CommonDreads

GDT: 1/4/18 Devils @ Stars

I didn't see this mentioned regarding The Turnover, but that's Zacha's spot. Why is he 2 feet away from Greene? They've been running the same break-out all season, Zacha *should* be where the pass went. Greene played the system, Zacha didn't. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jagknife said:

On the contrary, I've seen a good number of guys play the puck as they leave the box, hell Gibbons did it a week or two ago and I'd swear his right skate was still in the box. Problem is Vats stopped trying to exit the box and played it while planted in there.

Let's also remember Clowe [I think] played the puck from the goddamn bench and didn't get penalized....

A good number as in how many out of a hundred penalties? Gibbons, maybe, maybe not Clowe from the bench how many years ago. I bet you would be hard pressed to find a handful at most  per season.  It's a terrible mistake. 

Lots of guys play the puck leaving the box, once both skates are on the ice. 

Edited by titans04

16 hours ago, jagknife said:

I'm okay with him not knowing the rule, what pisses me off is Greene blatantly saying he didn't see Radulov. As someone said earlier, he's an 11 year vet, that's inexcusable.

@Colorado Rockies 1976

I've been thinking up a reply pretty much all day to your lengthy, well written post.

I feel like I may be one of those people you were referring to with Greene.

The reason I get so pissed at Greene's game falling off of the proverbial cliff isn't 100% that he hasn't been scratched. That is part of it, but as you said it takes time to bench a captain who is making $5m/yr, and you cant do it overnight. The evidence, IMO, has been there for weeks and we have reached that point where Hynes would absolutely be justified in doing so.

My biggest issue really is, outside of this board, he seems to be beyond reproach. I'm in no way looking for Hynes to come out and call him out to the media, I'm a firm believer in praise in public, chastise in private. What I do expect is as writers, commentators and personalities to tell it like it is and be honest when assessing the game we watch. Why does it matter to me? I have zero freaking idea, but it bothers me that anyone on this team can get called out but I cannot honestly remember hearing anything negative towards him.

Yeah I understand this completely...you'd just like to see this acknowledged once in a while.  There's two players that come to mind about whom I've felt the same way.  One was the 2000-01 version of Brodeur...though he did have some very good runs that season, he also was pretty bad for extended stretches, and no one seemed willing to take any notice.  Chico would often say "You don't see Marty give up a goal like that very often."  I'd be thinking "Actually Chico, I see him give up goals like that a lot, because he really hasn't been all that good this year!".  But I don't remember any criticism being leveled at him by the media at all.

Don't know if you watch much Mets baseball (unfortunately I do), but ditto the above with David Wright.  His last 2-3 years (when he was healthy enough to play), he was almost a guaranteed strikeout or double play whenever he came up to the plate is a big RBI spot...it got to the point where it was part torture and part comical to know what the result was going to be...if I had a dime for every time I yelled "Oh of fvckING course!" at my TV just after one of those moments...but the Mets announcers would continue to act as though Wright striding up to the plate in a big moment was somehow this great thing that should have us all excited.  It almost feels like an insult to your intelligence. 

In Greene's case, I think he's an extremely well-liked guy in a lot of circles, and those who are tend to get the benefit of the doubt the longest...he's also banked a lot of currency through longevity.  I've always thought of Greene as a bit of a hardworking overachiever (I never would've expected him to play well over 700 games with the Devils, much less be their captain one day), and those guys also tend to get a little of a longer leash, as they earn a lot of respect from their peers...crazy as it sounds, don't be surprised if some of his teammates become upset if/when he's scratched.

I'm with you completely in that if Greene was announced as a healthy scratch, I would feel much more relief than sadness, but since we're still about 10 games away from that possibility, for now I'm just going to cross my fingers as hard as I can and hope that Greene can somehow stop being such a friggin' liability...though I don't see it happening.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I didn't see this mentioned regarding The Turnover, but that's Zacha's spot. Why is he 2 feet away from Greene? They've been running the same break-out all season, Zacha *should* be where the pass went. Greene played the system, Zacha didn't. 
Playing blind passes in front of your own goal doesn't seem like a winning formula

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As I expected Vatanen didn’t even know the rule about touching the puck from the box...

At least he owned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.d19f81a93ad16beffbff094568a71202.png

FWIW, Trav is back: 

Amanda Stein ‏Verified account @amandacstein #NJDevils: 

After taking a Palmieri shot to the head on Thursday night, Travis Zajac is getting ready to hop on the ice for 1:30p practice in Newark. Appears good to go. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Marshall said:

Greene “played the system” by throwing a no look pass in front of his goalie? sh!t system.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Greene “played the system” by throwing a no look pass in front of his goalie? sh!t system.

Yeah that was an awful argument. Even if Zacha was there, you don’t throw a no look pass to him in front of your own net and just hope he receives it.

Greene made a mistake that most of my 10 and 11 year old soccer players know they should never do. 

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that was an awful argument. Even if Zacha was there, you don’t throw a no look pass to him in front of your own net and just hope he receives it.

Greene made a mistake that most of my 10 and 11 year old soccer players know they should never do. 

Players throw a lot of no-look passes based on how the system is played, especially deep in their own zone...

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marshall said:

Players throw a lot of no-look passes based on how the system is played, especially deep in their own zone...

Not to the front of the goal.