. That's all I meant. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I definitely agree...and it would have to be a sh!tty team where those first rounders might be better. 

I'm just saying, there's times where teams just start dumping everything for picks or prospects because they are in a total rebuild. In that situation, if you needed Cory off the books, maybe you take the 4 1sts. That's all I meant. 

Maybe if you're in salary cap hell and you've dealt a number of picks in "win now" deals, yeah, you might just do it then...like Shero has shown, it's not like you have to keep all of the picks either.  You can move one with something else for an asset. 

27 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Again, I agree that teams seldom do it, but Shero has said that he doesn't really think about things in this way and that he doesn't care - if it makes the team better, he'll do it.  And again, I do not see why teams don't do it, as long as it is a hockey trade without futures - if both teams get equally better, why should it matter?

I don't know what NJ would've traded for Nelson or what that deal might've looked like.  Nelson and Ho-Sang for Severson and Stafford/Hayes?  I don't know.

Yes, I’m aware Shero said that, although he said it in the context of Kovalchuk staying in Russia when he was asked if a deal with the Rangers was something that came up.  It was a lot easier for him to say that he could make a deal with anyone than to actually do it. Lou said the same stuff about trading with the Rangers and of course it never happened.  Did Shero ever make trades with in season division rivals when he was in Pittsburgh?

In any event, I’m not doubting the report, as it would be the most bizarre instance of someone making up a sports story, perhaps ever.  (Yeah, I’ll really cause social media to go crazy by making up a story about, wait for it, the Devils being interested in trading for Brock Nelson).  

I just don’t know what Ray or the Islanders are really up to with that one.  

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yes, I’m aware Shero said that, although he said it in the context of Kovalchuk staying in Russia when he was asked if a deal with the Rangers was something that came up.  It was a lot easier for him to say that he could make a deal with anyone than to actually do it. Lou said the same stuff about trading with the Rangers and of course it never happened.  Did Shero ever make trades with in season division rivals when he was in Pittsburgh?

In any event, I’m not doubting the report, as it would be the most bizarre instance of someone making up a sports story, perhaps ever.  (Yeah, I’ll really cause social media to go crazy by making up a story about, wait for it, the Devils being interested in trading for Brock Nelson).  

I just don’t know what Ray or the Islanders are really up to with that one.  

Bill Guerin comes to mind.  Depends on how you define rival though lol.

Are there any names on the Trade Bait Board which would actually make sense for the Devils to trade for, given that we're not looking to give up picks and are not billed as a Cup Contender?  I would think maybe only guys on contracts that are not UFA in case we feel they fit into long term plans...

Those guys (on non-UFA contracts are):

• Hoffman, signed 2 more years - i think he would cost a ton to acquire
  • Pacioretty, signed 1 more year - for being signed only 1 more year, not worth it
  • Galchenyuk, signed 2 more years - interesting case
  • Z. Smith, signed 3 more years - i like Smith personally but probably not needed
  • A. Shaw, signed 4 more years - a more talented Zack Smith... maybe
  • Pageau, signed 2 more years - only if Zajac somehow finds himself elsewhere
  • Phaneuf, signed 3 more years - no, too cap costly
  • Barrie, signed 2 more years - would love it, but probably will cost a fortune

3 minutes ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

Are there any names on the Trade Bait Board which would actually make sense for the Devils to trade for, given that we're not looking to give up picks and are not billed as a Cup Contender?  I would think maybe only guys on contracts that are not UFA in case we feel they fit into long term plans...

• Pacioretty, signed 1 more year - for being signed only 1 more year, not worth it
  • Z. Smith, signed 3 more years - i like Smith personally but probably not needed

A deal was apparently pretty close for Galchenyuk in the offseason.  But with the emergence of Bratt and Nico being a legit NHLer already, I don’t think we need another forward.  Scoring really isn’t the team’s problem, so I’d only go after Kane if the market for him nosedives.

I’ll make a special note to say that I will start breaking things if Ray trades for Phaneuf, even if Ottawa gives him to us and pays half his salary.  He sucks and is only getting worse.

If the rumors about OEL being available are true, that’s what Ray should be looking at. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

A deal was apparently pretty close for Galchenyuk in the offseason.  But with the emergence of Bratt and Nico being a legit NHLer already, I don’t think we need another forward.  Scoring really isn’t the team’s problem, so I’d only go after Kane if the market for him nosedives.

I’ll make a special note to say that I will start breaking things if Ray trades for Phaneuf, even if Ottawa gives him to us and pays half his salary.  He sucks and is only getting worse.

If the rumors about OEL being available are true, that’s what Ray should be looking at. 

OEL is a -40! The next minus guy is Petry (Habs) -22. I realize he's on crap team but cheeze, also Max Domi 3 goals in last 40 games. And one of those was an empty netter. I'm a lil scared of acquiring Yotes. They're shell-shocked. W/ D. Strome in the A. Doing Ok but had opportunities to stay. Still aint ready.

2 hours ago, Sharifijanov2099 said:

I don't have much hunger to acquire any of these cept maybe Galchenyuk. I love who we have now, Love #23, #44,  #40 we have a very good bottom 6.

15 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

OEL is a -40! The next minus guy is Petry (Habs) -22. I realize he's on crap team but cheeze, also Max Domi 3 goals in last 40 games. And one of those was an empty netter. I'm a lil scared of acquiring Yotes. They're shell-shocked. W/ D. Strome in the A. Doing Ok but had opportunities to stay. Still aint ready.

One could argue it’s the best time to acquire them. Always buy low. 

• Like 2

Could we be advertising Lovejoy for sale? He has played well over the last month and with Muller and Santini both available to play he could be being used as trade bait. Not sure what we could get for him.

He is a right shot and so is Santini. Would rather Santini play then sit in the press box.

Butcher, Greene, Lovejoy, Moore, Severson, Vatanen, Santini, Mueller (soon).

You have 8 capable defensemen here that (arguably) need NHL icetime.  Santini you could maybe make the case for spending some time in the AHL.. but I don't believe that.  Unfortunately, barring an immediate trade, it looks like he will be in the minors full-time once Mueller comes back.

There has to be a trade in the works to be made before the deadline involving one of the D, imo.  Moore seems to be the obvious candidate, being a UFA and all at the end of the season.