All purpose general trade speculation thread

Daniel

I agree with Tri here. I think they need to stick with what they have unless something is stupid obvious. Right now - I think we're missing that 2nd line center role comfortably - but I'm not willing to give up much to get one. I'd rather take my chances in offseason or rookies next year. Travis is a 3rd liner at this point, I'm good with that, but I don't think his contract his moveable. 

A sure-fire top 4D would be helpful, but I'm not sure who goes, what it'll cost, etc. 

Let's see how the team performs here in the next couple weeks, they don't "need" to make the playoffs - but they "need" to make the playoffs. The organization needs it. 

Darren Dreger just said on Sportcenter that he believes Tavares and the Islanders will find a deal that is good for both sides, but a few executives told him that if he was to hit the FA market this summer, he would/could command around 15 mil per for 7 years. holy sh!t. Makes me wonder how much Shero will have to throw to resign Hall. 8.5-9.5ish per for 8 years? 

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

Darren Dreger just said on Sportcenter that he believes Tavares and the Islanders will find a deal that is good for both sides, but a few executives told him that if he was to hit the FA market this summer, he would/could command around 15 mil per for 7 years. holy sh!t. Makes me wonder how much Shero will have to throw to resign Hall. 8.5-9.5ish per for 8 years? 

I’d give Hall that deal.

2 hours ago, Devs3cups said:

Same here. Do you think that would be enough to keep him at that point in his career? Do you think that’s a fair amount for him? Maybe 10-10.5? 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

It’ll probably be pretty close to that.  

Yup, gonna have to back an armored truck up to his house, hopefully that’ll be enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

9-10 per season isn’t exactly all that much any more. We haven’t needed to give out a big contract in a while, but that’s not all that large a percentage of the cap.

Yeah, it ought to be very manageable, especially if Nico doesn’t explode and need a Matthews or McDavid like contract, which probably won’t be the case.  There should be enough space for another big contract for one of  Carlson, OEL or Karlsson if any one of them is in the cards.  

12 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

If Nico explodes and needs a Matthews or McDavid contract, we’ll figure something out lol that’s a fantastic problem to have.

If it’s anything like what you’ve worked out for Taylor Hall, he’s a guaranteed lifetime Devil. 

• Thanks 1

Devils Insiders Retweeted Brian Wilde‏ @BWildeRecrutes

On Calgary radio, @FriedgeHNIC says that Bergevin is the most active already among all GMs. He is, he says, working on the rebuild. He adds apparently only Price and Mete are untouchable.

Price shouldn't be untouchable if he really wants to accelerate that rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Price shouldn't be untouchable if he really wants to accelerate that rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they want to tank it makes no sense to trade Price.  He must have a NMC and he costs a ton.  So they would get nothing close to even value if they traded him.  Would be like the Marlins trading Stanton.

As I've said before, Montreal needs to fundamentally change how it does things.  First, it has to do away with its requirement that the GM and head coach have to speak French.  Team should be more concerned with winning than public relations.  Second, it needs a front office that can pretty much cut off the local press to it's internal deliberations and whatever's happening in the lockerroom other than what the team wants the public to see.  The perfect guy for that would be Lou.  Just make sure he doesn't have too much control over scouting. 

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

if you want to rebuild. I'm not sure why you'd keep a goalie with an history of injuries, costing you 10.5m per season... Also if you're a goalie getting paid 10.5m... why would you want to be part of a rebuild? 

If the goal is to tank, then by all means dump Price for whatever you can get.  Bergevin might as well pack his bags now if that’s what ownership wants. 

Point is though, there are maybe four teams at most that have the need and the cap space for someone like Price, and that’s probably an overestimate.  

There’s a reason why there’s been only one goalie in the past ten years that’s brought back a good haul in a trade, and he plays for us.

17 hours ago, Daniel said:

Unless they want to tank it makes no sense to trade Price.  He must have a NMC and he costs a ton.  So they would get nothing close to even value if they traded him.  Would be like the Marlins trading Stanton.

Signing him to that extension was a win now move. They have no realised they're not in win now territory. Keeping him makes no sense unless you think you can contend in the next two seasons.

People point to Lundqvist for longevity etc, but I don't think Price is going to be that guy. His body looks like it's breaking down fast. Now, soon his contract might be basically untradeable all by itself, but that's another matter.

On 1/18/2018 at 10:24 AM, HellOnICE said:

I agree with Tri here. I think they need to stick with what they have unless something is stupid obvious. Right now - I think we're missing that 2nd line center role comfortably - but I'm not willing to give up much to get one. I'd rather take my chances in offseason or rookies next year. Travis is a 3rd liner at this point, I'm good with that, but I don't think his contract his moveable. 

A sure-fire top 4D would be helpful, but I'm not sure who goes, what it'll cost, etc. 

Let's see how the team performs here in the next couple weeks, they don't "need" to make the playoffs - but they "need" to make the playoffs. The organization needs it. 

We needed one,  and Shero got one in Sami. I think he's done for the year on D. Ian Cole is interesting? (good stay at home D) i would think they would want a D prospect in return?

21 hours ago, Daniel said:

As I've said before, Montreal needs to fundamentally change how it does things.  First, it has to do away with its requirement that the GM and head coach have to speak French.  Team should be more concerned with winning than public relations.  Second, it needs a front office that can pretty much cut off the local press to it's internal deliberations and whatever's happening in the lockerroom other than what the team wants the public to see.  The perfect guy for that would be Lou.  Just make sure he doesn't have too much control over scouting. 

Living in Montreal I agree with you on the points you made and I would even add a couple to them.

1- The corner the Habs paint themselves into every time they look for a new GM/coach makes absolutely no sense. Keep politics away from sports. You can't always reduce your options to the best French-speaking guy available if you want the best performances.

2- To a certain extent this mindset is also applied to the players they draft. On numerous occasions, the club has ignored players that were better in order to draft French-speaking guys. Drafting French-speaking players is something the media here in MTL demand ( mind you, the Habs have IMHO at most an okay scouting department that makes a lot of mistakes which in turn puts them in a hole anytime they want to do any kind of upscale trades).

3- You only have to be in Montreal for a year or two to realize that the team is run by the French media. What they say is what happens sooner or later. Subban was the most loved player (after Price) by the fans. He was terrific on and off the ice. However, for some unknown (to me) reasons, French-speaking journalists did not like him and started calling for his head a year and a half before the trade happened. He was traded and now you can see the results of that trade. The year and a half leading to his trade saw all the imaginable excuses being put out in the French media to have him shipped out: Does not fit into the system, not liked by his teammates, s**** stirrer, too flamboyant, Subban's image became bigger than the club's image, he causes too many turnovers when he tries spectacular stuff...those are the ones I can remember 

Keep in mind this happened in a city that has not seen any exciting players like Subban for about 20-25 years and that before him all you could hear in the local media was that they would be willing to do anything to have a player like that on the roster. This is not the first time something like this has happened and it's also the reason why the club complies with the French-speaking GM/coach/player unwritten policy. French-speaking medias have made it a non-bargainable point and they seem to always get what they want sooner or later.

It's also important to point out that whatever the French-speaking media hammer over and over again 24hrs a day (hockey mecca here) always ends up being adopted by a non-negligible portion of the fans as ''their opinion'' which in turn puts even more pressure on the club officials to comply with whatever the journalists are asking for.   

The Canadiens gave Carey Price 70m in signing bonuses when he signed that contract. It would be more than surprising to see Price move (except if it's him that asks for a move). What was actually surprising is the fact that he re-signed with the Habs when it was really predictable that they would be in that position. They let go Radulov, Markov and Emelin all in one summer without replacing anybody (except for the Alzner signing)  on a team that already has an abysmal attack with no 1st or 2nd center and expected to be decent. Basically what they did last summer was lose their most important creative forward without having any good centers and they made their defense worse. 

Ps: Funny thing is that during summer, the media here in MTL were actually happy with the off-season business because they had traded for Drouin: ''a French-speaking guy that would put his heart on the ice unlike the English-speaking ones). This gives you an idea of the mindset that plagues this club and to a certain extent a portion of the fans. 

• Like 4

This team really has no glaring weaknesses.

We don't need help on defense like some people think.  John Moore, Damon Severson, and Sami Vatanen have all essentially played like top 4 defensemen this year if not top 2 defensmen.  Then having Butcher, Mueller, Greene, Loveoy, and Santini filling out the other 3 spots really makes the defense corps deep.

If there is one area we could use an upgrade at, it's the 2nd line center spot.  In a perfect world, Zajac would be the 3rd line center and not the 2nd line center.  Now in order to upgrade there we can one of two things trade wise.

• trade directly for a 2nd line center
    • I don't really know of which centers have been rumored to be available.
  • trade for a scoring LW and then move Mojo to the 2nd line center spot.
    • We all know there are a few of these available in guys like Galchenyuk, Kane, Pacioretty, Nelson, Vanek, and Hoffman.

If not a trade, then imo they should just put Zacha there and really let him loose.  He needs to be given an opportunity in the top 6 at some point if we expect him to produce and be successful.

1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

This team really has no glaring weaknesses.

We don't need help on defense like some people think.  John Moore, Damon Severson, and Sami Vatanen have all essentially played like top 4 defensemen this year if not top 2 defensmen.  Then having Butcher, Mueller, Greene, Loveoy, and Santini filling out the other 3 spots really makes the defense corps deep.

If there is one area we could use an upgrade at, it's the 2nd line center spot.  In a perfect world, Zajac would be the 3rd line center and not the 2nd line center.  Now in order to upgrade there we can one of two things trade wise.

• trade directly for a 2nd line center
    • I don't really know of which centers have been rumored to be available.
  • trade for a scoring LW and then move Mojo to the 2nd line center spot.
    • We all know there are a few of these available in guys like Galchenyuk, Kane, Pacioretty, Nelson, Vanek, and Hoffman.

If not a trade, then imo they should just put Zacha there and really let him loose.  He needs to be given an opportunity in the top 6 at some point if we expect him to produce and be successful.

There are two types of trades that make sense.  One is to get someone like Kane or  Galchenyuk at a real bargain price.  The other is to swing for the fences for someone Karlsson or OEL.  I don’t believe the latter is so outlandish, and it could be done without really gutting the prospect pipeline.  Nico and especially Bratt have been a godsend in that respect.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There are two types of trades that make sense.  One is to get someone like Kane or  Galchenyuk at a real bargain price.  The other is to swing for the fences for someone Karlsson or OEL.  I don’t believe the latter is so outlandish, and it could be done without really gutting the prospect pipeline.  Nico and especially Bratt have been a godsend in that respect.

I'm not sure this team is at the point where we go "all in" just yet.  The good news about OEL and Karlsson is that there value should be lowered by their contract statuses, but they'll still cost a hefty price.  I think going after one of the LW'ers would be the most ideal, but I trust Ray no matter what he decides to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I'm not sure this team is at the point where we go "all in" just yet.  The good news about OEL and Karlsson is that there value should be lowered by their contract statuses, but they'll still cost a hefty price.  I think going after one of the LW'ers would be the most ideal, but I trust Ray no matter what he decides to do.

With OEL, I’m just going on reputation.  I’ve said it before though, Karlsson makes this team a Cup contender for the next two years.  He made a much worse Ottawa team just that last year.  And the Devils can afford to give either of them the contract extension they want.